WiFi Issues, Desperately Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadface

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Im new here but I could really use some help.

My Galaxy S3 will not connect to any WiFi. It either tries, and tells me "network disabled because internet connection is slow", or it gets to "obtaining IP" and then just stops, or says "failed to obtain IP".

I have tried most solutions, including unchecking "Auto network switch" (which was already off because my phone does not have a SIM card), entering the hidden menu and unchecking the wifi power saver option, Ive restarted, taken out the battery and factory reset a number of times, but to no avail.

The only thing I havent tried is resetting the router because they are my neighbor's open networks.
There are two different connections, and both work fine, and fast on my laptop.

My phone was rooted (at least partially, because the su binary was not installed for some reason, and because of that, busybox wouldnt install). Also, I dont know if they are connected, but I had installed luckypatcher, and applied patches to a couple apps for in-app purchases, that was the same day I started experiencing these issues.

So thats about all I can think of right now, I would really, really appreciate any help and suggestions you guys could give.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Router problems are common with newer phones on older routers. The problem most often is related to older (outdated) protocols in the firmware of the router. As newer phones are manufactured, they are made to be more compliant to the protocol standards, and often times the older firmware on routers had a problem where it was not 100% compliant, so now you have a 100% compliant phone trying to connect to a protocol that doesn't follow the protocol rules 100%, and you have a disconnect. Your phone is constantly being updated or was updated several times since being manufactured, however routers don't self-update. You have to go onto the manufacturer's site and download the new firmware and flash it to the router to bring it into current compliance.

You'll likely have to tell your neighbor that the WIFI that you've been piggybacking on with his dollar is no longer giving you free WIFI and he will need to update his routers if he wants you to still have free internet access on his dime.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Another option would be to offer to replace the router, if they know you're piggybacking.

Hate to ask, but have got verified you're running the latest firmware for your phone?

OP
D

deadface

Reaction score
The hostility really is unwarranted, although I do appreciate the advice. If I werent so poor, Id pay for my own wifi, but that isnt an option right now. Life is a bit more difficult for others. Anyway, Ive had this phone for a good while now, and the wifi from either connections never gave me a problem, so I cant imagine them both giving me problems at the same time. It has to be an issue with the phone itself.

My phone is 4.3 Jellybean, I believe. There has been an update available for a week or so, but I didnt want to be bothered, but it wouldnt even be an option now considering the phone cant get a connection.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No hostility. Some people are generous with their Wi-Fi but if he's not aware, it is technically misappropriation. If you go to a coffee shop that offers free Wi-Fi that's different. Still it's his responsibility to lock down his.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If your neighbor is aware of you using their guest network just ask them to do a reboot of their router. A good neighbor might want to make sure their sharing is working as it should anyway and older routers it's not a bad idea to reboot about once a month anyway. Heck they might even be having the same frustration on their main network and you might be the one to offer the solution.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
If your phone connects to a public WIFI without issue, we can narrow it down to your neighbor's router.

OP
D

deadface

Reaction score
If your neighbor is aware of you using their guest network just ask them to do a reboot of their router. A good neighbor might want to make sure their sharing is working as it should anyway and older routers it's not a bad idea to reboot about once a month anyway. Heck they might even be having the same frustration on their main network and you might be the one to offer the solution.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
I would have no problem doing so, but I live in an apartment building, so narrowing down the source would be pretty difficult. But there are two different connections that I use, meaning two different routers. Is it really possible for both to start having issues at the exact same time?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I would have no problem doing so, but I live in an apartment building, so narrowing down the source would be pretty difficult. But there are two different connections that I use, meaning two different routers. Is it really possible for both to start having issues at the exact same time?
Not likely. It could be a hardware issue. Have you tried returning to stock?

OP
D

deadface

Reaction score
Not likely. It could be a hardware issue. Have you tried returning to stock?
Not yet, my next question was actually going to be if that would help the situation. I was trying to download the stock firmware, but the download failed, and the website (rapidgator) tells me that the captcha expired and that I had to wait over an hour before trying again. Would you happen to have a link where I could find the stock for my model?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Sorry to hear about your Wi-Fi issues @deadface. These guys have given you some great information. Unfortunately as stated, you'll likely have to either check with your neighbor, or return to stock.
I know the latest software updates for the S3 fixed a number of WiFi issues, so that could be it. That said, since your device is still "partially" rooted, you'll want to make sure you'll follow the correct steps to return your device to stock, or an easier option may be to simply fix your root problems. Definitely update Superuser or SuperSU before doing anything. It sounds like the "luckpatcher" app you're using may have, at least in part, contributed to this, so try uninstalling that first. Reboot your device, fix/update Superuser, and proceed from there.
Good luck & let us know how it goes.

S5 tap'n

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
There are two ways to obtain your stock image. I use sammobile.com for direct download. But I recommend you follow the kies method to restore your device first! Unless you have Verizon. Let me know if you need any help returning to stock! What carrier you are on matters so... I think there was a question in there??!!?? XD

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Again, if you're in an apartment building and you're getting "free" WIFI from two different routers within range, probably other apartment dwellers who don't know the benefits to locking down their routers with password protection, then by their failure to protect themselves, you are benefiting at their expense. I am not saying that what you are doing is necessarily "wrong" in the pure sense, since you don't know, and really have no way of telling whether they are "sharing" their WIFI to be a nice guy/good Samaritan as @mountainbikermark suggests, or if they are simply oblivious to the uninvited and undesired intrusion.

Where the problems for the person paying for that WIFI comes, are that their network is more open to attack, to having their own personal data on computer and phone storage drives exposed to the internet or stolen by unscrupulous persons for their own gain. There are criminals who drive around with WIFI equipment and directional antennas in their cars and look for open networks like those to infiltrate and try to steal personal data such as credit card numbers, social security numbers, names and dates of birth, in order to then use that information for their own personal and illegal gain.

Likewise, you are opening yourself up to similar attacks by being on that open network, and in fact the owner of that network (or anyone else on the same network), could potentially gain access to YOUR personal data. Who is to say that's not the intention of leaving that network open? Perhaps they are doing so in a "fishing" scheme to see who will jump on and then to see what they can pull from your phone, computer or other device?

On a lesser note the person (s) who is/are allowing their network to be "open" (whether knowingly or unknowingly), are essentially going to suffer a reduction in their own WIFI speeds due to their limited pipeline throughput (bandwidth), being divided down and "shared" between any number of other unknown "guests". So by you using their network, you are slowing their network speeds, the speeds they are paying for. The question is, if they knew you were using it would they approve or disapprove?

We as a forum are intolerant to (or at the very least frown upon), anyone using any methods to gain personally in any manner that is immoral, unethical and/or possibly illegal (though I am not suggesting this is the case here, however), so my initial post and response to you was to toss a hint that maybe you shouldn't be "borrowing" or "sharing" the internet service of others who are paying for it. There are plenty of places you can go to which "offer" free WIFI as a value to their patrons, and you could do your internet communications there without taking advantage of others who are suffering these losses unknowingly. Now, one could say "is it not their own responsibility to protect themselves?" Well, yes, but at the same time, perhaps using a fringe analogy - if I place my bicycle against a telephone pole on the street and go into a store to buy a soda, is it justified that someone take my bike while I'm inside and oblivious to the "intrusion", simply because I didn't lock it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.