WiFi Issues, Desperately Need Help

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by deadface, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadface

deadface New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey everyone, Im new here but I could really use some help.

My Galaxy S3 will not connect to any WiFi. It either tries, and tells me "network disabled because internet connection is slow", or it gets to "obtaining IP" and then just stops, or says "failed to obtain IP".

I have tried most solutions, including unchecking "Auto network switch" (which was already off because my phone does not have a SIM card), entering the hidden menu and unchecking the wifi power saver option, Ive restarted, taken out the battery and factory reset a number of times, but to no avail.

The only thing I havent tried is resetting the router because they are my neighbor's open networks.
    There are two different connections, and both work fine, and fast on my laptop.

My phone was rooted (at least partially, because the su binary was not installed for some reason, and because of that, busybox wouldnt install). Also, I dont know if they are connected, but I had installed luckypatcher, and applied patches to a couple apps for in-app purchases, that was the same day I started experiencing these issues.

So thats about all I can think of right now, I would really, really appreciate any help and suggestions you guys could give.

2. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Router problems are common with newer phones on older routers. The problem most often is related to older (outdated) protocols in the firmware of the router. As newer phones are manufactured, they are made to be more compliant to the protocol standards, and often times the older firmware on routers had a problem where it was not 100% compliant, so now you have a 100% compliant phone trying to connect to a protocol that doesn't follow the protocol rules 100%, and you have a disconnect. Your phone is constantly being updated or was updated several times since being manufactured, however routers don't self-update. You have to go onto the manufacturer's site and download the new firmware and flash it to the router to bring it into current compliance.

You'll likely have to tell your neighbor that the WIFI that you've been piggybacking on with his dollar is no longer giving you free WIFI and he will need to update his routers if he wants you to still have free internet access on his dime.

3. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +455
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Another option would be to offer to replace the router, if they know you're piggybacking.

Hate to ask, but have got verified you're running the latest firmware for your phone?

4. deadface

deadface New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The hostility really is unwarranted, although I do appreciate the advice. If I werent so poor, Id pay for my own wifi, but that isnt an option right now. Life is a bit more difficult for others. Anyway, Ive had this phone for a good while now, and the wifi from either connections never gave me a problem, so I cant imagine them both giving me problems at the same time. It has to be an issue with the phone itself.

My phone is 4.3 Jellybean, I believe. There has been an update available for a week or so, but I didnt want to be bothered, but it wouldnt even be an option now considering the phone cant get a connection.

5. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    No hostility. Some people are generous with their Wi-Fi but if he's not aware, it is technically misappropriation. If you go to a coffee shop that offers free Wi-Fi that's different. Still it's his responsibility to lock down his.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

6. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    If your neighbor is aware of you using their guest network just ask them to do a reboot of their router. A good neighbor might want to make sure their sharing is working as it should anyway and older routers it's not a bad idea to reboot about once a month anyway. Heck they might even be having the same frustration on their main network and you might be the one to offer the solution.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    If your phone connects to a public WIFI without issue, we can narrow it down to your neighbor's router.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. deadface

deadface New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I would have no problem doing so, but I live in an apartment building, so narrowing down the source would be pretty difficult. But there are two different connections that I use, meaning two different routers. Is it really possible for both to start having issues at the exact same time?

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    Not likely. It could be a hardware issue. Have you tried returning to stock?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. deadface

deadface New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Not yet, my next question was actually going to be if that would help the situation. I was trying to download the stock firmware, but the download failed, and the website (rapidgator) tells me that the captcha expired and that I had to wait over an hour before trying again. Would you happen to have a link where I could find the stock for my model?

11. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +455
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    What Jeffrey said.

I must have missed that you were using a custom ROM when I read your first post.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.