wifi issue

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mavcat17, Mar 4, 2010.

1. mavcat17

mavcat17 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Please forgive me if this is posted in another forum as i am fairly new but i wasnt able to find anything elsewhere so i posted here.

Recently i have rooted and started out with the wireless tethering and i was able to get that working with the new kernel and image. Now i am trying to get overclocking working and it appears that my wifi is disabled. i have tried the below to get it working:
    • Download the "tiwlan_drv.ko" from tasmanian_droid's original post on the overclock to 600mhz over on alldroid.org
      copy to Root of SD card
      open terminal emulator and run these commands;
    • su
    • mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    • cd /sdcard
    • busybox cp tiwlan_drv.ko /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko
      mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    • sync
    • reboot
    WIth no luck. However, when i do a " "flash_image boot /sdcard/boot_wifi.img" my wifi comes back but i can only overclock to 600 insted of the 1.1 i had before.

Can someone please enlighten me as to what im doing wrong?

2. mejdam

mejdam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What rom are you using? Also when using setcpu goto menu, device selection and choose autodetect so it can read your true speeds.

More thing, run the tiwlan_drv.ko steps you posted after flash_image boot /sdcard/boot_wifi.img. That is what i did way back when i did that method you're doing. Now i just use bugless beast rom from pete :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  3. cisco0910

cisco0910 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I have no answers but I would just like to add that reasons like yours is the reason I love the droidmod route is because it is so much easier and simpler. Everything works fine, can overclock, tether, live wallpapers, ect. I'm just sayin.. more of an fyi, I'm sure you knew all that already but just in case. You don't have to worry about typing in commands and stuff. Hope you get your situation resolved, good luck bud

4. mavcat17

mavcat17 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Currently i am not running any rom as i am fairly new, and in setcpu it is already autodetecting.

If i wanted to install a ROM so i can do all that, how should i go about it? Just de-install both products and start from relative scratch?

5. thatguychuck

thatguychuck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the boot image and kernels need to match for wifi to work, which is why they usually come in pairs. So if you change to a different cpu kernel, you need a matching boot image or wifi won't work.

6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To get just overclock and wifi tether, you need to install a kernel that does both (and the modules that match). I suspect that the 1.1Ghz kernel you're referring to is the 2.6.29 kernel made by adamz.

I recommend re-installing that kernel. Easiest way to do that is to grab the update.zip version of the kernel that Pete made. There's a list of these kernels here as part of the Bugless Beast ROM install:

[ROM 2.0.1] Bugless Beast V1.2 (3/1/10) STABLE

You want this one:

http://androidoverdrive.com/pete/Patchers/adamzkernel11update.zip

Drop it on your SD Card (in the root directory), boot into recovery, install update.zip. What this will do is flash the kernel image and install the necessary module (tiwlan_drv.ko). It won't make ANY other changes to your phone but the kernel.

Note:
    This requires that SPRecovery be installed (which I assume you installed before flashing kernel images unless you are trying to brick your droid)

Once you install that, give overclock and tethering a try, both should work. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  7. mavcat17

mavcat17 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that could be very possible. I'll have to try that tonight adn see how it goes. Thank you!