Wifi issue

Ridgefire

Reaction score
Hoping to maybe get some help with my wifi issue. The issue being I can no longer connect to the internet
using the wifi feature.
This is a suddened on set problem. I've been using my home secured network for months with zero problems. I come home
from work one day and no internet. Phone shows its connected to my network, ask the wife if she was having any problems
She says no, check the laptop no problems. I did a reboot on the phone, no luck. Did a phone and modem reboot no luck.
I disable and reenable wifi no luck.
Let's see if I have all the information needed

1. Its a droid 3
2. It only happens on my home secured network. (WPA /WPA 2 PSK) I know the pass code is correct
3. Internet works just fine on any open public wifi. IE McDonalds, Starbucks.....ect
4. Internet works just fine using the various secured networks at my employment.
5. My wife's phone non-droid phone connects and uses the internet just fine.
6. My son's phone also works just fine.
7. The laptop and other things run on my home wireless network just fine.

Kajun58

Reaction score
RIDGEFIRE, I am experiencing the same exact problems! :(

Hoping to maybe get some help with my wifi issue. The issue being I can no longer connect to the internet
using the wifi feature.
This is a suddened on set problem. I've been using my home secured network for months with zero problems. I come home
from work one day and no internet. Phone shows its connected to my network, ask the wife if she was having any problems
She says no, check the laptop no problems. I did a reboot on the phone, no luck. Did a phone and modem reboot no luck.
I disable and reenable wifi no luck.
Let's see if I have all the information needed

1. Its a droid 3
2. It only happens on my home secured network. (WPA /WPA 2 PSK) I know the pass code is correct
3. Internet works just fine on any open public wifi. IE McDonalds, Starbucks.....ect
4. Internet works just fine using the various secured networks at my employment.
5. My wife's phone non-droid phone connects and uses the internet just fine.
6. My son's phone also works just fine.
7. The laptop and other things run on my home wireless network just fine.

Khiraji

Reaction score
Weeeiiirrrd. Maybe try deleting and re-adding the network on the phone?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
As much as you may not believe this, most of these types of problems are due to the Wireless Router, NOT the phone. Just because the router works fine with other devices doesn't mean it's working perfectly, and often it simply needs to have the firmware updated. Go to the website for the Router manufacturer, check for the firmware version that is the most current, and then follow instructions to see if the firmware on your device is the same or an older version. If it's older, do the upgrade and you may find it works fine again.

Also, older routers may work fine for other devices, especially if they are older than this phone, but may have trouble making or maintaining a connection with these newest of devices. The problem again, isn't the phone, but the fact that the older router may not fully adhere to current WIFI standards. Older devices may be more forgiving of slight incompatibilities, but the newer devices, especially those from companies who are leaders in the world of communication may be more strict with protocols and so the older router may not "play nice" with the newer phones. Some have found that simply replacing the router solved the problem. This holds true even if the phone worked before but doesn't now.

Another issue is the number of devices on the WIFI. As we add more and more connected devices, the router may have trouble authenticating them. If someone added a device while you were at work, and now when you come home all the available IP addresses that it can handle are occupied, you may simply be refused communication. This can happen with as few as 5 devices. I used to have a router that would handle 4 with no problem, but the moment I added a 5th, there were IP conflicts. Newer routers are able to handle more concurrent connections so that problem is easily resolved. With the cost of these routers being so low now, even for an entry-level one that would more than handle what you might throw at it, there's no sense beating your head into the bricks to figure it out. Go buy a new router, plug it in and see if it works. If it does, you know the answer. If it doesn't work with your phone but will still work properly with all the other devices, then return it under the return policy and start some heavy troubleshooting, including a Factory Data Restore if that is your last resort.

Good luck!:biggrin:

osphoto

Reaction score
Having the same issue, but my Driod 3 shows connected including blue bars on the WiFi status, but apps and browser say no connection. Only one device connected to router. Any other ideas??