Wifi issue

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I'm having a connectivity issue with a very old (2004) linksys wireless b router that I use at my vacation home. From what I can gather the router is kicking all my devices off the network periodically. This is not a problem for the windows laptop but my Razr and Xoom don't automatically reconnect. This causes a substantial drain on the batteries of my Android devices. The cell service is weak and I use a network extender, I'm not sure if that is causing additional battery drain but it never did on my OG droid.

Should I just buy a new router or is there an app that will reconnect automatically? I searched the play store but the reviews were less than stellar.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It has been posted that older routers have been "fixed" by downloading and installing new updated firmware. Go to Linksys.com, punch in the model and version of your router, look for downloads and install the latest version of firmware.

If that doesn't fix it, then your best bet is simply to replace it. The thing is 9 years old and there is likely to have been numerous "bugs" which have bene uncovered which make that older router non-compliant with the protocol. As new equipment comes along that is less-forgiving of those bugs, you start to see the symptoms you're experiencing.

Good luck. ;)

SallyC

Reaction score
My bet is the router's gotta go. FoxKat's math might be a little off, but still - as far as technology goes - it's old.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
My bet is the router's gotta go. FoxKat's math might be a little off, but still - as far as technology goes - it's old.

That's what happens when you have a reaction to muscle relaxers like I am now. My head is loopy. I have the "eebee-jeebies" over my entire body. Damn, I won't take these again, I'll just deal with the pain.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's what happens when you have a reaction to muscle relaxers like I am now. My head is loopy. I have the "eebee-jeebies" over my entire body. Damn, I won't take these again, I'll just deal with the pain.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

Ha.. muscle relaxer for pain? I took a half of a pill 1 time from my mother in law, took in Dallas woke up in El Paso... to think she takes 2...

----posted maxx'ed out----

OP
brucin

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
It has been posted that older routers have been "fixed" by downloading and installing new updated firmware. Go to Linksys.com, punch in the model and version of your router, look for downloads and install the latest version of firmware.

If that doesn't fix it, then your best bet is simply to replace it. The thing is 9 years old and there is likely to have been numerous "bugs" which have bene uncovered which make that older router non-compliant with the protocol. As new equipment comes along that is less-forgiving of those bugs, you start to see the symptoms you're experiencing.

Good luck. ;)

I forgot to mention that I did upgrade to the latest firmware already dated 4/05.
I guess I will just replace it. I have a Linksys wrt54gl that works perfectly. It's only a G router but that's plenty fast for me and I know it works with my phone and tablet. Newegg has them for $50 with free shipping so it's not even that expensive.

Remember "better living through chemistry."

SallyC

Reaction score

Might sound funny coming from an RN with a long (father, uncle, grandfather) history of MDs, but if you're still struggling with this, I'd go see a doctor of Chiropractic or Osteopathic medicine.
I could elaborate but it would be pretty far OT.

SallyC

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I did upgrade to the latest firmware already dated 4/05.
I guess I will just replace it. I have a Linksys wrt54gl that works perfectly. It's only a G router but that's plenty fast for me and I know it works with my phone and tablet. Newegg has them for $50 with free shipping so it's not even that expensive.

Sounds like a good plan. My router was pretty cheap too and actually works much smoother even with devices that connected with the old one.

Remember "better living through chemistry."

I'm pretty sure being unable to do basic math isn't "better living." Unless you work for the Federal Reserve. :D