Wifi issue - can someone check please?

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I noticed when I'm in settings and check mark wifi, it doesn't actually start up my wifi. I have go and click on "Wi-Fi settings" only then will it connect. This makes the Wifi widgets worthless for connecting to Wifi, since it won't scan for networks until I go to settings and click on "Wi-Fi settings.

Can someone please check and confirm its a actual glitch or it is just a issue with mine?

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
HolyGrail

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
my wifi widgets work fine

I see. Thanks for checking, found a few more threads at allforums that had this same issue.

Update: Did a factory reset and now it works. I had this issue since day one out of the box but didn't pay close attention until today. Makes me wonder what other issues I may have had and didn't even know.

Note to self: Always factory reset new device.

Last edited:

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
yep, i noticed this yesterday.. i clicked on the wifi icon on my widget and nothing.. finally.. i clicked it and let it sit for bit and eventually it obtained an ip.. i really dont wanna do a factory reset..

the times it didnt work, id go into settings and wireless and enable it there.. wierd.

Last edited:

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
i did a factory reset, issue remains the same.. its flakey, works sometimes other times it does not work... have to go into settings/wireless to login to my wireless network usually

Last edited:

robwilson

Reaction score
i did a factory reset, issue remains the same.. its flakey, works sometimes other times it does not work... have to go into settings/wireless to login to my wireless network usually
I was having problems as well will Wifi not connecting to my network. I was also have issues with landscape. Did a factory reset and everything is working now.

windstrings

Reaction score
Rather than a factory reset.. first go and tell your phone to "forget" your wifi connection thats giving you problems so that its completely gone.
Reboot "may not be necessary" and then go back in and find and set up the connection again.

Sometimes updates tweak settings just enough that they no longer negotiate well with your settings on your routers or access points.. especially if they are complicated and use encryption.

I've seem this work several times after updates....
Worth a shot to keep from resetting the whole phone.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
Rather than a factory reset.. first go and tell your phone to "forget" your wifi connection thats giving you problems so that its completely gone.
Reboot "may not be necessary" and then go back in and find and set up the connection again.

Sometimes updates tweak settings just enough that they no longer negotiate well with your settings on your routers or access points.. especially if they are complicated and use encryption.

I've seem this work several times after updates....
Worth a shot to keep from resetting the whole phone.

thats a great idea.. why didnt i think of that ;)

i tried this and it worked.... but we will see what happens next time i try it.

thanks

windstrings

Reaction score
Did you have any of the inconsistencies "before" the update?

Just trying to rule out if its not settings on your router.

My access point has settings that ask me when to drop the signal verses continue to hold onto it.

Go into your software and make sure you have everything set so it keeps sending "CTS" ratio is set as low as possible.

I personally don't like encryption as it kills distance... I prefer MAC address filtering... but thats just me.

Your phone gives you its mac address if you want to try that btw and so turn off encryption.

Encryption really complicates what happens in the handshake and two way exchange of information.

Could be your router or accesspoint isn't friendly to the new settings.

I'm not even sure for a fact that any settings were changed "in the phone" pertaining to networking etc.... it appears this was merely a software update verses a firmware update.

My first hunch is to check your settings in your router...
All else fails, try another router.
Lastly, there is a small chance its your phone.. but I doubt it.

INTREPID-NY

Reaction score
Just a word of caution. MAC address filtering is easly cracked without encryption. The best currently available encryption for the general public is WPA2 (AES). Anyway, if you decide not to use encryption on your WiFi router, at least make sure you have a password set on ALL your user accounts in Windows, including the Administrator Account (if XP).

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
my wifi widgets work fine

I see. Thanks for checking, found a few more threads at allforums that had this same issue.

Update: Did a factory reset and now it works. I had this issue since day one out of the box but didn't pay close attention until today. Makes me wonder what other issues I may have had and didn't even know.

Note to self: Always factory reset new device.

Kind of reminds me of the old thing about if a tree falls in the middle of the forest and nobody hears it, does it make any noise?

If you don't notice it, how can it be an issue?

vinnyjames

Reaction score
please check the wi-fi connection

getting the same thing on my new droid X. been using a multitude of phones and friends phones and co-workers phones etc etc on the same routers (one at work and one at home) for years and years without any issues but my shiny new droid x complains all the time to check the wifi. then the data connection dies completely so I turn off wifi for a bit and crawl around at 3g speeds and later i turn it back on and everything works fine. total pain to switch between 3g and wifi throughout the day.

:cus: :icon_cussing: :cus: :icon_cussing: :cus: :icon_cussing: :cus: :icon_cussing: :cus: :icon_cussing: