WiFi-ing at home

cutiedroid

Reaction score
I have a Modem/router at home and I should be able to WiFi from it with my Moto D2G. I want to do this because my 3G signal is usable but sometime weak. When I click Wifi on the phone the laptop entry will say "remembered" and "secured with WEP", but then it's starts cycling through "obtaining IP address from (my laptop)" on the "Wi-Fi settings" portion of the screen. On the "Wi-Fi networks" part of the screen for this laptop it also says "obtaining IP address..." <-just like this. I thought maybe I could manually enter the IP address but I'm not sure where to get this information. I've done the "ipconfig /all" from the cmd prompt box, but it just says what's available with "ipconfig", or I don't know which ipconfig extra, like "ipconfig / release", I'm supposed to use. I'd appreciate any help or advice. Thanks.

czervick212

Reaction score
Whenever I've had that problem it was just because I typed my password in wrong. I would usually just turn wifi off and back on, tell the wifi settings to forget that network, then retype in the password. Sorry if that's a total scrub answer but it works for me...

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

jcl197

Reaction score
I have a Modem/router at home and I should be able to WiFi from it with my Moto D2G. I want to do this because my 3G signal is usable but sometime weak. When I click Wifi on the phone the laptop entry will say "remembered" and "secured with WEP", but then it's starts cycling through "obtaining IP address from (my laptop)" on the "Wi-Fi settings" portion of the screen. On the "Wi-Fi networks" part of the screen for this laptop it also says "obtaining IP address..." <-just like this. I thought maybe I could manually enter the IP address but I'm not sure where to get this information. I've done the "ipconfig /all" from the cmd prompt box, but it just says what's available with "ipconfig", or I don't know which ipconfig extra, like "ipconfig / release", I'm supposed to use. I'd appreciate any help or advice. Thanks.

I always had this problem with my D2G, i think its just bad software and we came blame motorola for that. Anyway, I found that turning on airplane mode and then turning it off would stop the obtaining IP address cycle and the wifi would work again, but the problem will eventually happen again.

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score
Whenever I've had that problem it was just because I typed my password in wrong. I would usually just turn wifi off and back on, tell the wifi settings to forget that network, then retype in the password. Sorry if that's a total scrub answer but it works for me...

I have done this before. If the password isn't correct won't it say so? I'll try it again tho.

mdd_fl

Reaction score
My D2G was trying to obtain the IP address from my wireless router. I power cycled the router. While it was down the D2G said "disconnected" from the network. As soon as the router came back online it immediately joined. But the frustrating thing is neither the wired desktop machine nor wireless laptop were experiencing any connection difficulties. Maybe it's the router as XBOX Live regularly cannot connect and power cycling the router will fix it. But the D2G never seems to be able to connect consecutive times...

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
D2G has some huge issues with at least D-Link routers. That's for sure. I have a D-Link DIR-655 and wifi is extremely moody both with stock and with CM7.

urbz

Reaction score
I've also got a dir-655 and my connection to the netwok is shady as hell. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue.

Sent from my Hexen DROID2 GLOBAL

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw reports about these issues with 655 on some other forums as well. The connection just either hangs until you restart wifi, or disappears (switches to mobile data) until, again, you restart it.

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score
My D2G was trying to obtain the IP address from my wireless router. I power cycled the router. While it was down the D2G said "disconnected" from the network. As soon as the router came back online it immediately joined. But the frustrating thing is neither the wired desktop machine nor wireless laptop were experiencing any connection difficulties. Maybe it's the router as XBOX Live regularly cannot connect and power cycling the router will fix it. But the D2G never seems to be able to connect consecutive times...

I'll have to try this. And my modem/router is a Verizon-provided model altho I also have a linksys m-r and it would probably do the same thing.

jfeldredge

Reaction score
I had this problem as well, with a Motorola WR850G router, until I upgraded the router's firmware to use DD-WRT instead of Motorola firmware. My non-Motorola laptop could connect using the Motorola firmware, but my Motorola phone couldn't. At a guess, the Motorola programmers had probably used an older form of the DHCP protocol in the router than in the phone.

tgambitg

Reaction score

Please, please, PLEASE..... change your security settings from WEP to WPA2-AES as soon as you can... WEP is crazy easy to break, and you don't want people messing around on your network and you getting in trouble for it!