wifi hotspot questions

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by ammauric, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ammauric

ammauric New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be getting my first smartphone next month, so I'm not completely familiar with the workings yet, but right now, I have a few questions for anyone who's played with the wifi features of their Droid.

I'm considering setting up a home wireless network for my parents, and while they have no source of internet other than satellite. They're interested in using a wifi hotspot, especially with 4G on the horizon.

Would the phone act as a router when devices are connected to it (e.g. if I connect a laptop and printer to the wifi hotspot, will I be able to print from the laptop)?

In order to leave the network intact when the phone is unavailable, can the phone be connected to a wireless router as the source of the internet connection in some way?

Can a wireless repeater be set up for use with the phone?

(I'm a little unfamiliar with repeaters, it's something I'm considering for my parents - if a repeater were set up and the phone were taken out of range of it, would all devices disconnect? I'd imagine yes, since a router would no longer be present.)

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Search tags for this page

android wifi repeater app

connecting another phone to my milestone x2 hotspot

hot spot out of range

motorola milestone hotspot setup

setting up wireless printer on droid razr hotspot

wifi hotspot android range