wifi hot spot and new data plans

xtor

Reaction score
So if and when i have to leave my unlimited plan, how will hot spot on my razr work?, will it still be unlimited or per gig, or part of my phone gigs?

sent from droid REPLICATOR

sjason73

Reaction score
I have the HotSpot and it runs separately than my phone. Or I can wifi my phone through my HotSpot to equal my usage. However the option to have them separate will be running out soon. The Verizon rep told me that they are gopri ing to a new billing plan that is every priced per every 2 gig that is more expensive actually. I am not sure of the transition date but I believe it is coming up shortly. My current plan of having hot spot separate from phone would be quite a bit more expensive. Like 1 1/2 times more expensive. Verizon is trying to
group all devices into one general data plan.

OP
xtor

xtor

Reaction score
I'm using mobile hotspot on my razr and paying an extra 30- for it, I'm wondering how this feature works out on the new data plans on the 28th, and if on new data plan is the hotspot unlimited and/ or part of the phone data, it is a separate service

GSdub510

Reaction score
xtor said:
I'm using mobile hotspot on my razr and paying an extra 30- for it, I'm wondering how this feature works out on the new data plans on the 28th, and if on new data plan is the hotspot unlimited and/ or part of the phone data, it is a separate service

Use FoxFi you don't pay anything. VZW is screwing everyone over so do the same

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

sjason73

Reaction score
I was told that with the new plan using your phone as a HotSpot will be included in your plan. Not extra. However you will have to be signed up on the new plan to take advantage of that option. This was per Verizon salesperson. The HotSpot will be included in your phone plan. They are driving toward the bundle program. No matter what method you access data...it will all be umbrella under one data usage plan.

Last edited:

sjason73

Reaction score
Using your phone as a HotSpot will not cost extra. And the data will all fall under one data usage plan no matter what method you are using data usage. However these new changes are under the new "System" so you will have to sign up under the new plan for these changes to take effect. All plans prior to this will remain the same with what terms you signed up with. This is how the Verizon rep explained it to me. The prices for data plans have drastically changed under the new plan. She told me that the whole new pricing plan was on their website. I was wondering if they will allow me to continue my original plan when the contract is up....can I renew it?

Last edited:

BillTheCat

Reaction score
The new pricing plan info is out there in a thousand places. But here's a Reader's Digest version...

First, the new plans are not automatically applied, and you can keep your unlimited data plan (or any other plan you are on) as long as you don't buy a new phone from VZ at the subsidized/contract price. If you buy a contract phone after the 28th, you will be moved to a "Share Everything" plan.

"Share Everything" consists of 2 different things you pay for.

First, you pay a monthly fee for each device on your account. Each smartphone is $40, dumb phones are $30, and I believe tablets & air cards are $10. This monthly fee gets your device connected & for phones, includes unlimited minutes, text messaging, and WiFi Hot Spot usage.

Next, you have to choose how much data you want to share among your devices. Notice the prices of the data. This is what kills me:

1GB= $50
2GB= $60
4GB= $70
6GB= $80
8GB= $90
10GB= $100

The pool of data you buy is accessed by all of your devices. VZ will send you a notice when you are nearing your data limit in any given month, and offer to sell you 2GB more for $10 if you pre-purchase. Other wise, each 1GB will cost $15 if you go over. (Equivalent of $30 per 2GB, so you are MUCH better off pre-purchasing if you're going to go over)

On these new plans, the WiFi Hot Spot feature no longer incurs a monthly fee of its own. It is free & unlimited. However, all of the data you use with the feature counts towards your monthly allotment.

So if you have a smartphone & a tablet and you figure you need 6GB of data per month, your basic charges would look like this:

Smartphone: $40
Tablet: $10
Data (6GB): $80
WiFi Hot Spot: Free
Total: $130, plus taxes & fees

Be sure to do the math for your personal situation. Don't look at your monthly bottom line- look at the charges BEFORE taxes & fees to compare to the new plans. The taxes & fees won't be changing much, if at all, so they don't need to be compared.

For me, it's not worth switching to Share Everything. I have been averaging 4-6GB of data per month, and have just one smartphone. My total bill (including taxes & fees) with unlimited data is about $80. If I switched, I'd pay $40 for my phone and $80 for 6GB of data. That's $120 before I even get to taxes & fees.

As a VZ employee, I figure I am required to say "Hey, don't root your Droid to get free WiFi tethering. It voids your warranty, attracts bees, and makes your genitals atrophy."

joshxdroid

Reaction score
One thing that drives me crazy (other than the data being way over priced) is. why a dumb phone in $30 and s smartphone is $40. But you have to buy data separately, so what am I getting for that extra $10? or in my case (3 phones) $30. If that was changed then I would maybe consider the new plans because I'd have that extra to put toward data.

vudumonkey25

Reaction score
One thing that drives me crazy (other than the data being way over priced) is. why a dumb phone in $30 and s smartphone is $40. But you have to buy data separately, so what am I getting for that extra $10? or in my case (3 phones) $30. If that was changed then I would maybe consider the new plans because I'd have that extra to put toward data.

This is the way I see it (not that I agree with it).... The difference in price between a dumb phone and the smart phone is the $10 "access fee" to be able to use the share-able data. A tablet cost $10 to "buy in" to your monthly data and the price difference is most likely the reason. Although I don't think verizon came out and said that.

I'm perfectly happy with my old plan and unlimited data. So hopefully I don't have to worry about the new plans for a little while =]

OP
xtor

xtor

Reaction score
Well i think I'll keep my family plan with unlimited data, i added a 4th line to get my wife a maxx last week, told her she won't be getting a new phone in the future unless we pay full pop for it, that's the only way we can stay on our current plan, 1400 shared min, unlimited data.so we have a razr, razr maxx, a old audiovox dumb phone, and a 4th line not connected to anything, yet, and we have our old droid x's that we use on wifi and for back up phones

joshxdroid

Reaction score
I have a few months until my lines are ready for upgrade and I'll weigh the pluses and minuses at the time. But I will likely buy 6 month old phones in Ebay for $250 instead of getting the latest/greatest for $300 with a contract. I an live with being 6 months to a year behind the current technology.

BillTheCat

Reaction score
I have a few months until my lines are ready for upgrade and I'll weigh the pluses and minuses at the time. But I will likely buy 6 month old phones in Ebay for $250 instead of getting the latest/greatest for $300 with a contract. I an live with being 6 months to a year behind the current technology.

That's my plan. My current RAZR was a hand-me-down from a friend last November. He had just bought it & then decided he had to have the Nexus S, so he sold it to me for $150. Sadly for him, he said the Nexus S was a POS (although he loved ICS), and went & bought another RAZR 2 weeks later. From here on out, "pre-loved" phones for me!