Wifi for skype?

C

chun02160

Hello,

I am currently using Motorola Droid running by Verizon Wireless.
My question is that I am going Europe soon and I am wondering if I can you skype through wifi access?
Also, is it possible to check email and also run some apps through Wifi access as well? In this case, do I have to pay roaming or would it be fine?
I am just not to sure everything about using this phone in foreign country :(
Could someone help me on this?
Thank you so much,

Sincerely,

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
i recommend the second you get on the plane to go to europe you put it on airplane mode and do not take it out of airplane mode. A nice thing about the droid is the ability to have airplane mode on but have wifi on. And the VZW skype will NOT work over wifi ever. Just download fring its a free app that can use skype over wifi

ITguy11

Reaction score
Ditto - You have to install Fring to get skype to work over wifi. However there is a slight lag/delay in the audio when doing so.

Beanfire

Reaction score
Ok,

So I have a couple of questions. How do I make sure its in airplane mode so I don't incur any roaming charges?

Also say I turn the phone on in Europe but want to go into airplane mode straight away, any way of doing this?

And in airplane mode I wont receive any roaming charges correct?

Thanks

Merritt

Reaction score
Just long press the lock button and a screen will pop up with some options, then select airplane mode and it should stay there until you take it out of airplane mode.

iDroid

Reaction score
i recommend the second you get on the plane to go to europe you put it on airplane mode and do not take it out of airplane mode. A nice thing about the droid is the ability to have airplane mode on but have wifi on. And the VZW skype will NOT work over wifi ever. Just download fring its a free app that can use skype over wifi

Does the Verizon Skype ap need to be installed along with Fring? Or does Fring work entirely on its own? Thanks!

Newps

Reaction score
Install Fring. Open the program and choose Skype to input your username and password for Skype. Make a test call to make sure it works.