Wifi Direct

Capone76

Reaction score
Not sure what this setting is for if anyone can help. Also I have 2× battery and it keeps asking me to turn off the wifi scan. I unchecked the scan for wifi so not sure what its talking about. Annoying though . Maybe not compatible with ics.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

prowler85

Reaction score
Wifi Direct is a new wifi protocol. It works kind of like bluetooth (and may eventually eliminate the need for BT). Don't know if it will work yet though as it needs two compatible devices with wifi direct. Basically, it eliminates the need for a router. The two devices can directly connect together without having to both connect to the same router. It's basically BT with longer range (and probably uses way more power). Not sure how to connect it yet as I've never done it, but it's going to be "the thing" pretty quickly as more devices come out with it.

Khallos

Reaction score
Wifi Direct is a new wifi protocol. It works kind of like bluetooth (and may eventually eliminate the need for BT). Don't know if it will work yet though as it needs two compatible devices with wifi direct. Basically, it eliminates the need for a router. The two devices can directly connect together without having to both connect to the same router. It's basically BT with longer range (and probably uses way more power). Not sure how to connect it yet as I've never done it, but it's going to be "the thing" pretty quickly as more devices come out with it.

I've researched WiFi Direct before, but I can't understand how it is any different from the traditional "ad-hoc" wireless networks that have been available in computers (not smart phones) for 10 years or more...

Is this just another name for the same thing? Or is the name for the ad-hoc networks in smartphones just branded as "WiFi Direct"?

prowler85

Reaction score
It's very similar to an ad-hoc network, but standardizes the connection between devices more efficiently. And it's more secure than an ad-hoc network.

OP
C

Capone76

Reaction score
Thanks for the information.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So do we get charged for using this type of connection? (Sorry for old thread bump, just saw it on my settings:D)