wifi connectivity unreliable with AES (DLink DIR-655)

Johnw

Reaction score
I have a DLink DIR-655 which was previously configured with WPA2 and AES under 802.11n. Unfortunately, the Droid X would lose connectivity after brief usage and wouldn't reconnect unless I stopped WIFI and reconnected. Other computers and laptops on the network continued to work so the problem is isolated to the Droid X.

I was able to resolve the problem by reconfiguring the DIR-655 with TKIP instead of AES. I thought I would post this in case anyone else ran into this problem. Hopefully Motorola/Verizon will fix this in the next firmware release.

Interpol

Reaction score
I have a DLink DIR-655 which was previously configured with WPA2 and AES under 802.11n. Unfortunately, the Droid X would lose connectivity after brief usage and wouldn't reconnect unless I stopped WIFI and reconnected. Other computers and laptops on the network continued to work so the problem is isolated to the Droid X.

I was able to resolve the problem by reconfiguring the DIR-655 with TKIP instead of AES. I thought I would post this in case anyone else ran into this problem. Hopefully Motorola/Verizon will fix this in the next firmware release.
Thanks for the tip. Been having the same issues with my D-Link DIR-825 and DIR-655. Just switched my 2.4GHz 802.11n encryption to WPA2/TKIP and will see if this fixes my WiFi connectivity problems.

EDIT: OK, been up and running with TKIP and so far no data freezes/lockups. Also I emailed a friend of mine who has a Droid X without any WiFi problems and verified that his router was running WPA2/TKIP.

Last edited:

Interpol

Reaction score
Looks like the new .604 OTA update fixed the issue. My router's back to WPA2/AES and no connectivity issues.

07aspenx

Reaction score
Looks like the new .604 OTA update fixed the issue. My router's back to WPA2/AES and no connectivity issues.

I am also using the same dir 655 router with the same issue as you. Just updated and it looks like it fixed the issue.

OP
J

Johnw

Reaction score
I think I'm still experiencing problem with the new firmware though less frequently. Anyone else?

JFDroid

Reaction score
Edit: I'm dumb. Really dumb. Forgot that WPA-PSK is TKIP and WPA2-PSK is AES. Excuse my idiocy =P

I'm having issues using WPA2 + PSK (AES). I didn't try TKIP yet, or WEP, but I have *zero* issues with an open network. Can't I just set it to an open network and then set MAC address filtering to on, that way only devices whose MAC addresses have been entered can get onto my network?

Last edited:

Interpol

Reaction score
I think I'm still experiencing problem with the new firmware though less frequently. Anyone else?

I'm afraid I may have spoken too soon. Had no problems last night after the update, but I had the same data freeze issues this morning. Switching back to WPA2 + TKIP fixed it. Maybe there'll be a fix in 2.2.

Interpol

Reaction score
Edit: I'm dumb. Really dumb. Forgot that WPA-PSK is TKIP and WPA2-PSK is AES. Excuse my idiocy =P

I'm having issues using WPA2 + PSK (AES). I didn't try TKIP yet, or WEP, but I have *zero* issues with an open network. Can't I just set it to an open network and then set MAC address filtering to on, that way only devices whose MAC addresses have been entered can get onto my network?
Doing that will certainly prevent most people from piggybacking on your network, but I say "most" because it's not difficult to spoof a MAC address. Also it does nothing for point-to-point data security between your computers/devices and the access point.

vadgito

Reaction score
im using two routers in my house, a dir-655 and an airport express n, ironically it is the airport express that is giving me issues not the dir-655. Like the OP im using wpa/wpa2 with aes on the 655 and havent had any issues. On the airport, it is set to N only wpa/wpa2 and i have frequent disconnects, slow speeds, android telling me my router is out of range, all while being 3 feet away.

wifiwiz

Reaction score
@vadgito
it is somewhat interesting that some are reporting problems with the Airport router and for others it is working without a problem. I don't think anyone in the different forums was able to figure out what exactly is the difference between these 2 cases.
Really, the only thing that comes to mind is to make sure your Airport router firmware is up-to-date and that the router is not in a bad state (after you rebooted it). Maybe you can disconnect all the other devices connected to it and try once again with different security settings. Just a thought...

wmcushing

Reaction score

Just switched to TKIP and it seem to have fixed it (too soon to be sure). I previously was on WEP and was experiencing the problem as well as a unsecured network. @motorola and/or @verizon still need to address the issue, this isn't going to help me when I'm at my local coffee shop or airport.

zoulkyud

Reaction score
I am seeing that this issues occurs on my end when the key is set to auto. When you enter your password for wifi is it set for auto or WPA/WPA2? I think it may just be that the auto feature for the key isn't very good at entering the correct type of key or info.

CarsMatic

Reaction score
I'm also having connectivity issues with my Airport Extreme. It will connect but then drop a few minutes later and then a few seconds reconnect again. Subscribed to this post to see if there are any fixes.

-MikeR-

Reaction score
I have this DLink router and i am having the same problem, even with the new update. I think ill stick with 3G at home until they get this fixed.