WIFI Connectivity - CISCO Linksys N-band

billgoco

Reaction score
I've been trying to get connected to my home network and the phone acts as though it can't connect to N-band.....

Anyone have any ideas?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to get connected to my home network and the phone acts as though it can't connect to N-band.....

Anyone have any ideas?

It cant connect to the N-Band, the WiFi hardware is B/G only (presumably for power consumption reasons).

You have to change your home network settings to be B/G/N Mixed.

OP
B

billgoco

Reaction score
That Explains it.....

My CISCO router is N band only...... Oh well, life in the "fast" lane.

Thanks for the quick response. :yr1:

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
My CISCO router is N band only...... Oh well, life in the "fast" lane.

Really? That's weird -- is it brand new? N Band only became a standard a few months ago....

What model is it?

jasonb

Reaction score
are you 100% sure you cant do a mixed mode, or default it back to G?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I have a relatively new CISCO N-band running WPA-2 security and connect with no issues

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a relatively new CISCO N-band running WPA-2 security and connect with no issues

You must be running Mixed mode, because it's impossible for the Droid to support 802.11N

FunN4Lo

Reaction score

You must be running Mixed mode, because it's impossible for the Droid to support 802.11N

You are correct sir, one of my son's Wii is b/g also... just letting the OP know that CISCO-N and Droid work in some situations (mine) so with further investigation he may get his to work.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

You are correct sir, one of my son's Wii is b/g also... just letting the OP know that CISCO-N and Droid work in some situations (mine) so with further investigation he may get his to work.

I didnt mean to come off as accusing, just trying to reinforce my own position on mixed mode-ness. We'll get this worked out for the OP.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When i had my d-link in N-Mode only, i could still get my droid to connect to it. Take it for what it's worth, i work on routers all the time, so i know it wasn't in mixed mode for those who want to somehow debunk it.

OP
B

billgoco

Reaction score
My Router

it's a model # WRT610N

I checked the options and it's a single N band only.

OP
B

billgoco

Reaction score
It's a WRT610N model. And I've looked for other Band settings... nada.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
it's a model # WRT610N

I checked the options and it's a single N band only.

I have that same Linksys router running B/G Mixed. I dont think it can do N/G mixed, so you're going to have to make a choice.

Since you're running single band anyway, you're not really getting the performance increase in N, so if I were you, I'd just drop it back to B/G Mixed.

pudah

Reaction score

I have a WRT160N. I set it to N band only. 40mhz low or high, channel 9. I specifically make sure mixed mode is off for speed reasons. I purchased a b/g access point to add for the sole purpose of being able to connect my Droid to my home wi-fi. The droid connects to the router in N mode. It is NOT in mixed mode. I have a laptop, PS3 and other devices that also do not have 802.11n capabilities, and they can NOT connect to the N router, but the Droid can. In fact, I started a thread about it here. Nobody can figure it out except to say it must be connecting in mixed mode, but it isn't.

That said, back to the original topic. OP - you need to change your settings on the router. I haven't ever seen a router that will only do N. You can set it to be "N only" meaning it will only work with N devices, but you can change it to mixed mode. The Linksys page for this router states that it will work: LinksysbyCisco Simultaneous Dual-N Band Wireless Router WRT610N.

Tech Specs

• Model: WRT610N
  • Standards: Draft 802.11n, 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11b, 802.3, 802.3u, 802.3ab
  • Ports: Power, Ethernet, Internet, USB
  • Buttons: Reset, Wi-Fi Protected Setup
  • LEDs: Power, USB, Internet, Wireless, Wi-Fi Protected Setup, Ethernet (1-4)
  • Number of Antennas: 3 internal antennas per each 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz radio band
  • Detachable (y/n): No
  • Modulations: 802.11b: CCK, QPSK, BPSK; 802.11g: OFDM; 802.11a: OFDM; Wireless-N: BPSK, QPSK, 16-QAM, 64-QAM
  • RF Power (EIRP) in dBm:
    2,4 GHz:
    802.11b: 16 ± 1,5 dBm Typical @ Normal Temp Range
    802.11g: 13,5 ± 1,5 dBm Typical @ Normal Temp Range
    Wireless-N 20 MHz: 13 ± 1,5 dBm Typical @ Normal Temp Range
    Wireless-N 40 MHz: 13 ± 1,5 dBm Typical @ Normal Temp Range

5 GHz:
    802.11a: 12,5 ± 1,5dBm Typical @ Normal Temp Range
    Wireless-N 20 MHz: 8,5 ± 1,5 dBm Typical @ Normal Temp Range
    Wireless-N 40 MHz: 11 ± 1,5 dBm Typical @ Normal Temp Range

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't want to tell anyone who has a Droid successfully connected to an N device that their liars, but there really seems to be no good explanation as to why some people can get this to work.

As far as the OP is concerned, switch to mixed mode and you'll be just fine.

For you guys who have Droid+N working, that's awesome. There must be some backwards compatible something in the N spec that lets this happen, because the Droid hardware does not support N. If you ever figure it out, let us know.