Wifi charging feature?

Husky McDump

Reaction score
I heard through word of mouth that blackberry is coming out with a battery that will charge whenever it is within range of a wifi connection. Anyone know how if this is actually in the works? And if so, someone should explain that technology works because that is completely beyond me to think that we wouldn't need to charge our batteries anymore via outlet/usb

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
Husky McDump

Husky McDump

Reaction score
Here are a few quotes from the article that were kind of disappointing:

"The pocket-sized gizmo, which resembles a 3G dongle, carries a complex series of circuits that converts a Wi-Fi signal into energy and stores it in its own battery. It can then be plugged into any mini-USB connector to provide a secondary power source."

*So this feature would not be integrated into a device*

"The laws of physics dictate that the device cannot be enormously powerful, and the speed at which it recharges will depend heavily on the strength of nearby Wi-Fi signals. But since wireless internet – which operates on the same frequency used by cordless telephones and microwaves ovens – is so prevalent, its makers suggest that it could effectively provide "free energy" by simply working off ambient electromagnetic noise while users go about their daily business. "

So idk, it may prove to be be very useful and efficient. Although it sounds this technology is far from being a feature in every handset device (including mp3 players). Not sure where I got the idea that BlackBerry was the brains behind the technology.

Well here's to hoping that it comes soon!

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I believe Tesla would be the brains behind this technology. Not a new idea either

Ah nuts beat me again! He almost got it off the ground. What a freaking genius, Mr. Tesla.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk