WiFi broken for apps only?

akleopard

Reaction score
I use 4G throughout the day while I'm at work, and I connect to my home WiFi in the evenings when I am home. For almost a year, I've had no problems. Starting last week, whenever I open up any apps that require any sort of loading while I'm on WiFi, it takes FOREVER to load, sometimes even failing to do so entirely. Examples:

- Facebook just shows the loading circle for well over a minute, either eventually loading or failing to load altogether. If it loads, pictures usually don't load
- Google Now cards take forever to show up; also shows the loading circle for a long time
- Google Now search takes 1+ minutes even for simple 1 word searches
- Google Play store loads, but the icons/graphics take forever to show up
- Google Translate won't even translate a single word - it just shows the loading circle
- YouTube takes forever to load; when I search for a video, the query takes forever. When I click a video, it takes a long time to start BUT when it starts, it is fine

The weird thing is that I experience none of the aforementioned problems on 4G. Furthermore, if I try to access any of these features on my browser, I encounter absolutely no problems. Facebook on the browser is quick to load, YouTube videos over browsers start playing quickly, etc.

I am certain there is nothing wrong with my home WiFi. I already did a full power reset on my WiFi setup. It works perfectly on all my other electronic devices. I even downloaded the Speed Test app on my S3 and ran a few tests. The results are off the charts: ~22Mbps D/L and ~8Mbps U/L.

I might note that I have not yet downloaded the Verizon software update, and after reading some of the comments about the bugs and problems, I'm not certain I want to. My next step is to perform a factory reset, which I will do tonight. I wanted to see if anyone here had any advice before I do so.

Thanks in advance for your help!

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's pretty strange. Much of the problem, with 2 exceptions you listed, are Google services. You may want to start with a restart of your S3 and if that doesn't help start dumping cache, beginning with the Google app id settings - apps - all. If that helps do it for FB and YT. Restart between cache cleaning. If you go to the Google Store using your PC will it allow you to install an app from there? Of you can, install Clean Master and use it on your S3.

lakmobes

Reaction score
same issue

Hi. I am having the same issue. It seems to effect Facebook Instagram, Google play, plus, now, and voice search.

I was wondering if you found any solutions. It is also affecting my wife's phone.
I've reset the router, phones. Using chrome I can get on Facebook and Google plus and they work fine.
Would love to know if you found a solution.