wifi anywhere for free (well almost)!

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by Doggers, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Doggers

Doggers New Member

hey guys, wanted to share it with you about an app called pdanet, it allows you to use your phones internet signal on your laptop desktop...

Installation process is really easy, and it allows you to connect your phone either through usb or wifi and run it...on top of it all you can still text while using it...

THE APP is not free...right now its on sale for 15 dollars, ....unlike usual 30.

I love it so far....
    comments?
  2. Tarster

Tarster New Member

Been using this app for quite some time and love it. Have a few bb friends that use it to. I would recommend it to anyone. I could even play battlefield 2 bad company 2 with a 150ms ping to a local server using pdanet
  3. Doggers

Doggers New Member

oh wow...have you tried its competition at all...i am just wondering how that compares to it...and is it as easy to set up and such?...open :)
  4. Tarster

Tarster New Member

I have tried a few others including the wifi tether to a wireless desktop, pdanet is by and far the best, I have it installed on my desktop, laptop and girlfriends laptop. Pdanet is one of the only programs to my knowlege that somehome incoperated sms messaging with the data connection, most tethering programs have a problem when a text message is received because, when you are running 3g and get a text it momentarily pauses the 3g recieves the message and reconnects 3g... not so with pdanet, it will just pop up on your desktop and allow you to send a message back right though their own chat program.
  5. Doggers

Doggers New Member

i see...i am just wondering have you tried (or anybody in general) the "easytether" app?...it seems to "trash talk" on pdanet, saying its cheaper?....
    the thing is that they both have a little less under 250k downloads...
    and easytether says it can used for ps3 360, etc?....

but the thing I liked about pdanet, it's that it was really easy to set up...with good instructions, unlike some other apps overall on the market, which complicate things...

...how is installation process with easytether?....

btw do i need to run debugging mode every time i wanna run pdanet or was that only during installation process required?
    thanks.
  6. Doggers

Doggers New Member

P.S:...either way i feel that both can be a great buy, because the 3g cost fee is 20 dollars a month + additional gig of data you might use....is another 20...
    which kinda is self explanatory?
  7. evltwn72

evltwn72 New Member

I use pdanet and haven't had any issues with it. Easy tether, I couldn't get to work on my laptop. A onetime charge of 20 bucks so I could access secure websites was not a big deal. Better than paying an extra 20 bucks every month on a capped data plan.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  8. Doggers

Doggers New Member

thanks for the post...and yeah i agree...
    i posted also on adroidforums and a kid there was like "whats the point of paying for it while there are wifi hotspots"...I found that post kinda funny and made it clear that he didnt know what he was talking about....trying using a hotspot while on a train (unless train has build in wifi, if which is the case, its going to have a fee itself)....or on a road, etc....

also, its on sale right now for even less then 20....15.99 i believe.
    any other comments :p?
  9. evltwn72

evltwn72 New Member

Well u could root your phone and use the wireless tether app found in the market.

10. Palazuelosva

Palazuelosva New Member

I have been running easytetherpro for about 6 months now, previously I was running pdanet for about 4 months n I do find easytether more suitable for ME. Pdanet crashes too much I tried it on different PCs with different phones, after a few hours or minutes the app restarts it self, unlike easytether it runs till u stop it. The only bad thing is that txt thing that cuts the tethering but I mean its not the app its the network, verizons cdma network who doesn't allow the data to run

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  11. evltwn72

evltwn72 New Member

Its the app, with pdanet, text msgs get pushed to my laptop in a separate window. Doesn't cut off what I'm doing on the laptop.

12. Doggers

Doggers New Member

yeah i would think its the app also...but also the thing i like about pda over easytether, that it shows your current upload/download speed...unlike other one....(unless i missed it).

also thanks for suggestion for rooting my phone, but i will pass atm, maybe for future notice...

I see we have a little debate going, so still welcomed for newcommers? haha

edit with a post by Washington post....
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/24/AR2010092403207.html
    the only thing that makes me kinda tense about the article, is him talking about how wireless carriers might try charging you extra for tething, although he explains its not illegal.
  13. jcwilliams

jcwilliams Active Member

yes pda net is the best one out there. my wife uses it on here ally and i have wireless tether on my droid that also works and i have never had any problems with.
  14. Tarster

Tarster New Member

I take it you didnt read my post earlier about how pdanet is the only tethering program I'm aware of that acually has a built in sms client that will not break the 3g stream when msg's are sent and recived? I just downloaded easy tether and tried it... Had to say I was disappointed. they claim to tether to PS3/Wii/XBOX360... yet they cannot. right in the application explaination they say... you can tether to those console's though your PC if you enable internet connection sharing.. So they are just tethering to your pc and then sharing it from there... I was really disapointed when I saw the main page of the program... It just had turn on and what DNS you wanted to use... PDAnet has how much usage you have used, how many active connections you currently have and also how much battery life you have.

To be fair I decided to try them both out on the same webpage.. facebook, I connected up easytether and disconnected my laptop from the wired connection and all other wireless connections, loaded facebook up and with easytether I got to watch every single post and picture load individually. Then I loaded up my cafeworld... ok well tried, easytether wouldnt load the game.

I disconnected easytether and connected PDAnet, loaded this time in a different browser my facebook.. bam it was all there, clicked on cafeworld... and no sh** it loaded in aout 20 seconds, I have used pdanet in the worst connections parts of eastern oregon and when driving... I wouldnt recommend anything else to you then pdanet, not even the built in tethering option.

on a side not... i have never had pdanet crash on me. not while doing windows updates of 300mb or when just surfing the web while riding in the car.

thats my .25 cents :)
  15. vessej

vessej Premium Member Premium Member

i decided to try this because if reading this thread and it's pretty sweet.
    It is super quick on my notebook.
  16. Doggers

Doggers New Member

nice response bro, and yeah i tried easytether, first of all it felt it was longer to install on my machine, additionally it required a restart, and then on top of it all, like you said it did not indicate your upload or download speed, and nicely enough it showed your battery level
    which i really like,
    unless easytether fixes those issues i think everybody should go with pdanet :p...
    and i am glad that some people are trying the program as well right now too...
    p.s: i love how that although they say one code should be only used for one machine when you purchase it, they pretty much indicate that it would be okay with them if you use it on more then one...
    shows what nice guys they are :)
  17. PicturePerfect78

PicturePerfect78 New Member

Where is this app? ive been looking forever because I cannot get mine rooted so I was just going to pay for the app but I cant find it anywhere
  18. Doggers

Doggers New Member

in the market, but the full version you buy from their site.
  19. PicturePerfect78

PicturePerfect78 New Member

what's the website? I dont even know what the app of called to find it on the market
  20. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

The OG Droid can only create ad-hoc access points which the PS3 & Wii don't observe. I'm not sure about the 360 but maybe look at this.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-xbl-running-tethered-droid-using-pdanet.html
Search tags for this page
app for wifi anywhere
app to get wifi anywhere

free wifi anywhere

free wifi anywhere android

free wifi anywhere for android
get wifi anywhere on android

how to get free wifi anywhere on android

how to get free wifi for ps3
how to get free wifi on ps3 anywhere
how to get wifi anywhere android

how to get wifi anywhere on android