Wifi and release model

mdloops

Reaction score
Are there any plans to improve the Wifi connectivity in future versions of Sapphire or the kernels? I have a very nice and expensive Linksys dual band N router on the other side of the wall I my apartment and despite musings static IP, blah, blah, the connection still shows random signal strengths. Where I should have 3 or four full bars on my wifi icon most of the time I have none. Also, while 0.8.4 runs well I do have a suggestion. At the current rate of releases it seems that using the sapphire custom kernel will actually put me behind in terms of using the newest version of the OS. I would love to stay with Sapphire, however, others seem to release sooner and some have been running the new build for days now. At the least, can't versions of sapphire be released with the new build while custom features are being worked on?

Thanks for all of the hard work,

Mark

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Are there any plans to improve the Wifi connectivity in future versions of Sapphire or the kernels? I have a very nice and expensive Linksys dual band N router on the other side of the wall I my apartment and despite musings static IP, blah, blah, the connection still shows random signal strengths. Where I should have 3 or four full bars on my wifi icon most of the time I have none. Also, while 0.8.4 runs well I do have a suggestion. At the current rate of releases it seems that using the sapphire custom kernel will actually put me behind in terms of using the newest version of the OS. I would love to stay with Sapphire, however, others seem to release sooner and some have been running the new build for days now. At the least, can't versions of sapphire be released with the new build while custom features are being worked on?

Thanks for all of the hard work,

Mark

By "new build" i'm assuming you mean FRG01B.

The reason that I have not felt it important to re-release with these proprietaries is because for a source distribution, very little has actually changed in them. Any source distro only pulls a handful of files from these leaks. I did some checking on the files when I was deodexing FRG01B, and I can tell you that there wasn't any substantial change in what would be included in the sources. That's why I haven't felt the need to push out a new release just to include them.

People don't seem to realize that these leaks don't generally change all that drastically from one to the other, and basically Sapphire is attempting to drop the whole build number stigma, that seems to cause so much confusion among the users.

EDIT:
I also wanted to point out that FRG01B is not a new version of the OS. FRG01B is just a more recent build of the same OS version (namely froyo). I also wanted to point out that in terms of Sapphire lagging behind, we were actually the first froyo source ROM to build and release.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are there any plans to improve the Wifi connectivity in future versions of Sapphire or the kernels? I have a very nice and expensive Linksys dual band N router on the other side of the wall I my apartment and despite musings static IP, blah, blah, the connection still shows random signal strengths. Where I should have 3 or four full bars on my wifi icon most of the time I have none.

Are there any other qualitative or quantitative metrics of a bad connection besides your wifi icon?

I've not heard many folks complaining about wifi connectivity. I myself use wifi at my office and at home and there are no connection issues.

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Lol now that i'm done ranting about build numbers and whatnot, i suppose i could address your actual question ><

I will be looking into the wifi connectivity problem, but there's only so many things i can do about it, as the firmware files are all proprietary, so I can't really modify them. I still have a few things i can look into though.

OP
M

mdloops

Reaction score
Thank You for responding. I understand how you feel. I am a NSSA master's student, so I understand the notion "a new version is not always better." From my point of view the end user does not know what is or isn't changes within new builds, so maybe it 'could' help to have a note on your change log that indicates if something has changed (OS wise).

Your builds are great and if I had the time I would try to help out. The wifi is definitely an issue. On possible test I would like to see is a log of wifi activities, specifically attempts to initialize and connect. I have a feeling that the wifi is trying to connect, can't, but then must back off for the specified interval. Without looking it is tough for me to know, but I can say that the problem is not related to my network and tricks like manually assigning an IP will not work.

mcapozzi

Reaction score
I can attest to the Froyo wi-fi signal strength issue. I have a Droid sitting on top of my laptop. Both systems are connected to the same wi-fi access point. The laptop shows 5/5 bars and the droid shows 1/4 bars or just hangs at "Scanning...".

This occurs with every Froyo ROM and it is disappointing to say the least.

-Mike