Wifi and bluetooth tethering of ipad to droid works!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mudtoe, Aug 17, 2010.

1. mudtoe

mudtoe New Member

Hi folks:

Just an FYI, it is possible to tether your ipad to your rooted droid, and you can do it with bluetooth if your ipad is jailbreaked. You need the Wireless Tether for Root Users app for the droid (barnacle works for wifi tethering too if you don't have a netfilter enabled ROM, except that you get no bluetooth and a PPP VPN doesn't work). On the ipad you can do wireless tethering without jailbreaking with the native wifi support, but if you want to use bluetooth you have to jailbreak your ipad and install the $5 ithether package from the cydia web site.

I've got my ipad bluetooth tethered to my droid and my VPN works. I highly recommend the bluetooth route. The droid battery runs down pretty quick if you are using it in wifi mode, and in wifi mode it gets too hot to leave in your pocket. The only issues I've found is that the droid's bluetooth name doesn't appear on the ipad, instead you just see the mac address; also, if you disconnect you have to stop and restart the wifi tether application on the droid in order to be able to connect again with bluetooth. Other than that, it works great! dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

This means if you have a droid, you can get the cheaper ipad without the 3G capability, and have all the functionality of the more expensive ipad without the cost and without the second data plan.

mudtoe
  2. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS New Member Developer

why not an ipad is just another wifi device. i do it all the time with mine ;)
  3. mudtoe

mudtoe New Member

It works fine with wifi, and that wasn't hard to do. The real trick is getting it to work with bluetooth. That's a big deal over in ipad land (non-jailbreaked ipads were deliberately gimped regarding bluetooth so that they couldn't tether and eat into the sales of the more expensive 3g model and apple's cut of the data plan revenue), and from the droid point of view, the battery savings make it really worthwhile to tether via bluetooth instead of wifi.

mudtoe
  4. indiantechie

indiantechie New Member

I am one of those guys that bought an iPad and wanted to do it as cheap as possible. I never did like Apple products mainly because of the price and how they love to control everything. You are stuck in there world. yuck!
    Anyways, I am glad to hear that you got the Droid rooted with the stock 2.1 installed. Could you please post the steps that you took to make this happen? I was just about to do the root after watching the video. Then I read the post that you could not do this if you got the update. So I am a bit confused. Your post makes me believe that it is still possible, but the video doesn't address this (or i missed it). Any information would greatly be appreciated.
  5. BernteBln

BernteBln New Member

Bluetooth Tether doesn't work for me :-(

Server:
    Android 1.6, rooted,
    android-wifi-tether Version 2.02-pre13

Client:
    iPad1, iOS 4.2.1, rooted,
    iTether w/ OnDemand Version 2.1.5

I activated Bluetooth Tethering on the phone. Then I made Bluetooth visible. Next, I searched devices with iTether on the iPad. It found my phone, both MAC adress and name (It didn't ask me for a pairing code). But when I click on the device entry, I get the message ' "Internet Tethering" Service Not Found. Please make sure "Internet Tethering" and Bluetooth are both enabled on your iPhone.'.

You guys have any ideas?
  6. jeffrich21

jeffrich21 New Member

Bluetooth tethering works for me. Droid 2 rooted with z4root with an ipad2. Thanks!!
  7. qianan

qianan New Member

That's a big deal over in ipad land (non-jailbreaked ipads were deliberately gimped regarding bluetooth so that they couldn't tether and eat into the sales of the more expensive 3g model and apple's cut of the data plan revenue), and from the droid point of view, the battery savings make it really worthwhile to tether via bluetooth instead of wifi.
  8. milski65

milski65 Member

Indian, have you resolved root issue? I have 2.2.1 froyo rooted and am an ipad owner (gift. Would never buy one). No 3G. Wireless tether works like a charm.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  9. marnold2684

marnold2684 New Member

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but maybe you guys can help me out. I have been unable to connect my jail broke iPad to my rooted d1 via bluetooth. The iPad finds the device but will not connect, and being a droid user for over a year now I am not nearly as familiar with the iPad. Just to clarify I'm not necessarily trying to tether via Bluetooth (although that would be nice), I'm simply just trying to get them to connect in order to transfer pics and music and the like. The iPad will also not let me tether via wifi tether either. I'm kinda lost as to what to do so any help would be much appreciated.
Search tags for this page

android to ipad bluetooth

android to ipad bluetooth tethering
bluetooth droid ipad

bluetooth droid to ipad

bluetooth dun ipad

bluetooth tether android to ipad 2

bluetooth tether ipad to android phone

bluetooth tether ipad to droid

bluetooth tethering android to ipad

connect ipad to android bluetooth

how to bluetooth video from android to ipad