WIFI 2.2 Issue ....

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by Sterl's, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Sterl's

Sterl's New Member

Has anyone found a solution to the Wifi 2.2 issue? I've heard about a supposed leak but haven't seen a working link.

My conversation with Motorola went like this.
    Me: since I updated my (stock) Droid to 2.2 my wiwfi has not worked neither @ home or @ work
    Mot: you must have changed security settings then
    Me: no I have not, I can't even do that @ work
    Mot: can you connect to open wireless networks
    Me: Yes
    Mot. then it has to be a security setting issue
    End of call

My home wireless connects, but after a few minutes it becomes unresponsive. While my Work Wireless just scan, connects then disconnect. Took it to the IT folks and setting are all correct.

I even got a replacement phone from Verizon and still no luck
  2. diverbelow

diverbelow New Member

When I was having WiFi issues when connected to my home secure wireless with froyo (even with the current update), It would not connect to my home wireless. I deleted the connection and reattached to my wireless and will find out when I get home from work later today, to see it will automatically switch over to WiFi.
  3. diverbelow

diverbelow New Member

Once I got home and my automatically switched over to my WiFi connection and stayed connected the entire time I was home.
  4. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

I don't use WiFi normally because I don't have it at home, but at a place with Wifi (and requires a login) it connects and stays connected. It worked fine pre-Froyo and when I went back after the Froyo update it connected with no problems.
  5. bigdog9586

bigdog9586 New Member

Pull the battery for a minute and see if that helps. I had simular problem with a new router and even after updating the firmware it would either take forever to hookup or not at all. As a last resort, I don't know why I even thought of doing it but I pulled the battery and all has been well ever since.
  6. Sterl's

Sterl's New Member

Ah if it was only that simple, Done that many of times.
    Pulled Battery let it sit for 2 minutes or more. But that doesn't fix this issue
  7. gallows

gallows New Member

I have the same problem with the HTC Incredible. Got the froyo 2.2 OTA update in the morning and was working fine until last night. Problem continues to day.

The phone acts like it isn't connected to a network even though it is. Turning off the phone and removing the battery does nothing. Rebooting does nothing.

SOMETIMES manually cycling the wifi will return internet for less than a minute before it no longer works. The phone remains connected and I have the same issue no matter if I'm connected to wifi or 3G.

Confirmed WiFi works on other wifi devices as well as 3G.
  8. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I'm with diver, delete the settings and add as a new connection.
  9. gallows

gallows New Member

Tried this. Did not work.
  10. gallows

gallows New Member

HA! Now have 3 phones a moto droid 2, HTC inc, Moto Droid1... now all have same problem.

This is dumb. How does this get through the testing phase?? Oh yeah I know... because the community was flipping out about not getting the froyo 2.2 update and it made them rush it out so people would stop raging.
  11. gallows

gallows New Member

Fiddled around with it... Froyo remembers previous wifi access points settings even if you remove the profile and re-add it.

Wifi has no problems staying connected on open network on all 3 phones. This says its a security protocol issue with 2.2 as it is across the board.

Opening the security on the network forces a new profile to be created for that SSID and purges the last known settings.

I've turned the WPA back on and all phones now push data through the wifi as they should..... for now.

So the fix for me was

1. Disconnect from wifi
    2. Turn off security on the wireless access point.
    3. Reconnect to wifi.
    4. Disconnect from wifi.
    5. Re-enable security on the WAP
    6. Reconnect to wifi and enter password when prompted.
  12. Sterl's

Sterl's New Member

That's the 1st thing I di
    d, then removed the battey for 2 minutes.
    Sorry guys/Gals but this isn't a simple fix.
    I have been @ this since aug 17th the day I got the official update. My Work IT people are also looking into it since it has affect other Driod uses on Campus. Verizon & Motorola also but neither have been of any help. Verizon replaced my phone but that did nothing

Basically Wifi was working @ home when I left for work, wifi was working @ work till 8:10am when I applied 2.2. Phone rebooted & WIFI @ work has not been able to connect. And even thought Motorola wants to keep telling me something must have change security wise on both of these wireless networks, Work IT swears there have been no changes & I made no changes to the home network.

Home will connect and work for about 5 minutes after that even though the phone says it's connected & shows a strong signal & it's shows in the router Wireless just sits the unresponsive. And @ work it just cycles through connecting .. disconnecting.
    :icon_eek:
  13. rclark04

rclark04 New Member

I am having a similar problem but none of the above has worked for me. It connected to my network before the updates. Droid1 2.2 I have tried open, WEP, WPA. Mine comes up and says obtaining IP address for about 10 to 20 seconds, then says disconnected, network says disabled but also says remembering network settings. I press network again, press connect and it goes through the same thing all over again. Very puzzling. the only thing I don't know yet if it will connect to a different network. I will try to do that tomorrow.
  14. rclark04

rclark04 New Member

Well I tried a couple different open networks, hotels, restaurants and my Droid connected fine with no problems. Now I have to figure out why it doesn't connect to my home network. Like I said it says obtaining IP from network but evidently never does and then doesn't try again unless I hit connect again.
  15. rclark04

rclark04 New Member

By the way, my router is a Microsoft MN-700. I've had this router for quite awhile. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the age of the router with the latest Droid update could be the problem. I've never had any problems with any computers or laptops connecting, even windows 7.
  16. gallows

gallows New Member

The issue is not the router. It's the phone. Turn off mixed mode on the router and just set it to wireless G or Wireless N and froyo droid will push data through the wifi like it should. If it its mixed mode B/G/N or G/N with WPA security it screws everything up... unless the security is open. Then it works just fine. I've reproduced this on 4 different routers with 3 different phones. (2 Dlinks, a Netgear, and Linksys)

Play with it and you'll see. Of course this only helps us connect on networks that we have administration rights to. Does nothing for secured public or work based wireless networks.

EDIT: Removing the battery or forcing refresh of a profile will only restore the connection for a short time... if at all. (The remove battery has not worked for my Droid 2, Droid X, or Droid Incredible)
  17. Davidbiz

Davidbiz New Member

I also have a WiFi problem with my Droid 2. It seems that as soon as I navigate away from the WiFi settings page, the connection drops. I go back to the settings and see that my Network is no longer connected. I do nothing...just sit there for about 2 seconds, and it re-connects itself. However, as soon as I navigate away again...it drops! It's extremely frustrating. I tried deleting the connection. re-establishing, taking the battery out...you name it! There are other threads here that re-iterate the problem. It's definitely an issue, whether the powers that be want to accept it or not!
  18. rclark04

rclark04 New Member

I have 3 modes on my router, disabled, g performance and mixed b compatible. I tried the mixed b but didn't help so I'm leaving it on G performance. I was using WEP, didn't work, I switched to WPA, still doesn't work and I even tried open and that didn't work either. I tried the battery, deleting connection, manual IP. I really don't think it's the phone per say, it worked fine with the original software. This only started when 2.2 was installed. It does work on other networks that are open like hotels and restaurants though. Would it be advantageous to go back to the original software if you can even do that?
  19. ryanmcgreevy

ryanmcgreevy New Member

I JUST received my droid incredible today and have spent my entire Friday night unsuccessfully trying to get wi-fi to work. I have tried everything in this thread at some point and nothing has worked. I can't even connect to open networks let alone secure ones. When I was first configuring the phone, I could not even connect to the wireless and it took me a while to find out it was a not broadcasting issue. I turned broadcasting on for a bit for setup and then once the droid connected (claimed connected, never checked if it worked) I reset the settings on the phone and tried to reconnect. It connects fine but I cannot do anything with it. No browser, no marketplace, nothing. Tried WEP, WPA, open, b, g, n, bgn, bg. I have done a factory reset, pulled the battery, everything. Couple this wifi issue with Verizon's "overnight shipping" taking several days and then a 3 hour lag in my data plan actually being turned on so I could use 3G, and this has been the worst phone experience of my life....
  20. Bigocciput

Bigocciput New Member

I must say this solution worked for me. I was able to connect to anything except my wireless N at home. It would connect, data just would not flow. After changing my router to G only, it is now lightning fast. Many thanks, I just wish the Droid1 would have worked without having to change my router settings.
Search tags for this page
android mn-700
android system wont connect to mn-700

android wont connect to mn-700

droid incredible 2 scans available wifi network then disconn
how do i get my android to connect to my mn 700 router
how to hack trendnet tew-633gr
microsoft mn-700 and android

microsoft mn-700 android

nextbook 3 wifi not working

nextbook wifi problems

samsung captivate wifi disabled secured with wep