Wife's LG Ally -124dBm PRL40065 / My MotoDroid -94dBm PRL40063 - What's going on?

CharlieJ

Reaction score
As the title infers, I think there's a problem with my wife's brand new (24 hours old) LG Ally. Sitting side-by-side, her LG Ally shows -124dBm (to -126dBm). It has PRL 40065, Android 2.1-update1. My Moto Droid shows -94dBm (to -87dBm) and has PRL 40063; Android 2.1-update1.

We already did a *228, Option 1 on her phone. No change. :(

I googled a manual change after downloading a few PRLs from corolada.com, but cannot, for the life of me, find a working manual method for updating the PRL on her Ally. BTW, I tried ##778, ##775 and ##7764726. All said the number has been disconnected, blah, blah... and the edit screen never showed. Tried the ##775 and ##778 on my Droid... same result. :( Do I need to have the PRL files copied to the root of the SD card for this to work? Or am I doing something else wrong?

So, I'm at a loss. I have seen the Update your PRLs thread. Looks like here in NC, it prolly should be 51926 (Verizon). Like I said, her Ally won't change PRLs and I"m not mucking around with mine when it's working fairly well. I might end up with PRL 40065 and screw my signal strength up, too.

What are YOUR thoughts and ideas?

Last edited:

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that its *228 option 2 not 1 to update prls.

OP
CharlieJ

CharlieJ

Reaction score
You know, I've read both options on all sorts of forums, including Verizon.com. ??? Some say one works. Others say two works. Several say either works. IDK. :)

Just for S&G, I did a *228, Option 2 on my phone. I now have PRL 40065. My signal strength isn't changing much... but I still think I should have PRL 51926 if Burlington, Raleigh and other places in NC have it. Don't you?

I would really like to try a hybrid or an old, more stable PRL, if anyone knows of one that works for my area. I live near Wilmington, NC / Whiteville, NC and Loris, SC / Myrtle Beach, SC. Anyone else around here have PRL 40065... or do you have PRL 51920/51926?

The most important issue ISN'T what PRL we have on either phone... it's that her phone's signal is significantly LOWER than mine... sitting in the same room, side-by-side.

Last edited:

Mule65

Reaction score
I returned a Moto Droid and an Ally. I noticed the same thing -- stronger signal with Droid. That said, Ally never dropped or face-hung-up a call and sound quality was better than Moto. The Moto spearker phone was much, much better. I'm disappointed to say LG didn't do a great job with the Ally.

thinkdata

Reaction score
I am dropping calls on my LG Ally in places I never had trouble on my Palm Treo 700w.
Side by side, I will read 12-20 dBm poorer signal on the LG Ally. (e.g a -91 dBm on the Treo vs -106 dBm on the LG Ally) this sucks

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I've noticed that too actually, I've compared my phone (Droid) with my gf's (LG Ally) and I just think Motorola has a stronger Antenna in the Droid than LG has in the Ally.

I could make calls where she couldn't in her house (she lives on the Eastern Shore of Virginia), so I ended up buying the network extender (which is basically a localized cell phone signal generator using a VOIP protocol) over her Verizon DSL internet and now she's fine.