Wife needs a phone.... what's new coming out for Verizon?

MoonScar119

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of getting the S4 for my wife..... but every time i buy a phone a new, better phone comes out. It has happened to me 3 times. I bought the razer and the razr2 came out a month later. I bought droid1 and the Droid2 came out... same with the drouid3 going to the droid4, but i caught that in time and returned the droid3 in time lol.

So.... would you suggest getting the S4, or is there a new greatest phone coming out soon? I prefer to get a motorola droid phone, but Again, it's for my wife and i just want a popular phone that will be able to get CyanogenMod in the near future after out.

reebz

Reaction score
If you delay getting a new phone because you want to wait for the next great one, you'll never get a new phone. I've got the S4 and couldn't be happier with it.

OP
M

MoonScar119

Reaction score
If you delay getting a new phone because you want to wait for the next great one, you'll never get a new phone. I've got the S4 and couldn't be happier with it.

You're missing my point. I seriously would get a phone only to find out a newer version is coming out or a better model. Personally I am waiting until the Droid Ultra or Droid X come out with a QWERTY physical keyboard to replace my droid 4 late this fall.

And my question was along the lines of asking if anyone knew of something coming out real soon within the next week or so that would cause my to take it over the S4. It is near impossible to find reliable reports on google on upcoming phones

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
May I suggest you lurk the news section? Most confirmed release dates can be found in that section.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

m3incorp

Reaction score
Nothing new and better than Samsung S4 coming out in the next few weeks for Verizon. If you are willing to wait, then rumor is the Motorola X is coming in the fall. The Samsung Note 3 will be here soon...guess it depends on what you want.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
HTC one should hit soon to I thought they said august....

Suggested from Beer Tent Capital of the World.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Alright, here's where you need a girls advice on this. Get her an S4, frost white, and nice case. She will be happy as can be. I wasn't always a techy girl. Personally, it didn't matter what the gig-er-hertz were. :) She will love the features, the camera and the display. Thats my two-cents! Also, I have an S4. Best phone on earth, and will be a long living device.

u
So I'm thinking of getting the S4 for my wife..... but every time i buy a phone a new, better phone comes out. It has happened to me 3 times. I bought the razer and the razr2 came out a month later. I bought droid1 and the Droid2 came out... same with the drouid3 going to the droid4, but i caught that in time and returned the droid3 in time lol.

So.... would you suggest getting the S4, or is there a new greatest phone coming out soon? I prefer to get a motorola droid phone, but Again, it's for my wife and i just want a popular phone that will be able to get CyanogenMod in the near future after out.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Can't go wrong with a s4. Even if there are newer phones coming out in the next few weeks/months, it'll still be one of the top phones. Not only that, but it's futureproof with the hardware in it and I'm sure she'll love the display and the features.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
And now my two cents.

(1) Personal note -- bought the Droid 3 about a month before they announced the Droid 4. There's no therapist on the planet who can undo the damage from that episode in my life -- I'll be burned and bitter til the day I die, so i totally get where you're coming from.

(2) My crystal ball (I try to read Android/tech news daily) tells me that Samsung's reboot of the S4 will be very similar to the HTC One, e.g., metal unibody and very, very sexy. I personally think it will be the kind of phone that will make S4 owners wish they waited (please see minirant in the postscript below), BUT (and it's a HUGE BUT) I wouldn't expect it to be announced until Q1 2014, and released end of the same quarter. So I'd say the coast is clear on the S4 for the time-being. (Remember, all that was speculation.)

(3) Verizon is getting the HTC One sometime "soon", but given that Sprint and AT&T have had it for a few months now, if you picked it up in August or September, you (and/or your wife) would instantly have a little, nagging voice in your head that something better was around the corner (read minirant below if you haven't already). Again, my sense (hah, I made a pun) is that HTC won't be releasing anything in the class of the One until early next year, and when they do, my gut feeling on that is that it will be like the jump from S3 -> S4, that is, incremental. I don't think you'll really have any regrets.

(4) There is a lot of buzz coming now from Motorola, but anyone who reads my posts here knows I ALWAYS play the "emperor's new clothes" card which means I...just...don't...get it. I do not think that either the new Droid or the X lines will be noteworthy. Both campaigns will die about a week after launch. (Though, admittedly, the hype coming from the Googorola machine right now over the software capabilities of the X, e.g., "situational awareness" and "dedicated-chip power management" sound promising. But if the launch is sometime this fall, we should be seeing "blow your mind" trade show demos right now, and the fact that we're not means the technology simply doesn't exist -- I really think it's all talk and marketing hype.)

Personally, no other phones are on my radar. I would have LOVED a Nexus 5 (the mythical replacement to the Nexus 4), but remember the 4 never came with a CDMA radio, meaning no Verizon version. And for now the N5 is vaporware anyway.

tl;dr Both the S4 and the One look like wonderful phones, with way more than enough horsepower and battery life (though only the S4 has a removable battery). Great cameras, great screens, great phones. And if you don't mind seeing better phones in about 6 months, you'd be a happy owner of either.

-Matt

PS Minirant: I've babbled for pages and pages elsewhere on this forum about the cell-phone production/marketing loop, and how each of us has been sucked into basically an addictive cycle of (1) comparison shopping like a madman for weeks, (2) FINALLY settling on the phone of our dreams, (3) living happily-ever-after for about a month, and then (4) spending the next ~12 months nail-biting and wondering "should I have waited???" So my own personal mantra is "we all have those feelings" and "there's no point in reminding someone else who's in the shopping stage that 'if you wait for the next best thing you'll never buy a phone.'" The lure of shiny plastic and metal and glass and technology is powerful drugs and no amount of common sense or rational thinking can overcome it. ;)

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
Has anyone ever told you trants that your a smart mofo? lol well if they haven't then i will, your absolutely correct about everything you said. I totally agree.. now for mine.

When it comes to holding value as an android device Samsung seems to be doing the best in that department. hTc isnt far behind them. Moto is slowly making a comeback though, i think they are betting on the new wave of devices to bring them back. The Bionic burned alot of people, including me. The RAZR sold well and the HD was good too. But neither of them brought them to where they need to be. Lets see what the new wave of motos are like, but the S4 is a great choice, itll hold its value well into next year, as well as the One (when it does come to verizon).

Dare i say this but, since the Moto X is supposed to launch this fall, that would put it going head to head with the iPhone 5S and/or iPhone 6. Soooo we all know what happens there...not even going into that trash lol...

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Has anyone ever told you trants that your a smart mofo? lol well if they haven't then i will, your absolutely correct about everything you said. I totally agree.. now for mine.

When it comes to holding value as an android device Samsung seems to be doing the best in that department. hTc isnt far behind them. Moto is slowly making a comeback though, i think they are betting on the new wave of devices to bring them back. The Bionic burned alot of people, including me. The RAZR sold well and the HD was good too. But neither of them brought them to where they need to be. Lets see what the new wave of motos are like, but the S4 is a great choice, itll hold its value well into next year, as well as the One (when it does come to verizon).

Dare i say this but, since the Moto X is supposed to launch this fall, that would put it going head to head with the iPhone 5S and/or iPhone 6. Soooo we all know what happens there...not even going into that trash lol...
Jeez, you're awfully kind. Thanks!!!

-Matt

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
my 2c,
i say, get something that has been out a little while, like a month or 3. that way you can see user reports and bugs, also dev interest. if you want to mod the phone you will already know who is on board and how the dev pool is growing or not.
if you wait for the next best thing, well there will always be the next best thing as stated before. in doing so your basically going in blind and hoping it wont be a flop, or get limited dev support.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
(4) There is a lot of buzz coming now from Motorola, but anyone who reads my posts here knows I ALWAYS play the "emperor's new clothes" card which means I...just...don't...get it. I do not think that either the new Droid or the X lines will be noteworthy. Both campaigns will die about a week after launch. (Though, admittedly, the hype coming from the Googorola machine right now over the software capabilities of the X, e.g., "situational awareness" and "dedicated-chip power management" sound promising. But if the launch is sometime this fall, we should be seeing "blow your mind" trade show demos right now, and the fact that we're not means the technology simply doesn't exist -- I really think it's all talk and marketing hype.)

Initially I agreed with this assessment, and even shunned the device... but the most recent developments seem to put it all into perspective and make sense. Googorola isn't shooting for the moon right now, they're actually playing into a market that is bursting at the seams even without anything decent to drive it... the low budget market, and they're beating the iCrap Mini to the punch. The only options that have really been available are either junk hardware for cheap prices or $650 for the current flagship, and that model has remained unchanged for years. Until now, the X will be one of the most heavily adopted phones of all time despite the fact that it's inferior to the flagships on paper because Google has given Moto upwards of half a billion dollars in marketing, which is enough to sell snake-oil by the gallons. But even that wouldn't sell a old news phone for long, so they designed it to be smarter than anything on the market today...all for the (so far rumored price) of ~$200 off contract. That's the trick, this phone can be hand without a contract for a subsidized price and still be feature rich and stack-able against the flagships, not because it's got more ram or GHz, but because it's designed to be smart, not because it's got the largest marketing budget on earth for a single device, or because it's cheap...but all three are the trifecta.

The outrageous demand that this phone should see hasn't even really been realized yet but a week after launch it will be headline news for many weeks thereafter. The trend of hyper expense for the promise of 6 months of anti-inferiority will come to an end because it can't compete against the good phone on an unbelievable budget model. When Google can give you a new phone every 4 months for the price of having a new phone once a year off contract, that is very very attractive to a lot of people. Even Apple saw the market and gave up their entire reputation to bet the farm on the iPhone Mini, and there's good reason.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I hope you're right. The $200 price-point would definitely make a pretty big dent -- basically the same pricing strategy as the initial Kindle Fire release, and we all know how that went. :) Question: how do you think it will go with Verizon? Given that the Nexus 4 never made it to VZW -- and the agonizing pace of getting a Verizon HTC One -- I have an uncomfortable suspicion that Verizon would not be so happy with a Motorola phone that (a) works on their network and (b) they don't completely control. I guess once we have the CDMA version of the X in hand, we'll know.

-Matt