Wi-Fi

Stevetx1989

Reaction score
Is using wifi without a VZW plan now obsolete? Before I rooted and rommed my phone I was able to use it without a charge for some reason. Got to use a whole .3gb over time.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

reichbc

Reaction score
Are we talking data tethering here or using WiFi instead of 3G/4G?

Wifi on its own is free. It requires no service on Verizon's part and should be no problem or charge to you.

If you are using a data tethering application to use your phone as a Wifi hotspot, then Verizon sees it as such. The only application I trust is the "Wireless Tether for root users" application in the Market. As far as I know, unless Verizon or the app's devs changed anything, it takes PC traffic and converts it to PHONE data to make VZW's net seem like the phone is doing all the work.

Hope this was helpful.

OP
Stevetx1989

Stevetx1989

Reaction score
I was referring to data tethering. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

masterjedinim

Reaction score
wifi

I rooted my D2 and when I try to use wireless tether it redirects me to the vzw wifi and won't allow my pc to connect and run anything over the phones internet. Any clue how to disable the vzw wifi app?

Jehu

Reaction score
Rather than starting another thread... I've recently learned about the benefits of rooting my Droid-X. I'm sure that I have a lot more to learn about it but, for now, the WiFi hotspot is my main objective. It took me a while to figure out how to root Android 2.3.3. The first thing I did was turn on Mobile Wi-Fi hotspot. My notebook computer was able to connect to a Verizon page that explains how to pay for it. After that I tried WiFi-tether 3.1-pre111 from recommendations on this forum. It gave me the same result. My last attempt was to meet up with a friend who has his Bionic successfully rooted and with WiFi hotspot active. I'm impressed at how it works. We compared the speed test to my Verizon 4G modem and the Bionic is faster. He told me that he doesn't use a third party WiFi like WiFi-tether. He just changes the DHCP start address to 192.168.22.2 (from 192.168.42.2). I still get the same Verizon page. Can anyone help with this? Did Verizon just flag my account because of my first attempt?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Rather than starting another thread... I've recently learned about the benefits of rooting my Droid-X. I'm sure that I have a lot more to learn about it but, for now, the WiFi hotspot is my main objective. It took me a while to figure out how to root Android 2.3.3. The first thing I did was turn on Mobile Wi-Fi hotspot. My notebook computer was able to connect to a Verizon page that explains how to pay for it. After that I tried WiFi-tether 3.1-pre111 from recommendations on this forum. It gave me the same result. My last attempt was to meet up with a friend who has his Bionic successfully rooted and with WiFi hotspot active. I'm impressed at how it works. We compared the speed test to my Verizon 4G modem and the Bionic is faster. He told me that he doesn't use a third party WiFi like WiFi-tether. He just changes the DHCP start address to 192.168.22.2 (from 192.168.42.2). I still get the same Verizon page. Can anyone help with this? Did Verizon just flag my account because of my first attempt?

I doubt they flagged your account.

Gingerbread 2.3.3 has basically closed the hole in WiFi tethering. That said, you can (a) install a new ROM, then use WiFi, or (b) use wired tether, such as EasyTether.

Jehu

Reaction score
I doubt they flagged your account. Gingerbread 2.3.3 has basically closed the hole in WiFi tethering. That said, you can (a) install a new ROM, then use WiFi, or (b) use wired tether, such as EasyTether.
Thanks Urban. I'll give that a try. (Go Broncos!)