1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Wi-Fi Setting?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by dreemesicle, Nov 16, 2009.

1. dreemesicle

dreemesicle Member

The Droid is my first Smartphone and I'm a bit overwhelmed here.
    About Wi-Fi...Is this used mainly when you don't have a wireless connection and it helps find a "hot spot" so you can connect to the Internet, yes?
    And...Should I keep the Wi-Fi setting turned off?
    Thanks a bunch! Hope everyone is having a fantastic evening!
    Tammy*
  2. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

you shouldn't just connect to any random wi-fi you can find. if you have wi-fi at work or at home, use that instead of the 3g, to minimize charges ...also, sometimes wifi is faster than the 3g, or is useful when 3g is not available in a certain spot). disable wifi when you're not using it to preserve battery.

hope this helps.
  3. dreemesicle

dreemesicle Member

I'm a little confused...You said to minimize charges, use wi-fi at work/home if I have it. What charges are you talking about? Right now I'm paying $30.00 for the data plan. Thanks for your help Wuyanks! I really appreciate it. Have a great day tomorrow!
    Tammy*
  4. msheldon

msheldon New Member

Two big reasons to use Wifi from my point of view:
    #1, depending on your network, it's usually faster for downloading and browsing
    #2, some apps will only work on a wifi network. The Tivo remote control, Squeezebox remote control etc are some, another is the remote server access of ES File Explorer. In short, when you need to access local network resources.

I generally turn Wifi off unless I'm at home.
  5. Yorba

Yorba New Member

Likewise -- the MyVerizon app (which is a quick way to see your minutes, etc....) will not work over wifi.

I only use the wifi at home and that is to get some additional speed.
  6. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

ignore my statement about additional charges... but yes, wi-fi is useful for faster speeds where applicable... (work, home, etc)...
  7. dreemesicle

dreemesicle Member

Thanks Yorba and MSheldon! You guys are great!
  8. jdubbs23

jdubbs23 New Member

I think though some location apps like Locale use wifi even if not connected. I leave mine on all the time until I notice a prob with battery usage.
  9. garrett

garrett Beta Team Theme Developer Developer

also since CDMA can only do voice or data at a time... if your connected to wi-fi you can talk and browse and you will also recieve texts and other messages when you wouldnt if you werent on wi-fi
  10. ygohome

ygohome New Member

Are you speaking specifically regarding the droid? Because I have a CDMA Touch Pro (WinMo) and i can receive calls at the same time I'm browsing the web using my data connection.

Another nice to see feature would be an app similar to WMWiFiRouter except for the Droid. That app (for windows mobile) connects via cellular network for broadband and then uses the phones wifi to connect to your laptop(s). In other words it works like an access point router. I connect three laptops to the device via wifi (uses wep security), no cables.

By the way, I can accept and send phone calls on that phone while using wifi and the dataconnection at the same time. Curious why the droid would be any different unless its an OS limitation.
  11. garrett

its not a limitation of the device its the networks limitation. CDMA can only do one or the other a time, doesnt matter what device the network cannot do both at once. Now if that device is connected to wifi then yes you will be able to do both.

try it on any CDMA device turn off wi-fi then call someone or just call your voicemail and then try to open a page that you have not been to previously,(or clear your cache) it will time out due to no connection.
  12. ygohome

ygohome New Member

ah, your right... i just tried that test and it did as you described. WHen I was tethering with internet sharing I would be able to receive phone calls and I assumed the data connection was still functioning during the calls... it must've been disabled during the call instead.
  13. xwera43

xwera43 New Member

Actually, it's device dependent not a CDMA limitation. Many LG phones on VZW can do data & voice simultaneously as well as other devices.

~X
  14. garrett

there is not a CDMA network in the world that can deliver both at once right now... sure the phones might be able to do both but without a network capable of delivering both its not going to happen.

its like having a sports car that uses some advanced gasoline that hasnt been invented yet.

look at this press release that was just released 2 months ago... more importantly read the bold section. This SVDO will be part of the LTE rollout. (slow but steady)

this is where the information came from http://cdg.org/news/press/2009/Aug17_09.asp
Search tags for this page

1x diversity

1x diversity disable
1x diversity incredible
droid 4 change wifi settings
droid wifi settings
modify 1x diversity
modify 1x diversity rdds
modify evdo diversity
motorola droid 2.2.3 setting to wi-fi
owner info will show on wifi wettings
svdo router