Wi-Fi or 3G?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
When both a Wi-Fi and 3G network are available, does the Droid default to one or the other? Is this function user-selectable, other than turning off Wi-Fi? How can the user tell which network is being used?

Great question, the responses answered the question I had

baruch

Reaction score
follow-up & FYI

bastosero;232888 Well said:
just coming across: Skype & VZW have announced a mobile app to address this issue, expected late march

LilDavy

Reaction score
What about when the phone is in Idle - will the Wifi utilize more battery to make a noticeable difference in usage time?

luweegy

Reaction score
My wifi won't connect.I was on the phone with VZN for 1/2 an hr today and never got anywhere.On top of that I got disonnected from VZN before I got a answer.Got any ideas? Thanx

Fraxinus

Reaction score
just coming across: Skype & VZW have announced a mobile app to address this issue, expected late march

Yeah, there used to be Skype Mobile in the market but I'm guessing the pulled it in anticipation of this alliance. The old Skype Mobile app would not have supported Skype calls over 3G.

What about when the phone is in Idle - will the Wifi utilize more battery to make a noticeable difference in usage time?

That's a good question. I use Locale which toggles the WiFi on and off to check my location and I never see WiFi in my list of greatest battery consuming apps/services when used in that capacity. It definitely puts a drain when in use, but otherwise I don't think you'll notice it much. That said, someone else mentioned an issue if WiFi is constantly polling and trying to find a network to connect to; that probably could be an issue. I suppose too that if WiFi is handling your background data that it might burn through your battery (this may only be an issue when you're using airplane mode with WiFi on...I think the Droid uses 3G by default when the phone is idle otherwise).

My wifi won't connect.I was on the phone with VZN for 1/2 an hr today and never got anywhere.On top of that I got disonnected from VZN before I got a answer.Got any ideas? Thanx

Tough to say, it could be a lot of things. A few easy things I would check are:
  • What encryption protocol are you using on your router/access point? Older hardware, while it supports WPA, doesn't always do so very well. I had a problem at my house with a Netgear WGR614 and using WPA
  • Make sure you have selected the right encryption on your Droid and typed your password/key correctly (you've probably already done this...)
  • try resetting your router and maybe even modem (you've probably already done this...)
  • Finally, if you've gotten really fancy and are using some kind of enterprise level wireless security, the Android UI doesn't support LEAP encryption (though I understand the OS does)

hope that helps a little...

slinky

Reaction score
I REALLY miss skype. I had it with my jailbreak iPhone. It's all pathetic since you can just call any VOIP service to do it for you. VZW is just ticked off they can't take something more on these calls and are probably looking for a way to meter Skype. I hope they do it and cause a mass movement to another carrier...

Fraxinus

Reaction score
The Skype Mobile app should be coming back once Verizon is up and running with Skype calls over their network this month. All their press information says unlimited skype-to-skype calls and I can only assume it will support *both* WiFi and 3G at that point.

MuzzleBuster

Reaction score

I always have wifi on when at home. If I haven't touched the phone for a little while, the wifi icon is not at the top of the screen. Only after I start running something that needs the internet does it bring back wifi.

I assume wifi goes into the background or sleeps until needed.
Battery doesn't seem to be too bad with wifi on. I like the data speed, so it really doesn't matter.... well, that and I have a half dozen micro USB chargers. :i-m_so_happy: