Wi-Fi only Rom for original Droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dishnu, Sep 27, 2011.

1. dishnu

dishnu Member

Does anyone know of a wifi only rom for a D1 once I upgrade I would like to use it as a mini tablet. Just can't see getting rid of a good device

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  2. JayR_

JayR_ Theme Developer Theme Developer

Pretty much any rom is wifi capsble though i dont think you will find one that only wifi works. Maybe im missing the point though

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  3. Droids

Droids New Member

Once you upgrade to a new phone, assuming same line and all, you're old smartphone becomes a wi-fi only tablet automatically. I upgraded from the original Droid to the Bionic. The old Droid can and does still serve me up email, text messaging, chats, browses the web, plays music and videos, can be my alarm clock, etc. It cannot use the Verizon network, wifi only, and it doesn't make or receive phone calls. Even out in the wild, it will still play your stored music, videos, and so on. Camera still works, everything. Is that what you were asking about? Heh, you can set it back to factory defaults too if you want, or leave it as is. I kinda like having a second device around for that.
    :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:
    Oh, I'm not sure if the market works, mine hasn't since the phone upgrade. I know it's fine to transfer or re-download paid apps to a new phone, not sure if you are allowed to run paid apps on two phones at once. Free apps are a-ok and you can side-load them if need be.
  4. darkmatter

darkmatter New Member

Well, I've had my ogd running for 8 days without recharging it. Its in airplane mode with wifi turned on. Even still, I find "phone standby" to take up the vast majority of the battery.

And yes, you can have all apps on as many devices as you register with your google account. I have many apps, paid and free, running on my ogd, nook color and d3.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  5. obinGilchrist

obinGilchrist New Member

Maybe im missing the point though
  6. dishnu

dishnu Member

I understand about setting to airplane mode...however I would like to just get rid of the "Phone aspsect" since I will be using the new phone for calls and that would extend the batt life on the OD

7. pistacio

pistacio New Member

I've been using my OG in this fashion for a while and over the past week I've been thinking about the same thing!

If your rooted, I guess you could go in and start removing parts of the "phone" aspect like the dialer, contacts, etc. Not sure how many force closes you'll encounter or what functionality will be upset, but that's what nandroid backups are for ;)

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums App
  8. dishnu

dishnu Member

That is what I would liketo do but not being adept at programing I do not know how to remove those built in apps like dialer and was hoping that there may already be a Rom built for the purpose.

9. jrracinfan

jrracinfan Member

Any rom will do. Something to look into. Creating a new google voice account install the app then install sipdroid. Then you will be able to make VOIP phone calls and txt msg over the wifi connection.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
Search tags for this page
droid charge wifi only rom
wifi only android rom for droid razr

wifi only droid rom

wifi only rom for droid

wifi phone og droid android rom