Wi-Fi issues.

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by mauzydpt, Sep 29, 2011.

1. mauzydpt

mauzydpt New Member

Have been using SS 5.5 since it was released with no problems. All of a sudden my Wi-Fi isn't working. I have switched roms and it will work and even reflashed 5.5 and still no Wi-Fi. Would just go with another rom but having other issues with them. Any help would be great.
    Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  2. jchammer123

jchammer123 New Member

I know it sounds weird but, try a different kernel.

3. tcyree2202

tcyree2202 New Member

It doesn't sound weird at all. However, I'm having the same issue, and I tried switching kernels, among other things. See the second to last post in the 5.5 bug thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/166617-ss-5-5-bug-thread-22.html. Might try a kernel other than Chevy's just to test it out. Not sure if that'll break other stuff, though. :unsure:
  4. jchammer123

jchammer123 New Member

When you installed the rom did you wipe everything, thenreboot into recovery, then install the rom? Or did you just wipe everything and install?

5. tcyree2202

tcyree2202 New Member

I did actually, and I started super clean. I was having some major issues on my last install, so I SBF'd back to stock, and did the whole process from scratch. My phone has never run better since Chevy started releasing GB roms, just this one little wifi issue that popped up about two days ago. I still haven't tried someone else's kernel like I said I might earlier. I suppose if we can't find an easy fix, I'll just wipe and start over.
  6. jchammer123

jchammer123 New Member

That might be your best bet. If chevys kernels won't work then I doubt someone elses will be different. Have you tried connecting to another wifi hotspot?

7. tcyree2202

tcyree2202 New Member

That's my problem, I don't have any other networks available to connect with. I just moved out to the country to take care of my grandmother, and the only network available is the one here at the house. I'm just too lazy to wipe and re-install right now, haha, even though I'm currently jobless and don't really have anything else to occupy my time. If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to chime in at any time. If I don't fix it within the next couple days, I'll just wipe and start fresh. Also, I'm curious to know if the OP, @mauzydpt, found any useful info.
  8. mauzydpt

mauzydpt New Member

Still no luck, trying everything still no Wi-Fi. It's annoying because I rooted my wife's phone with same kernal and hers is fine.

9. jchammer123

jchammer123 New Member

That's really strange. I would like to see what others have to say as well. I had a wifi issue once before, but it was a little different. I solved by calling my internet company and explaining the problem and they made a few changes to my wifi connection and it has worked since. I guess you could try that.

10. tcyree2202

tcyree2202 New Member

Good news! Well, for me anyway. I'm hoping this info might help you as well. Currently my ISP is AT&T. My uncle had it set up here at my grandmother's place, and they use those DSL modems that double as WiFi to skip the router step. I found the i.p. address for the modem, logged in and went to wireless settings. The wireless security was set to use WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK, so I just set it to strictly WPA2-PSK. Went into wireless settings on my droid, forgot the network, re-connected, and now I have wifi again. So, I don't know what kind of set up you have at home, but step #7 on this page How to fix Android Wi-Fi problems :: SearchNetworking.com.au is what made me think it might be a security issue. Good luck! Hope you get it sorted out.
  11. chewy74

chewy74 New Member

Are you getting wifi connection at all? Or are you connected, but constantly getting drops and reconnects?

tcyree2202 New Member

My original problem, and I believe it's mauzydpt's problem as well, was no connection at all. It would fluctuate between scanning and "obtaining ip address." Since my last post, I've had two drops and reconnects. However, I changed some other settings with the modem, like power setting (not even sure what that means, I really don't care for AT&T's DSL service or equipment), so I'll probably tinker with those for a while and see if I can keep a constant connection. It hasn't lost connection since and while writing this, though. dancedroid
  13. mauzydpt

mauzydpt New Member

Wasn't getting any Wi-Fi. But reflashed and seems to be working good as new again.

14. tcyree2202

tcyree2202 New Member

Glad you got it working one way or another. :)
  15. chewy74

chewy74 New Member

try using a static IP for your phone...(im on MIUI so not sure if SS5.5 has that option). I did that and it fixed my drop/reconnect issues...ive never had a problem with it not connecting though, but its worth a try

also try wiping cache & dalvik