wi fi connection drops or does it?

grannynancy

Reaction score
This is the strangest thing and tech support at VZW is useless

I have a Linksys Wireless G access point to which is attached (wireless) two cell phones and one laptop as well as 2 wired connections.

My router rarely rarely drops the wireless signal, if I do it is because the ISP has gone down but it stays connected. Now my laptop and the HTC Evo (sprint) constantly stay connected to the wireless internet.

The HTC Thunderbolt (VZW) is another topic altogether. Glad I have unlimited and live in 4G but do want to note the issue if I am elsewhere:

I will have it on wireless say for an hour. Then go to check something on the internet and it says the connection is unavailable. Check my wireless settings and my wireless icon and it says I am connected at 54 MBPS (my router speed) with excellent connection. In order to get the internet, though, I have to turn OFF the wireless then turn it back on and it immediately reconnects (with a momentary 4G connection).
I know the internet connections is good during this because I can connect on the internet at the same time...my work computer is wired in and is on VPN and I get notified immediately on disconnect. Plus I can be on the internet on the wifi laptop while the phone is not connecting.

So I wind up just leaving the darned thing on 4G because I want to get my emails when they roll in and not miss them due to this strange timeout issue where the phone still says it is connected.

VZW says it is the router - but that does not explain to me why the laptop or the Sprint phone NEVER disconnect. Also MY phone is usually 10-15 feet from the router which is in my home office and my friend's phone is on another floor across the house from the router.

I actually had the same thing happen with the first TB I got which had an issue with recieving a cellular data signal; at least this one does that.

Has anybody ever seen something like this? How could it be the router? They say go connect to another wifi to troubleshoot but I already CAN connect to wifi-I would have to go somewhere where I would sit for hours (and I may try this next time at an airport with free wife) to see if it does that same thing.

Last edited:

johnmcase

Reaction score
This is the strangest thing and tech support at VZW is useless

I have a Linksys Wireless G access point to which is attached (wireless) two cell phones and one laptop as well as 2 wired connections.

My router rarely rarely drops the wireless signal, if I do it is because the ISP has gone down but it stays connected. Now my laptop and the HTC Evo (sprint) constantly stay connected to the wireless internet.

The HTC Thunderbolt (VZW) is another topic altogether. Glad I have unlimited and live in 4G but do want to note the issue if I am elsewhere:

I will have it on wireless say for an hour. Then go to check something on the internet and it says the connection is unavailable. Check my wireless settings and my wireless icon and it says I am connected at 54 MBPS (my router speed) with excellent connection. In order to get the internet, though, I have to turn OFF the wireless then turn it back on and it immediately reconnects (with a momentary 4G connection).
I know the internet connections is good during this because I can connect on the internet at the same time...my work computer is wired in and is on VPN and I get notified immediately on disconnect. Plus I can be on the internet on the wifi laptop while the phone is not connecting.

So I wind up just leaving the darned thing on 4G because I want to get my emails when they roll in and not miss them due to this strange timeout issue where the phone still says it is connected.

VZW says it is the router - but that does not explain to me why the laptop or the Sprint phone NEVER disconnect. Also MY phone is usually 10-15 feet from the router which is in my home office and my friend's phone is on another floor across the house from the router.

I actually had the same thing happen with the first TB I got which had an issue with recieving a cellular data signal; at least this one does that.

Has anybody ever seen something like this? How could it be the router? They say go connect to another wifi to troubleshoot but I already CAN connect to wifi-I would have to go somewhere where I would sit for hours (and I may try this next time at an airport with free wife) to see if it does that same thing.

I have had the EXACT same problem ever since I bought the Thunderbolt back in March. It's gotten so bad that I've given up completely on the WIFI and leave it on 4g all the time. Thank god for unlimited data. :)

I haven't bothered calling VZW, I'm sure they will deflect and try to blame it on my router or whatever, but like you I have a laptop that is connected wirelessly 100% of the time and it rarely disconnects. I keep thinking that maybe I have a bum phone and should demand a replacement.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Try advance wifi lock from the market. It prevents the wifi from sleeping when the screen times out. I have been using it for months and its been great!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums