Wi-fi/4G problems

Theche

Reaction score
I got my Razr on release day and all is working well except for some connection issues. This problem may be a little hard to explain but I will do my best because I definitely need some help! I am able to connect to both wifi and 4g but for some reason it will not work sometimes even if it says I am connected. The problem appears to be occurring when the wifi and/or 4g icons at the top of the screen are not highlighted in a blue color. It seems like I am connected to the network/wifi but it is not "using" the connection. When the icons are not highlighted in a blue color, they are gray which is when it is not working. Is this a known problem that can be fixed or no? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

JessyK408

Reaction score
Someone help!!

I got my Razr on release day and all is working well except for some connection issues. This problem may be a little hard to explain but I will do my best because I definitely need some help! I am able to connect to both wifi and 4g but for some reason it will not work sometimes even if it says I am connected. The problem appears to be occurring when the wifi and/or 4g icons at the top of the screen are not highlighted in a blue color. It seems like I am connected to the network/wifi but it is not "using" the connection. When the icons are not highlighted in a blue color, they are gray which is when it is not working. Is this a known problem that can be fixed or no? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

I just created an account to get in on this thread because my RAZR has started to display this issue. When WIFI is off, there is no problem and the 4GLTE symbol is in blue. As soon as I turn WIFI back on, however, the network data icon immediately switches over to grey and then after a second or so the WIFI icon shows up next to the network data icon also in grey. If I turn the WIFI back off, the network data is good to go again.

I have tried deleting the WIFI information, changing the WAP, restarting the phone multiple times, tried switching over to 3g before starting up WIFI again, and I have gone through every single setting I can find. No luck. This is so frustrating because the phone has been flawless up until now.

adil

Reaction score
I have the same problem and I'm pretty sure Motorola knows about this issue already. I'm planning to complain at VZW if the next update dots not resolve this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

JessyK408

Reaction score
I have the same problem and I'm pretty sure Motorola knows about this issue already. I'm planning to complain at VZW if the next update dots not resolve this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

What makes you say that Moto knows about this issue? I wasn't able to find it anywhere.

kenoshabrew

Reaction score
I just created an account to get in on this thread because my RAZR has started to display this issue. When WIFI is off, there is no problem and the 4GLTE symbol is in blue. As soon as I turn WIFI back on, however, the network data icon immediately switches over to grey and then after a second or so the WIFI icon shows up next to the network data icon also in grey. If I turn the WIFI back off, the network data is good to go again.

I have tried deleting the WIFI information, changing the WAP, restarting the phone multiple times, tried switching over to 3g before starting up WIFI again, and I have gone through every single setting I can find. No luck. This is so frustrating because the phone has been flawless up until now.

So this, in effect, is causing you to put all your data through 4G instead of wifi? There has to be a lot of people out there without unlimited data still and this could really push them over their quotas if that's the case. Since Verizon *seems* to know about the issue, I would hope they would credit someone's account. If you have a rep tell you they know about the issue, than for GOD'S SAKE get their name, time you called them, and even their exention if you can. Make sure you tell them to note on your account it is a known issue. If you want to really be safe ask to speak to a supervisor and get their name and time called as well. If this is a widespread issue people WILL go over their data unintentionally - it's just a matter of time.

--kenoshabrew

Reaction score
This isn't limited to the razor. My droid x is doing the same thing. If my network symbols are blue I am good to go. But if I let it go to sleep, come back and it's white and can't connect to anything data related. I read it is an issue syncing to your google account?

Most of the time for me it is a restart of the phone. Now I have an app "restart connections" that takes care of it. I had a heck of a time connecting to my wifi at home lately.... Glitch in gb?

A link to some info
http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-x/89496-blue-3g-vs-white-3g-indicator.html

More info
https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/52862

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:

snoopdroid

Reaction score
I have the same problem on my Razr. I'll be doing something and notice that I'm on 3G for no reason. I restart my phone and I'm back on 4lte. Thanks for the app suggestion. 'Restart Connections' seems to be the fix until Verizon/Motorola get this fixed.

Reaction score
It was just ironic to run across this thread last night about 30 min after I googled for it.

Glad the app does the trick for ya

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

spookiewon

Reaction score
Oh, it absolutely isn't unique to the RAZR. In fact, I was pretty dismayed to find this thread, because my Bionic had this issue and Verizon replaced it with a RAZR because (they said) it WOULDN'T have this issue. And so far (only one day) it doesn't. I'm crossing my fingers, but I believe from conversations with various people at Verizon, that it affects all models of 4G Motorola/Verizon phones running Gingerbread, as it appears to be in the network stack.

Delkomatic

Reaction score
same problem but easy quick fix

I fix long press on the power button and airplane mode then long press again on power to turn air plan mode off it brings 4g right back I find that I have the most problem in place where I have "weak" 4g services if that makes sense. I hope to god they fix it I find up top my little 4g and 3 g symbols completely disappear which is awesome but that's technology for ya pay an arm and a leg for it and only get half an arms worth of product out of it.

tclarktc

Reaction score
I had a hella weird experience last night. After 4G died off, I stayedd on full, blue 3G, then a couple hours after that the the bars and 3G were white and the connectivity indicators weren't active. However, once I tried to use data it was really, really fast and as soon as task was completed the went dormant again. Connection like this last for about an hour and half and then 3G went away all together and I have only had plain white bars with the exception of a brief instance a half hour ago that I had 1X.

MikeKunkle

Reaction score
Wi-fi/4G problems - Droid RAZR

I upgraded from DroidX to RAZR on 11/27. Until 12/5, everything was great. I had a constant 4G LTE connection, without Wi-fi. I saw the 4G LTE in blue. This was in my home area of DFW, as well as Chicago and Portland, Maine. On Monday, 12/5, my phone rebooted on its own about ten times that day. On Tuesday 12/6, it rebooted once, while I was on a call. Since then, 4G LTE connectivity has been very spotty. When I turn on Wi-fi at home, it works fine. If I turn Wi-fi off, I lose the blue 4G LTE and have the white 3G. I can make cell calls, but have no data connection.

I just called Verizon Support. The rep had me turn my phone off, remove the memory and SIM card, wait 30 seconds, replace both, and restart the phone. I immediately had full 4G LTE, for about 2 minutes after I hung up. Then, right back to 3G white, with no data connectivity.

Very frustrating. The support rep did mention that they had intermittent 4G LTE challenges all week. For me, if I am paying for a data plan and don't have one, this is completely unacceptable. I don't really care whether it's a 4G LTE network issue, and OS (Gingerbread) issue, as someone suggested, or a phone/hardware issue. It needs to be fixed, or I need to switch to something else that works. It would be really fantastic if Verizon, Google and/or Motorola would speak up about this issue transparently, and say what the problem is, and tell us when it can be addressed, so we can determine the best course of action.

flakrat

Reaction score
I've had my RAZR for 3 weeks now, here are some observations:
I've disabled LTE for the past 2 weeks to rule that out.

If I have WIFI enabled, the phone can successfully connect to home networks (WPA) and enterprise networks (WIFI-NAC), however after a while all data will cease to work (wifi fan, 3g and cell signal are blue). Looking at the phone status bar, the wifi fan, 3g and cell signals are all gray.

Sometimes I can turn off wifi, after which 3g and cell signal will remain gray, but data will work. Other times, doing the same thing, data will not work. Cycling airplane mode doesn't get the data working. At that point I have to reboot the phone.

Other times, if I try to turn off wifi, the process will hang, never showing that wifi is disabled. These always require a phone reboot.

Right now, I'm to the point where I leave WIFI off constantly. So far, this seems to keep data stable. Fortunately I have unlimited data. Moto needs to address this issue, or at least acknowledge it!

ngt

Reaction score
if anyone is still having an issue with this, I was too. turned off my bluetooth on the droid razr maxx and everything works perfectly

Jill7

Reaction score
Here's what worked for me on XT912:

Router - Can be at default settings (i.e., It's not the router. Router can be set to mixed n/g/b)

Phone
- Forget network
- WPS to regain connection (this may hang in an IP loop)
- Back arrow
- Select network / Modify / Advanced settings / Change to Auto (this is to get default settings - should be connected with gray bars now)
- Network / Modify / Static
- Change IP address to something unused (mine was 192.168.0.104)
- Change Gateway to router's IP address found under router's network settings (mine was 192.168.0.1)

Reset router - I used Router / Tools / System / Reboot / OK

Hopes this helps someone else. I've spent about 13 hours scouring the net and trying different suggestions to get my wifi to "stick". This did the trick. If you have questions, I'll try to clarify what I wrote, but I'm in no way an expert user.