why?

Discussion in 'Android Custom & Themes' started by leetbumble, Nov 5, 2009.

1. nnn

nnn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Safeguard against Verizon in the future

The key reason to get root is to be sure you can continue upgrading and maintaining the software on your device (Droid) even if Verizon decides they're not interested in publishing further OTA updates.

2. BSmith

BSmith Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think this phone targeted a lot of the "Can't leave well enough alone" crowd.

I know I'm not the only one.

3. limaxray

limaxray New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My main reason for wanting to root it is so I can install the tun driver required by OpenVPN. That, and I just don't know what it's like to own a Linux machine that I don't have root to.

For the most part though, I can live and be quite happy without having to hack this phone - unlike my WiMo phone that was completely unusable until it was hacked with a custom ROM. Man, I hate WiMo.

4. JMody

JMody Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So now we know who starts the end of the world. Mills and his Droid that becomes SkyNet........

Thanks Mills.

5. leetbumble

leetbumble Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When I found out I can install gnash after I get access to the core and the c libs... I became a rooter as well...

6. AcidBurn

AcidBurn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, the Droid has comprable hardware to the iPhone, right? So why arent there apps that are media rich and all around badass like iPhone? Is it because this is the first android device that could support such apps, and that there isn't enough app memory to facilitate like app of the iPhone? Also rooting the Droid would allow things like app2sd, which means that these bigger and meaner apps can begin to be written?

7. leetbumble

leetbumble Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The past Android devices held back the development of apps but that will change now that droid is out. Given time the Android market place will make iphone app store look like a yardsale in the middle of idaho. no one around but the apple fan boys and nothing you cant get somewhere else in better quality.

and my understanding is that the hardware in the droid is greater than that of iphone not to mention the better network.

8. attributor

attributor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Rooted or not - I find it extremely annoying that you cannot add fonts to the /system/fonts or elsewhere to be available to all apps - especially since the default fonts don't have full unicode range character support - most notably they are lacking Hebrew and Arabic.

Another unrelated issue - there is no way to disable switching to the Clock/Cradle mode when in proximity of a magnet.
    My holster has a magnet in it and in most cases it makes the droid keep the display on in the Clock mode - draining the battery in less than 6 hours.

9. gtjokester

gtjokester New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well think about it, how long has the iPhone been around? How do you think the iPhone's apps that were out when the iPhone was just reaching a year old would compare to the apps that are out today? Android has only been out about a year, and in that year there have been like 4 official updates to the OS giving more and more functionality and lots more still on the way. Weather we like it or not apps take time to develop. we just have to be patient.. the apps will come, in the mean time try out apps and give developers feedback and ideas for them to make them better.. use the email developer link in the market cause comments don't work every well for feedback for them cause they can't respond to you.. Android is about community development so join the community and help make android the envy of every iphone user out there.. with the droid we finnally got them on the hardware, now we just need to get the software developed.. But android has come a long way in a year since its release and we don't really have much more to go to put the iphone to shame.. Open source will mean development is much faster due to many more people working on it including the community of users..

10. mitchell

mitchell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very excited about some 3rd party apps that I know Verizon will not put in their Market. So I really hope rooting the Droid comes soon. I am actually surprised that its been out almost a week and it's still not been rooted.

11. gtjokester

gtjokester New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well it took about a month to root the hero so it shouldn't be that suprising.. but I think the droid is much more popular so we should get it faster then that I would guess.

12. darthdroid

darthdroid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Fonts!

Lack of fonts - i can not understand why google/motorola did not :

A - pre-installed more fonts on this device
    B - let you download and install what ever fonts you want

I am referring to fonts for languages besides english, its a big world out there, you know..

So i can't say i WANT to root my phone, but it seems that it is the only way to install more fonts :(