why?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by leetbumble, Nov 5, 2009.

1. leetbumble

leetbumble Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there really anything you could think of doing that you cant do on a standard Droid? It is not like the Iphone where you can take your little toy and go play in a different sandbox(alt carrier). I mean if you want to make it into a WWII fighter plane I could see you needing root but beyond that... anyone?

2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Until Android/Google open it up to allow apps on the SD card, I can understand why some might want to have the phone rooted with hacks like App2Sd out there.

Some others just like playing and tweaking. It is the reason that people overclock their computer too. They are always trying to get something just a little bit better.

3. Sam

Sam Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    never added a performance part to a car?

4. leetbumble

leetbumble Member

Ratings:
    +0
    But I if the point of gaining root is to install an app I am curious what apps you cant install. And in time google will bring an update to have apps on the SD card so what other wicked awesome app is there?

For the record there are plenty of interesting applications of technology that are against the licence and violate certain rules and policies of a republic we know. But are also wicked cool. So if needs be I will also be among those using MY phone as I see fit.

5. mth04

mth04 Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    FWIW I can't see kmyself rooting my device, but some will. My biggest complaint about the storm is having to look and find the best OS possible. hybrid, leak or whatever. I just want it to work from the start

6. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +79
    Yeah i doubt I will root my device unless there just is something i REALLY want that they won't put out.

7. Narsil

Narsil Silver Member

Ratings:
    +272
    Ubernewb here; I thought the whole point of open source development which is one of the huge selling points of Android is that this type of hacking wouldn't be necessary. What are you prevented from doing app/widget/program-wise that makes this necessary? :confused:

8. garrett

garrett Silver Member
    Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    rooting a device isnt for everyone but for those that want to take a good device and add more featues and usability ..... basically theres a chance to make that good device GREAT. It does come with its risks you can BRICK a device making it completely un-usable. This is why i wouldnt try and root my phone until there is a good restore program to bring the phone back to OEM.

9. Mills00013

Mills00013 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    there are quite a few reasons why I want to root my device. Im not going to go into detail but ill just lay them out:

apt-get
    wget
    sudo
    git
    yum
    ssh
    telnet
    htop
    vim

not to mention the additional applications that could be installed once you have access to the sudo command (which is technically a root access command, its sorta redundant the way i use it here)

install apache
    install nx
    install kde / gnome / flux / xfce

oh the joys of it will be endless

10. leetbumble

leetbumble Member

Ratings:
    +0

I fully support the "i paid for the device so I'll use it as i see fit" idea... but you plan to put apache on your mobile device? bold play... droid + the list above = first generation Skynet! LETS DO THIS!

11. Quickster357

Quickster357 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If the droid is rooted the only reason I would root it is to put SenseUI on there when it's updated to Eclair. Oh and not to mention cooked ROMs from Cyanogen to make things faster and slicker. ;D

12. Getaphixx

Getaphixx Member

Ratings:
    +0

QFT! :gotmyvote: