Why you shouldn't purchase the iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by cereal killer, Jan 11, 2011.

1. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    And THAT part I can completely understand from people. I don't go for the "hardware and os being drastically inferior" arguments. They don't hold up. But the point y'all make is very valid.

2. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    czerdrill, so, what you're saying is that many people, putting an iphone 4 beside a dual core android phone, would pick the single core, slower iphone???

i'm not saying you're wrong - in fact, you're probably right. but, THAT's the part i don't understand in this whole scenario.

3. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    It isn't always just about the single versus the dual core in how the phones run. It's also about the operating systems and how the devices are designed to run with them. It's very possible to have a device with lesser specs run better on a given device due to the way the software is designed to interact with it.

4. electric6

electric6 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    *sniff sniff??* I smell a yearly refresh cycle at this same time every year:

AT&T will get first dibs on the new devices in the late june/early july.

Verizon will get the same phone in CDMA form later in late january/early february.

This means no iPhone 5 in July on big red. Dissapointing yes, but remember when the verizon ipad came out? It was alot later than the at&t version. So we will get a product that is already 7-8 months old. android ftw

5. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    This is exactly what I expect will happen. That's why I don't believe the 5 will hit Verizon until the January February timeframe of next year.

6. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    that's exactly what i'm saying and what i'm sure will happen. ...no one cares about specs, except a small percentage of total wireless users. It's just a fact. You tell someone "ok here's the iphone and here's a TEGRA 2 with an NVIDIA and dual cores!!", they're going to pick the iphone. Again...not cuz it's necessarily superior but because it's an iphone.

It garners a ridiculous amount of hype (maybe unwarranted, maybe not), and that's what helps it sell. Once it is sold, people realize its an excellently made product with a polished OS, that works out of the box without the need to overclock, root, ROM, tweak or anything, and that makes them want to buy it again.

On a forum like this, where I would assume the more technically sound customers are, it's hard to imagine that someone would pick a single core over a dual core, but in the real world, no one cares and chances are they don't even know the difference. the real world is 99% of the subscribers. This forum is less than 1%....far far far less than 1%...

the iphone is a great product, that is simple to use, integrates with everything, has awesome apps, and has a crapload of hype. that's what sells. not dual core vs single core.

7. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    oh, yeah, i understand that. but at this point, the iphone 4 is pretty much set as far as specs go. and i don't see how it can even compare to a dual core for download speeds, processing speed, transitioning in/out of apps, etc. maybe i'll be proven wrong.

8. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,464
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    Because the iPhone crowd don't really think about devices like we do. They see Apple and buy it right away. Why? Because it says Apple.

Android users on the other hand in general look at the entire picture and will buy the best hardware and features be it one manufacturer or another.

That iPhone you tube video pretty much sums up the whole thing. They are set in their ways and wont listen to anything else. They want their iPhones and that's it. Doesn't matter if something else comes along that is an excellent alternative its not an iPhone.

Sent from my Droid

9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    That's nonsense. You make people who like Apple products seem like mindless sheep. I'd take Apple over Windows any day, and I'll take my Droid over the iPhone 4. In a year and a half, we will see.

10. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +4,843

CK why the thread....its gonna fall on deaf ears. People have been waiting for a verizon iphone and if apple busted out with the iphone 2g for verizon they will have a line. I say let people buy it and this will calm the crowd down. Its like when people get all excited about getting up to go to walmart on black friday. They are excited they just paid 400 for a new tv. The 3 months later after the holiday traffic walmarts rolls out a newer model with better features for about the same price and a 3 months same as cash deal.

11. RaiderNation75@q.com

Ratings:
    +0
    I have an iPod touch 32gig. It has the same OS as the iPhone 4, and is really nice. I had decided that I was going to wait for VZW to get the iPhone and that would be my next phone. Well I started checking out the Droid X. Everyone I knew who had it was totally in love with it. So I played with it a while and said, this looks like it's able to do what the iPhone will do, but a lot more. So, I got the X... I have to say that this is the most amazing phone I have ever had. Nothing I have used from apple to BB to any windows based thins or PDA will do what this phone/OS will do. I don't know if I will ever find another phone that fits me and is customizable like this one.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

12. Cmdates2991

Cmdates2991 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I won't lie, the Iphone is great device. I really hate Apple but I can't deny that their device is really well built and has a lot of great games and such that I just aren't available for my Droid which is why I carry the 4th gen Ipod touch around with me everywhere along with my Droid.

That being said I'm getting the Bionic when it launches. And the Iphone 5 whenever that comes to VZW as a 2nd device. UNITY!!!!!!!!!