Why you can't see all of your contacts...probably

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Since I answer this question about 3 times a week, I thought I'd make a thread that can maybe be stickied.

If you're having trouble with any of the following:

-seeing all of your contacts on the Droid.
-your contacts seem to have disappeared unexpectedly.
-you add contacts in gmail but they don't show up on your phone.

try this first.

Go into your contacts window and press the menu button, then, press "display Options". Select the gmail account that your contacts are being synced with, and make sure all groups have check marks.

What you are doing is turning off group filters. Filters are useful if you want to keep contacts on your phone, but not necessarily see them every time you open your contacts window. In my case, I use group filters to turn off all of my business contacts (I like to have them with me, but I don't want to scroll through them all when I'm calling my brother).

As of right now, I don't believe that groups can be assigned via your handset. You have to go online through your gmail account to assign contacts to groups.

Big Cam

Reaction score
I am going to be going from a blackberry to a droid and I'm going to get it in store so I assume they wioll transfer my contacts for me.

Once they are in my phone can I adjust their group setting? Otherwise how do you load them into your gmail contacts?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am going to be going from a blackberry to a droid and I'm going to get it in store so I assume they wioll transfer my contacts for me.

Once they are in my phone can I adjust their group setting? Otherwise how do you load them into your gmail contacts?

On your home computer do you have a gmail account? Pure and simple the easiest way to set up contacts is through a gmail account.

I don't know if the Verizon rep moved my contacts or if Gmail did it. Since all my contacts were over there anyway, gmail may have very well moved them over for me.

If you're using Outlook at home for your contacts you may want to invest an extra 40 bucks for a program that will import them for you.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Big Cam

Reaction score
I do have a gmail account but I don't have a single phone number in it. The only place I have phone numbers is in my Blackberry.

OP
MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Verizon should transfer your contacts. Once that is done, your contacts will automatically sync to your gmail account that you have set up on the Droid. From there, you'll need to go into gmail on your computer and add/change your groups. Finally, your phone will sync again, and you'll have the groups set up on your phone.

Silver Member
Reaction score
big cam - vzw transfered my wife's contacts over through a .csv file with an export/import procedure between phones. they did this before setting up her gmail account. once i helped her with her account, it "wiped" out her contacts and they had to be reimported.

i'd suggest exporting your BB contacts now and then import them into what will be your primary gmail account and sort through them online before getting the phone.

once you have the phone, you won't have to worry about all of that other junk and you'll be good to go.

Big Cam

Reaction score
big cam - vzw transfered my wife's contacts over through a .csv file with an export/import procedure between phones. they did this before setting up her gmail account. once i helped her with her account, it "wiped" out her contacts and they had to be reimported.

i'd suggest exporting your BB contacts now and then import them into what will be your primary gmail account and sort through them online before getting the phone.

once you have the phone, you won't have to worry about all of that other junk and you'll be good to go.
OK, being that I havent messed with my BB in a long time, how do i expor them?

OP
MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR

Reaction score

That's basically what I did too...except I never had a BB. I just exported from outlook and made sure they were all neat and tidy in gmail before setting up my phone.

I couldn't have asked for a smoother transition.