Why would I ever install a kernel that's not 1.25ghz?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Bennyfuld, May 3, 2010.

1. Bennyfuld

Bennyfuld New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's basically it. I just installed bugless beast, and I had the choice of different kernels. Why would I ever install a kernel that doesn't go up to the maximum cpu speed?

Thanks guys!

2. kook

kook Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have bb1. I installed the 1.1 and I must say. It doesn't need to be any faster. That ROM is SUPER fast.

3. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Simply because you might not want or need to push your hardware that hard. Also, some phones aren't stable at high speeds.

4. smokiedabong

smokiedabong Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Not all the phones get to 1.25 without problems , I have two Droids, same production date and one runs at 1.25 with no problem but the other constantly reboots at anything above 800 MHZ

5. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How about battery life?

Download "Battery Graph" and compare how quickly your battery drops at 400Mhz vs 600Mhz vs 1300Mhz. Yes, it's supposed to scale by how much you use it, but EVERYTHING wants speed. Normal web browsing will keep you pegged at max speed. Even switching homescreens rapidly will cause it to ramp up.

1.25ghz is great if you have an electrical socket handy, but if you're going to be away from a charger for 8+ hours, the higher speed isn't going to cut it unless you're not really using the phone.

I keep mine set with profiles. 800Mhz until the battery gets down to 50%, 600Mhz from there down to 20%, and 400Mhz below 20%. I figure most of the time I will be between 50 and 100 and enjoying the extra speed. When it gets below 50, I should be looking to plug in within the next few hours - 600Mhz is enough to keep it working fine without wasting power. When it gets below 20%, we're really just looking to keep it alive as long as possible. I won't be goofing off with it, and I may even turn off data syncing so that the phone will survive and be able to receive calls for another hour or two. I will deal with some sluggishness at 400Mhz for that.

6. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4
    The law of diminishing returns is seriously in effect after 1ghz.