why won't my Incredible mount to my PC?

scottzilla

Reaction score
I plug my incredible in and I get a prompt from the device to choose how to connect (Charge only, Disk drive, etc). I've read many times there is supposed to be a usb icon I can drag down but it's not there. Dragging anything down from the top results in seeing notifications. I never get a "mount" our "Do not mount" option.
My PC goes a bit nuts; windows pop up, requests to install drivers, etc. I tried to install everything the phone asks for but it won't do it. It says it can't install drivers and gives up.
Right now, I find the Droid hidden in two disk drives and can't figure out how to move files, etc. I tried loading a few itunes songs with a special program and the music file shows up in astro as MP4s that can't be played. Complete waste of time.
I have a feeling this is all connected to my device not mounting the PC.
Any advice?

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Right now, I find the Droid hidden in two disk drives and can't figure out how to move files, etc.

When in disk drive mode, you should see the internal storage and SD card mount as separate drives. Click on them to expand contents and drag and drop folders and files from the PC onto the phone/card or from the phone/card to the PC. If you're seeing both drives, it's mounting.

offroadace

Reaction score
Set your phone to 'Charge Only'. There is a problem with setting it to Disk Drive prior to connecting to a PC. It does not recognizing the Phone OS drive, at least for me it did not. It will still list both drives, but only the SD is accessible.

Which OS is your PC? W7 and Vista install automatically once connected and set to Disk Drive.
If you see error messages during driver install, select the little message window and it should give you options to investigate the problem and offer to search the internent and find the driver.

OP
S

scottzilla

Reaction score
Set your phone to 'Charge Only'. There is a problem with setting it to Disk Drive prior to connecting to a PC. It does not recognizing the Phone OS drive, at least for me it did not. It will still list both drives, but only the SD is accessible.

Which OS is your PC? W7 and Vista install automatically once connected and set to Disk Drive.
If you see error messages during driver install, select the little message window and it should give you options to investigate the problem and offer to search the internent and find the driver.

Running Windows XP. It wants to install a bunch of stuff every time I plug the Droid in. I just ignore all the pop ups and locate the device on two drives.

Knowing I have to look for the sd card file is quite helpful. I guess I can create folders in this file that will show up on my Droid?

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
By popups I'm assuming you're talking about the VZW spamware popup that directs you to their site? If so you can ditch it for good by doing this:

Dial ##7764726
Hit Call
Type Password is 000000
Hit Feature Settings
Choose CD ROM
Click Disable
Hit menu, commit modifications (it'll say no item changed)
Back out to home

If your options don't pop up in XP when you plug in, you can just go to My Computer and find the drives there. Depending on how many peripherals you have (cd-rom, dvd, external hard drive, etc) your phone's internal and SD card might start showing up around the F, G, H, I range in the pecking order of available drives.

OP
S

scottzilla

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. There is a learning curve on this device, that's for sure.
When mounted, the files/folders are not clearly noted to indicate which one is the sd card and which one is the device.
I managed to put music on my Droid with doubletwist and also by dropping mps's in to the music section. Doubletwist wasn't exactly easy to work with either.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
When mounted, the files/folders are not clearly noted to indicate which one is the sd card and which one is the device.

Very true. One trick you can do while you're getting your feet wet is use a file manager app like Astro or similar and create a new folder on your sd card titled something like a.sdcard or A_SDcard. Since the folders show up in alphabetical order, you'll quickly recognize which drive is the card when you're mounting to the PC. Don't actually have to ever put anything in the folder, just have it there as an indicator.

OP
S

scottzilla

Reaction score

Very true. One trick you can do while you're getting your feet wet is use a file manager app like Astro or similar and create a new folder on your sd card titled something like a.sdcard or A_SDcard. Since the folders show up in alphabetical order, you'll quickly recognize which drive is the card when you're mounting to the PC. Don't actually have to ever put anything in the folder, just have it there as an indicator.

That's a good idea, thanks.

fritomist

Reaction score
I find that sometimes when I connect to my laptop I don't get ANY options to charge, connect as a storage device,etc. When that happens I have to power down the phone, then turn it back on again, then connect to the usb port, and then it will give me those options.

Has anyone else experienced this?

cyberaxe

Reaction score
Missing option for mount to PC

I find that sometimes when I connect to my laptop I don't get ANY options to charge, connect as a storage device,etc. When that happens I have to power down the phone, then turn it back on again, then connect to the usb port, and then it will give me those options.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm having this same issue where the option to mount to drive to PC isn't coming up. No option for Charge only... comes up even after reboot. anyone know a solution?

Fredthewizard

Reaction score
Same problems tried shutdown/restart - worked

I'm having this same issue where the option to mount to drive to PC isn't coming up. No option for Charge only... comes up even after reboot. anyone know a solution?
Had the same problems on two computers. Kept unplugging and reconnecting. Sometimes it worked but usually not. Shut down phone with cable connected then restarted. It finally worked. The prompt screen came right up on the phone and prompted to connect as a drive. clicked the button then done and the window popped up for me to select open folder. Two CD drives appeared, one H drive and onr I drive. The I drive opened but there were no photos in the directory, which is what I was trying to access. The H drive had the files I wanted.
At this point shutting down and restarting the phone with the cable connected seems to be the right combination.