Why won't my changes in framework-res.apk load?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ChrisPappas, Aug 4, 2011.

1. ChrisPappas

ChrisPappas New Member

Working from rooted 2.3.3 (on a Droid X2, but I don't think that matters).

I have pulled /system/framework/framework-res.apk from the phone, unzipped, modified exactly one file (\res\drawable-hdpi\zz_moto_list_texture_bg.png) with photoshop, zipped back up (7-zip), zipaligned and pushed back into the /system/framework/ directory with the correct permissions. The file was not re-signed.

The phone boots without error, but the new modified file does not get loaded, the old version of the graphic remains. I have double checked and my modified /system/framework/framework-res.apk is in place. I don't know where the phone is getting the old version from.

I have tried formatting the system cache, erasing all user data via android recovery, zipped with different levels of compression for the apk file (moderate to none), same result.

I had this problem before on 2.2.2, which I thought was corrected by formatting the cache, but I guess I was wrong and it got fixed by chance.

Does anyone know what can be done to force framework-res.apk in the /system/framework/ directory to load?

Chris
  2. ChrisPappas

ChrisPappas New Member

Figured this out. There is a 5x5 graphic that colored the background texture. I had to change that too.

Chris
Search tags for this page

add picture to drawable-hdpi framework-res without error

framework res apk changes not working