Why wifi only?

Braxton

Reaction score
I've been using this site since the xoom released to try to keep up with the newest xoom optimized apps and i keep seeing people saying they only want the wifi only version.

I just don't get it.

Considering the convenience lost it's a small extra price to have the 3g/wifi model. Even if you intend to only use it at places with wifi, you lose the option of one day adding 3g and even 4g if your needs change. I need 3g because I am usually away from wifi access, but even if i spent most of my day in my office I would have the 3g version so I wouldn't be tied to a router.

Why not get the 3g/wifi version and forgo the data plan until you need it? Then you could just buy a month of data whenever you go on vacation, or take a business trip, etc..

My friends with iphones don't get 3g here because AT&T sucks in my area, and they are always hunting for wifi availability so they can surf with some speed, the last thing I would want to do with a "mobile" tablet.

ChelseaBlue

Reaction score
Ip prefer wifi over the. Network for the simple fact that Verizon's pricing for data is expensive. . There's no such thing as unlimited withem on the Zoom. 1Gb @$20 and up, and these things can devour data. Wifi is free... for the most part. 4g in a fone. And tethering on the Other hand isn't so bad.

OP
B

Braxton

Reaction score
You can use the 3g model on wifi, you don't even have to have a data plan, you can just have the 3g radio in the unit for emergencies and never use it. But when you do need it, you have it.

I use mine half on wifi and half 3g, when I'm in the office or home it automatically uses wifi.

There is an option in the settings to turn off mobile data, uncheck it and you have a wifi only unit when you need it.

drum747

Reaction score
Price. Since I have a rooted phone with a wifi hotspot I have zero need for the 3g option.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I can just tether the Wifi version to my cell phone. That way I can still use 3g in emergencies or when theres no Wifi, but I only pay once plus I would have to pay less for the Xoom itself also. Money savings all around.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
B

Braxton

Reaction score
For most people tethering is $20 or $30 more a month for their phone? Plus, like i said before, you don't have to have a data plan for your 3g xoom, you can use it as wifi only until you have a need for the 3g.

It just seems like a small price to plan for future changes.

I would rather pay more now than wish I had in 6 months.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
A lot of people on here tether because of root so if you ask the question here a lot will say because they can tether for free. We're not going to need the 3g later down the road because we can tether whenever we want so I'm pretty sure we won't regret it later down the road. Once we get a 4g phone we can just tether with that so then our tablets will have 4g speeds. 800 vs 540 is a big difference for something you'll never use.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
B

Braxton

Reaction score
IF you are comfortable with using free tethering bypassing on a rooted phone then I understand more than otherwise. But I would put money on it that 98% of the wifi only devices, (ipad, xoom, galaxy tabs) are sold to people who do not utilize free tethering from a rooted phone.

drum747

Reaction score
If you are paying 200 more up front and 240 a year for a 20 a month data plan for a total of 480 over 2 years, in 2 years i will have saved 680. That will pay for my Xoom 2.

OP
B

Braxton

Reaction score
@drum

Once again, you don't have to have a data plan. With your example, $200 more up front, and say you take 2 vacations a year x 2 years = $80.

$280 is a small price to have a 3g/wifi device over a wifi only. I would happily pay $100 per vacation to have 3g on the beach so i can keep up with news and work. The last time I rented a house it didn't have internet at all and i felt cut off from the world for a week with a useless laptop. Now i can sit at a beach bar with a beer and still keep things running at home without trying to do it on a 3.5" screen. It's really exciting.

drum747

Reaction score
Anywhere I have a signal on my phone i can surf. Most people on,this forum have rooted their phone and tether for free so we have zero need for the 3g whether we are vacationing or otherwise. The 3g makes sense if you are an average user and have not rooted your phone. At any rate regardless of your choice hopefully you are enjoyin the Xoom!

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You cant tether your phone to the Xoom via root apps like wireless tether for root users. You can however use TBH hotspot hack to tether or you can however Pair your Xoom a device like the Droid 2, X and I believe the Incredible via bluetooth and it will automatically tether whether you are rooted or not. This is only a good idea if you have an unlimited data plan on your phone.

I have tried the bluetooth pairing and it works great.

shizumie

Reaction score
I have a d2 rooted with liberty and use wireles tether, no problem. It is fast and constant. I dont use anything other than wifi (at home) and my d2 tether on the go.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App