Why why why?

Asbury Juke

Reaction score
Just got the Droid RAZR and I have no idea why. I know it's my fault for getting another Motorola product after I swore I wouldn't. Unfortunately the clerk at Verizon talked our business into it by saying although Verizon required them to carry IPhones for work, they all had Droids for their personal phones because they were more versatile and better products.

Thank heavens for these forums, otherwise I would still not be getting my home e-mails. Why does the phone have special set-ups for AOL and Yahoo mail if they don't work properly. Tried to set it up with AOL and couldn't receive e-mails, only send. So I tried to delete the account and then it wouldn't let me add it again. Took it back to Verizon and they had to do a factory reset (again, why?). They then set up AOL, only they didn't use the AOL setup through the phone, they used the generic e-mail setup. Worked fine for all of 2 days, then e-mail stopped coming through again. I had to do a manual refresh in the mail folder to get it and even then it took several minutes for it to update. Last night I downloaded K-9 and now e-mail is nearly immediate. Thanks to everyone who posted about K-9.

Unfortunately, I am sure the story will not end here.

Two things I should have known by now. 1) the clerks (because that's all they are) in the Verizon Wireless stores are mostly useless. 2) Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Motorola, you won't get me again.

Reaction score
I've been using K-9 pretty much since I got my Droid x....nothing but issues with the stock E-mail app. That's the beauty of Android though.... if you don't like something, you can replace it :) or just get rid of it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The problems with your email may not be the phone. Home ISPs are cracking down on the "standard" email ports to reduce or eliminate spam that originates on their servers, from people who run spambots off home PCs. They are trying to prevent you from using ports 110 and 25 for email, since they offer direct access to external POP3 servers as a simple data connection. As a result they often force you to use THEIR outgoing and incoming email server to carry the POP3 email from external email servers, so they can monitor the traffic, and they are also often running on other "more secure" (debatable) ports.

In some cases all you need to do is use the more secure ports, but in other cases they require you to use their own servers as a "gatekeeper" for all incoming and/or outgoing email that moves through their network.

Check with your home ISP and ask if they do POP3 forwarding to circumvent spam. My Verizon FIOS makes me use the FIOS email server to send and retrieve email for both my office email and an email account I have under a server in Europe. Once the internal configuration was done on FIOS, it was a snap to set up on the phone and now all email works fine.

Last edited: