Why We Want Root

bcrigler

Reaction score
Pretty sure you can wifi tether with the stock options. Yeah as soon as you plug your device in via USB it asks if you want to share your mobile network with your pc.

mrdroid

Reaction score
1. Run OpeNVPN to connect to work
2. Tethering

This is really what kept my from getting the Incredible. My work uses a Cisco Concentrator and without root there is no hope of connecting.... if VPN Connections gets going on rooted Incredible then I might get one.

I'd like to be able to compare the screen side by side though especially in daylight... /ot

OP
M

Mercutio

Reaction score
Pretty sure you can wifi tether with the stock options. Yeah as soon as you plug your device in via USB it asks if you want to share your mobile network with your pc.

That's USB tether.

bcrigler

Reaction score
What would be the point of wifi tethering? So their are no cables? Seems like overkill to me. You can connect to wifi hotspots if that is what you are trying to achieve?

carpecervisi

Reaction score
What would be the point of wifi tethering? So their are no cables? Seems like overkill to me. You can connect to wifi hotspots if that is what you are trying to achieve?

Boy, I hope I get this right because there's nothing I hate more than being wrong when answering a question...

The main point of WiFi tethering is to effectively make your phone a moble hotspot allowing other devices (notebook, netbook, iPad, etc) see your phone as a new network, join that SID and connect to the internet via your phone's 3g data connection.

Did I get that right?

B

b16a2smith

Very much so, why would i chase a hotspot? When I could have it every where?

Boy, I hope I get this right because there's nothing I hate more than being wrong when answering a question...

The main point of WiFi tethering is to effectively make your phone a moble hotspot allowing other devices (notebook, netbook, iPad, etc) see your phone as a new network, join that SID and connect to the internet via your phone's 3g data connection.

Did I get that right?

Spotmark

Reaction score
You don't need root to install pirated games. You just need to know the sites where to find them, and not have any bad feelings about doing it.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you root the incredible do you get free games and apps just like jailbreaking the iPhone?

there are plenty of free apps in the android market. as i said in your other post in another thread.....we do NOT condone stealing of paid apps. so stop asking!

Lupus

Reaction score
I thought there were apps out there that would allow you to tether?

I guess PDAnet doesn't do WiFi. Hmmm. . . Not sure I understand why that couldn't be done without root. But. . . I'm new to the whole droid (and smart-phone) scene so I'll take your word for it.

Hmm. . . an open portable WiFi hotspot in staff meeting with a bunch of bored executives with open laptops. . . not a good idea lol. At least not if that hotspot is my phone and I value my data plan. Well, unless you can lock down the connection with some sort of encryption option like the wifi routers have.

OP
M

Mercutio

Reaction score
The Marketplace app Barnacle allows one to password protect the Droid's WiFi network.

smacinskyjr

Reaction score
Who is working on rooting? I am in agony for my wifi tether... I havent needed to use it yet, but I just want to know its there... I dont even want to run a custom ROM.. the ROM on this is AWESOME... I just want root access...

I too like the rom as it is, but would like root for certain apps. but i cant remember, does root disable the OTA updates?

barbee

Reaction score
Who is working on rooting? I am in agony for my wifi tether... I havent needed to use it yet, but I just want to know its there... I dont even want to run a custom ROM.. the ROM on this is AWESOME... I just want root access...

I too like the rom as it is, but would like root for certain apps. but i cant remember, does root disable the OTA updates?

i dont think root access blocks OTA updates but it is certain roms or recovery imgs. I, like most people, just want root for wifi tether.