1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Why use low speeds in SetCPU!?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by chador, Apr 18, 2010.

1. chador

chador New Member

Okay, so I've done a lot of research, and noticed that most people have their phone's "Min" value set to things like 250MHz - 400MHz, and their "Max" set to things like 1Gz. Why is this? When I do this, I notice that it says the speed that is being used most of the time is the minimal value (based on the upper left-had corner).

Since the default/stock setting for the speed is 550MHz, why would someone underclock it even more to things such as 250GHz? This would make the phone even slower, correct? Why do this when you want more speed!? Shouldn't you have the minimal value set to something like 600MHz - 900MHz if you're looking for speed?

All of this is based on the assumption that you're using the "ondemand" CPU Governor, which theoretically scales up to the "Max" setting based on CPU load.

(looking for more than one opinion)

Thanks in advance for the explanations!
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

3. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I use lower speeds to try to save battery life. On the main screen u set your overall min and max. But in the profiles, u can set a specific min/max for charging, sleep/standby, when battery is below x percent. I only really use the max when on charging.

EDIT: cereal killer beat me to it. lol I asked about this thread a few days ago. I really hope SkullOne redoes this....
  4. LtKen

LtKen New Member

CPU scaling is exactly that, on demand. If the system needs more processing power, it will ramp up the clock, if it doesnt, it wont. 250MHz is both stock for the low end, any lower than this can cause problems with the phone waking up from sleep on an incoming call.

You can set your minimum to 600MHz, but all you're doing is killing your battery, because these speeds are not necessary for simple things like phone calls and having the phone sit in your pocket.

Long story short, if the system cant use all 1GHz for a process, you're just wasting juice.
  5. chador

chador New Member

Thanks, I looked over the thread.

After reading that, would these settings be reasonable for more speed than stock (550MHz/250MHz), AND if I wanted to have decent, if not better battery life:

Default: 900MHz/250MHz
    Charging: 600/250
    Sleep/Standby: 400/250
    Power < 51%: 750/250
    Power < 26%: 600/250
    Power < 11%: 400/250
  6. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Here is my settings
    1000max 250min
    Profiles
    Charging 250max 250min powersave
    sleep/standby 250max 250min Powersave
    Power<50%550max 250min Ondemand
    <30% 550max 250min powersave
    <20%^^same
    Failsafe 97 degrees F 550max 250min Ondemand

Edit: I think while it's in sleep/stand by, it should be at its lowest. I don't use my phone when it's charging, so I put it at its lowest. And I'm not positive, but I believe a stock Droid runs at a constant 550 MHz
  7. justreboot

justreboot New Member

---

That's really / really close to my settings... I also have a fallback (overheat) setting at 500/250 (over 45C)
  8. chador

chador New Member

Mine's 550/250 over 51.7C. :p

I believe you're correct, I'm just used to seeing a minimal value of 250MHz for everything. (took me a while to get my profiles to how I wanted them; perfectionist. :/ )

EDIT:
    Still no answer to my question above.
  9. jkwakopo

jkwakopo New Member

Here is mine... i just quoted since we got same mod/kernel lol

Max: 1200 Min: 250 (sometimes 550) on demand
    Profiles
    Charging n/a ( I don't use it)

sleep/standby 250max 250min ondemand ( you dont need powersave here becuase you already set min and max with same number... Powersave will keep you min setting consistently or vice/versa for performance)

Battery Profiles
    Power <30% Max 550 Min 250 Ondemand

Failsafe
    Battery > 49.0 C ( or 120.2 F) on demand...

Most stable Kernel ever used... Simply the best...

and yes I believe stock Droid runs@ 550 MHz only
    i asked same question few month ago here and i did get the answer but I'm not sure if this is correct
    Stock Droid (2.01) CPU Scaling (Non-Rooted Droid)

CyanogenMod 5.0.6.2
    Bekit's 5 slot 1.2Ghz LV
  10. jkwakopo

jkwakopo New Member

looks good to me... although you can put 250/250 sleep/standby.. you don't need your cpu to run faster than 250 when your phone is sleep/standby...
  11. christim

christim Super Moderator

I used to have mine at the lowest for charging, but unlike you I do find myself using the phone every now and then when it is plugged into the PC, charging. The first time I couldn't figure out what was going on. Everything was very sluggish and I'd FC a lot too. Then, for a while I'd just bump it up if I was using it on charge, and now I've got it to 250/1100 because it will only use 250 if that's what it needs and I don't think the higher max setting will increase the charging time noticeably. ie: if its on the charger I'm not too worried about running down the battery.

Some people have said they have issues if the sleep/standby is set too low, it takes "a bit" to wake up. I haven't had an issue with that but the best thing to do is try some suggested settings and then tweak to suit.
  12. brochaos

brochaos New Member

doesn't the droid scale on it's on when it's totally stock? i'm pretty sure it would...550mhz would be too fast and would kill the battery. same thing like the snapdragons running at 1ghz constantly, no way it would last 15 hours or whatever. most laptops and netbooks do this so i don't see why our phones wouldn't (stock again).
  13. stannenb

stannenb New Member

It does. The stock kernel comes with cpu scaling turned on.

This is standard, out of the box linux cpu scaling. You can take a look in the /sys file system (/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq). Get into that directory structure either with a terminal emulator or adb shell and just cat the files you find. You'll see what the defaults are. If you have root, you can push values into the files and change some of the values.

You just google "linux cpu scaling" and pretty much follow any guide you find.
Search tags for this page

lower is faster setcpu

setcpu low

setcpu lower is faster

setcpu lower is faster means
what is short bench setcpu lower is faster
why use a lower sfm speed