Why use another text app?

davidwilp

Reaction score
Sorry if this seems dumb but I was curious as to why people use other keyboard apps aside from what comes with their phone? I have read where people can't live without Handycent and others.

I am a new user to the Thunderbolt and to me you push text, type and send. I guess ignorance is bliss. Please enlighten me.
Thanks

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I'm like that too. I've tried Handcent and didnt like it. Its all personal preference though. The big thing with using Handcent is that you can customize it where you cant with the stock text app.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't see a single reason for using another text app then the stock one. Nothing against the other ones, I just don't feel they are necessary.

Djanvk

Reaction score
I agree here to, I've tried Handcent and really saw no advantage versus the stock one except maybe customization.

Jeyman

Reaction score
I switch to it a few times a year when I want to change the background, December I had my phone fully tricked out with snow in every app I could lol Even DLed app icons. Though I do tend to use the stock text app the most.

As for keyboard... That can be a big deal. I like swifts layout. It seems to do better word predictions for me as well. More you use it the better it gets too.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I just like my phone themed and looking nice and i like it to match easily i also like the custom leds and all so i used handcent for a long time however now i just use a modded stock one which includes the ability to switch the leds and some other small things

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
My main reason for changing to Handcent was the popup box with the text in which I could directly reply.

I eventually quit using that, but I kept using Handcent.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I just use sms pop up for that with the stock one

MrWilliams

Reaction score
I switched to handcent because only phone numbers would show in the stock app when adding a contact. Some of my contacts have 3 or 4 numbers and I don't know which is which. Handcent lists "mobile" or "home". The customization is nice too.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

droid doctor

Reaction score
I use go sms it allows for more options and you can change the way it looks.

sent from my squidroid 2

chefjellynow

Reaction score
As gflam pointed out, alot of us have themes running and the customization on handsent allows you to match up pretty closely to the theme in colors.
Thats why many of us use it. Plus the LED assignments and colors make it usefull in identifying people

stonecaster

Reaction score
The only reason I use Handcent is so I can lock a message so that when I empty or delete threads I wont lose the locked messages. I haven't been able to find how to do that with the stock app on my Droid2

(Sent from my Droid2 while driving)