Why Upgrade from Liberty 2.1 to Liberty Gingerbread?

jasadell

Reaction score
I'm currently running Liberty 2.1 and I'm very happy with it. However, I'm very curious about Liberty Gingerbread. I did try "stock" Gingerbread, and I also tried the "rooted" Gingerbread, and I was not happy with the stability and performance of either one. Is there any compelling reason for me to give Liberty Gingerbread a try? I absolutely require a fully-functioning WiFi tether. Working WiFi tether Access Control would be a plus (I can't make it work in 2.1, but I think it's a "DX thing"). I would also like a working Bootstrap Recovery (which the other Gingerbreads did NOT offer). Other than that I just want a fast and stable ROM. Can I get some personal testimony on good success and overall satisfaction (or lack thereof) from folks who started with Liberty 2.1 and are now running Liberty Gingerbread? Thanks ~ JD

Reaction score
You're going to have to try it for yourself. Since going over to LGB, my phone is faster and the battery seems to last longer. A huge selling point for me was that LGB is HDMI-capable, while 2.0.1 and earlier versions of Liberty were not.

As for the wireless tether, there are two ways to get it to work. Either download an alpha version of Wireless Tether 3.0 from Google Code and change the DNS servers (I cannot confirm this works), or install the TBH hack, which TBH themselves recommend against using (and it's now hard to find online.) If you use Droid 2 Bootstrap (google the apk), the bootstrap recovery in GB works great.

Like I said, you'd have to try it for yourself. If you want, you can make a Nandroid backup of your current setup and just restore it if you don't like LGB. You have to SBF back to stock FroYo for both (installing LGB and going back to 2.0.1.)

If you're that "on the fence" about it, you might want to wait for LGB 1.0. Many of the performance/stability issues you mentioned might be alleviated by an actual public release.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just switch. Its night and day, believe me. I was in your position a month ago. GB is so much better than froyo. You'll just have to experience it for yourself.

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8-DroidForums addict

Rezael

Reaction score
If you tether I don't recommend going to gb. Because there is tracking software built into it. The wifi hack tbh put out does work but they themselves don't recommend using it. Until there is way to tether on GB without consequence I wont put myself at risk as they give me a heavy discount as it stands...You can take a chance.....Otherwise every other thing about gb is better then froyo.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
If you tether I don't recommend going to gb. Because there is tracking software built into it.

Got any evidence to back that up? A reference? A link? I'd like to see something that says this for myself, because as far as I know "they have ways of finding out" is about as far as it goes right now.

That wouldn't make any sense anyway. They don't have to build tracking software into the phone's OS to figure out that you're tethering. A little packet sniffing does more than enough - If you think the traffic coming from your PC can be masked through the phone well enough for the middle-man (VZW in this case) not to be able to find out about it, you're way off. The TBH hack was removed because it killed the bandwidth throttle, thereby enabling people to download things at ridiculous speeds, lighting themselves up like a Christmas tree on VZW's radar when their data usage skyrocketed unrealistically.

If Verizon wanted to go after free tetherers, they have all the means necessary to do so, no matter what ROM, Kernel, Android flavor, etc. you're using, without going so far as to include monitoring software in your phone. It seems unlikely that they'd go after everyone who is tethering, because they'd basically alienate their most faithful users. It does make sense that they would go after abusers (as they have already) but for someone who wants to tether so they can check their email on the road, I doubt they really care. Obviously I could be proven wrong here in the future. I would like to see some actual evidence that VZW put tracking software in GB. Otherwise I'm raisin' the flag on that one.

berto1014

Reaction score
I love GB. It is a lot faster, and it lasts a heck of a lot longer than 2.0.1 on battery life. As for tethering I have that working. Someone posted above that you need to get the beta 3.0 version. Then just change the primary DNS to 4.2.2.2 and the secondary DNS to 4.2.2.1. A side note, it rarely works with the Access Control on. I don't use it. Works great.

Also not to mention you will get far more support now with GB than with Froyo just because its what Jrummy is working on.

Rezael

Reaction score
When I first tried to tether on gb I was taken to a Verizon website selling me their tether package and forcing all my browsing there. That's what I was referencing as the software tracks when you try to tether and loads the internal program.

And don't say using Verizons tether service for free is without any risk because that would be a foolish statement.

OP
jasadell

jasadell

Reaction score
OK I did it - It Rocks

I decided to make take the plunge and do it. It's much better all around. I would advise to anyone considering it to be familiar with how to SBF. Once that process is learned, the concerns are minimal since you can always SBF back to stock, etc. BTW, for the record "a fully-functioning WiFi tether" does not necessarily mean "a free WiFi tether." I don't mind paying Verizon for the service. If they require it then I'll have to pay for it. I just wanted a working hotspot. I'll stay out of the politics of whether it should be free or not.

However, one thing I still cannot seem to get working is the Access Control in the Google WiFi Tether for Root Users. It's really the only reason (for me) to use this rather than the stock WiFi Hotspot. I've dug around Google and various Droid X-spefic forums, and it seems that this is an option that needs to be enabled/compiled in the kernel (or so I read). If this is truly the case, does anyone know if JRummy is planning to enable this in future releases of the Liberty-GB ROM?

Thanks,
JD

thepsyntyst

Reaction score
If you tether I don't recommend going to gb. Because there is tracking software built into it.

Got any evidence to back that up? A reference? A link? I'd like to see something that says this for myself, because as far as I know "they have ways of finding out" is about as far as it goes right now.

That wouldn't make any sense anyway. They don't have to build tracking software into the phone's OS to figure out that you're tethering. A little packet sniffing does more than enough - If you think the traffic coming from your PC can be masked through the phone well enough for the middle-man (VZW in this case) not to be able to find out about it, you're way off. The TBH hack was removed because it killed the bandwidth throttle, thereby enabling people to download things at ridiculous speeds, lighting themselves up like a Christmas tree on VZW's radar when their data usage skyrocketed unrealistically.

If Verizon wanted to go after free tetherers, they have all the means necessary to do so, no matter what ROM, Kernel, Android flavor, etc. you're using, without going so far as to include monitoring software in your phone. It seems unlikely that they'd go after everyone who is tethering, because they'd basically alienate their most faithful users. It does make sense that they would go after abusers (as they have already) but for someone who wants to tether so they can check their email on the road, I doubt they really care. Obviously I could be proven wrong here in the future. I would like to see some actual evidence that VZW put tracking software in GB. Otherwise I'm raisin' the flag on that one.

Couldn't have said it better

bodean

Reaction score
When I first tried to tether on gb I was taken to a Verizon website selling me their tether package and forcing all my browsing there. That's what I was referencing as the software tracks when you try to tether and loads the internal program.

And don't say using Verizons tether service for free is without any risk because that would be a foolish statement.

If my friend is on liberty froyo, does he install this the v8 of LGB?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
No. V0.8 is gingerbread. Don't flash a gb rom with a froyo rom. Bad news will happen.
Do some more reading maybe
Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.8