Why the X?

lemodular

Reaction score
Why did you choose the X? How is it better than the Droid Pro (besides the obvious physical features)?

Anyone switched to the X from a phone with physical keyboard?

ZeRo1NF

Reaction score
To be honest i am not sure myself. I just went to the verizon store to upgrade my phone. There were a lot of cool phones but the moment i saw the X i just knew that its the one i want. It was just a feeling that i got.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

xliderider

Reaction score
Other than the keyboard and the global capabilities, the X is much better in every way than the Pro.

I came from a Blackberry Curve 8330, to a Droid, then a Fascinate, before settling in with the X. I "thought" I needed a physical keyboard when I bought the Droid, but after a while, I found myself not using the pull out keyboard at all. I ended up wishing I had a touchscreen only device because the slide out keyboard made the device thicker and heavier than it needed to be IMO.

Beka27

Reaction score
My brother got the X on launch day, so I was able to play with his phone a little bit to actually get a feel for it, better than you can playing with it in the store. I came from a feature phone with physical keyboard and I thought I needed a physical keyboard. So I waited and when the D2 came out, I went a looked at that, but it seemed... lacking after having played around with the X. So we thought about it, and thought about it, and then finally decided to pull the trigger on the X. I was very interested in the big screen. It makes browsing and texting and playing games much more comfortable and easier on the eyes. It took me a week or so to get used to the touchscreen, but now I feel I type just as fast (if not faster!) than on the physical keyboard. Now that I've been reading on forums about rooting, it also seems like there are more options for the X.

R

RETG

My personal BB Tour was replaced by my current X. I honestly believe the mechanical (or physical) keyboard is very over rated. I have sat here with my work Tour and my X and compared typing on both keyboards and find they are very similar. One you press a hard key, one you press a spot on a touch screen, they both do the same, and I still hit the incorrect keys with both keyboards.:)

Before switching, I did a ton of research by talking with people who had other models such as the Incredible, the Fascinate, the original Droid, and with this knowledge, and the visits to the not so local Verizon store, I settle on the X and still consider the choice the correct one for me.

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
I went from a feature phone with a keyboard to the droid incredible. I had the Incredible for 26 days when the X was released. I tried the X in the store but couldn't pull the trigger and switch. Being new to smart phones/ android. I really liked the way the HTC UI felt better than the Moto.

After about 5 months and having one bad Dinc after another, they asked my to plz try the X - the D2 or the Samsung. I went in the store and played with all 3, at this time knowing I could root, get launcher pro, a number of things to enhance them all.

So my decision came down to do I need a physical keyboard. And I didn't feel like I did, I liked the KB I bought from the market.
Then I looked at the size. They all fit in my wallet (important to me) so then it was is the X too big for me (I'm 5'1" with little hands)
Next was camera. 8.0 vs 5.0 and the HDMI. honestly this didn't matter to me because I love my camera and my camcorder and if I was planning on filming or taking pics I would use those not my phone.
Last as odd as it sounds the button to wake the phone up. on the samsung its on the right side and the Motos are on the top (same as the dinc and my previous phones) I just went with the comfort of what I was use to.

X won out over the D2 for the size factor and the camera is a plus for those unforeseen picture ops.

xliderider

Reaction score
Plus, the X is the only one of the previously mentioned phones in the above post that you can wake up from standby by pressing the Home hard key, in addition to the standb/power key. ;)

MrKleen

Reaction score
I came from two phones that had keyboards, the D1 and D2... now I have the X. My wife took over my D2.

Both of those phones were fine but I found I never used the keyboards.

Once you get used to the size of the X you will not go back.

xmguy

Reaction score
I had the droid 2. Loved the kb. But once I got the x I found out since the x has a large screen typing is much easier.

Sent from XMGUY's Droid X.

carguy

Reaction score
Why did you choose the X? How is it better than the Droid Pro (besides the obvious physical features)?

Anyone switched to the X from a phone with physical keyboard?
The X is my first smart phone. Switched from ATT because I wanted the Android OS over Apple.

I was looking at the D2 as well as the X, I didn't want/need a physical keyboard and the price wasn't that much different so I opted for the X. Haven't been able to put it down since I got it last week dancedroid

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Other than the keyboard and the global capabilities, the X is much better in every way than the Pro.

Having a keyboard places the Pro behind the X IMHO...

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I honestly thought naming it "X" was a little outdated and tacky; to me it plays on the whole "XTREME!/TURBO!/ULTRA!" theme, which again, is tacky and outdated, like an older parent trying to hang with the young kids, using obsolete urban verbage.

Before the phone was released I'd really hoped they'd give it a cooler name, going off the whole Star Wars theme, like the Drone or The Interrogator. Just would have been a little more original.

Rocko

Reaction score
I was a die hard physical keyboard lover. Voyager, Env3, Env2. After 1 hour with the X I have not even thought about a keyboard. The keyboard adds so much bulk to phones.

epsilonbass

Reaction score
Honestly, the only reason I could see getting a Droid Pro is working for a professional company and they give me one as a company phone. I think the little portrait keyboards have always been a nightmare, but that's also because the surface area of my finger tip takes up at least 4 to 6 of those keys. I would say it's optimized for business, but really it's more like it's crippled for business, with looking at the vzw listing, it only has a 5 mp camera, and 2 gig internal, 2 gig micro sd card.

No thanks, I'll keep my X.