Why the physical keys?

Reaction score
I actually *LIKE* the physical buttons on my X. Just something about them.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Design choice? I dont think there's a great answer aside from "that's what Moto decided to do".

Hermes

Reaction score
The physical home keys is the only thing I don't like about my DX so far. They're just something to break or get loose. I would have preferred if they were like the ones on my Droid 1.

PhilD

Reaction score
i mostly like them. i used to get A LOT of accidental button presses on my Droid 1, very annoying. never happens on my X.

cpjr

Reaction score
Coming from the Droid 1 and Incredible....I HATE them. Only design bit I cant stand about the X.

Daali

Reaction score
I am really shocked that someone hadn't created a soft key overlay yet. I would gladly support that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

xliderider

Reaction score
I didn't like the physical Home keys at first, but I like them now. No accidental button presses now, as mentioned earlier, but most of all, I like the fact that the Home button can be used to wake up the X instead of the Power/Standby key at the top. Much easier to get to with one hand.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Supposedly the design changes to the keypad and physical keys for the d2 came from user feedback on the d1. Just something I read on phonescoop when reviewing before I got my first droid

wified from a monolith using a slider

sandiegosteve

Reaction score
Big fan of the physical keys. I am coming from a BB Storm... touch to feel first, and then press. I just wish I could use the physical keys to illuminate the screen to see notifications (old blackberry habit).

My wife has the Incredible and I feel like I hit the wrong key occasionally.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Question people why a touch screen phone and physical home keys should of been soft keys like the d2?

To reduce accidental activation of the screen. Physical buttons take more effort to activate.

Sent from my DROIDX

dainbramaged

Reaction score
I like not having to hit the power button at the top of the 4.3" screen, just hitting the home button right there. I think the screen size may have been a factor, seeing as it does take more effort to hit the DX power button than the D2. It also feels like my iPod Touch. Say what you will, it had a very intuitive unlock pattern, which is very similar to what the DX has achieved with the physical buttons.