Why the GS2 is not here- Straight from the horse's mouth

bigdad63

Reaction score
Now we have a definitive answer as to what, or should I say who, the problem is with the delay in the GS2 coming to the US. This video is from www.wirelessandmobilenews.com via www.canadianreviewer.com. It is the launch event for the GS2 in CANADA!! It's only a couple of minutes, but if you don't want to watch the whole thing, watch about 30 seconds starting around 2:20. The Samsung exec says 2 interesting things: 1. He reads blogs and 2. That the GS2 didn't hit the US 1st because the US carriers didn't work with Samsung to make it happen. This arrogant jackass mentality by our US executives is a disservice to customers, and might explain why we get late-arriving afterthought 2nd rate smartphones.
So here's to you, stupid US phone executives, for ignorantly hurting your bottom line and making your consumers angry, miserable and frustrated.

[video=youtube;WcRfjwXN2qU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcRfjwXN2qU&feature=player_embedded]‪Galaxy S II 4G Android launch‬‏ - YouTube[/video]

PS-sorry if this was already posted here somewhere. I will not be offended if it is taken down. I feel better just getting this off of my chest.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Did you expect anything different? Its in the best interest of the carriers to delay the release of these types of phones.

What I mean is, how many Droid x2, TB, D3, revolutions, Inc 2...... would Verizon have sold if they released the SGS2? My guess is next to zero. By delaying the SGS2 verzion is able to sell these other phones and then get people to but the SGS2 out of contract when it is released.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Such a shame.. I was originally hoping for this to replace my OG Droid but I just couldn't wait any longer. Then, the Droid 3 came out and I'm very happy with it. But still, the one phone I was gonna believe I'd be fine losing my physical keyboard with still isn't here due to US execs being idiots.

I guess it could be due to the Apple lawsuit and not wanting to take risks on it?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
bigdad63

bigdad63

Reaction score
Did you expect anything different? Its in the best interest of the carriers to delay the release of these types of phones.

What I mean is, how many Droid x2, TB, D3, revolutions, Inc 2...... would Verizon have sold if they released the SGS2? My guess is next to zero. By delaying the SGS2 verzion is able to sell these other phones and then get people to but the SGS2 out of contract when it is released.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

I guess then the more people that hold out and hold on to their money the better. That way we're not lining their fat pockets twice.

Last edited:
OP
bigdad63

bigdad63

Reaction score
Such a shame.. I was originally hoping for this to replace my OG Droid but I just couldn't wait any longer. Then, the Droid 3 came out and I'm very happy with it. But still, the one phone I was gonna believe I'd be fine losing my physical keyboard with still isn't here due to US execs being idiots.

I guess it could be due to the Apple lawsuit and not wanting to take risks on it?

I played with the D3 for a while and was impressed. My vzw source believes my area will have 4G in the beginning of 2012, so that was the only thing stopping me from getting it (ok, that and the fact that the Bionic might get here within a month). The phone is fast and that keyboard is straight up fantastic!

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I played with the D3 for a while and was impressed. My vzw source believes my area will have 4G in the beginning of 2012, so that was the only thing stopping me from getting it (ok, that and the fact that the Bionic might get here within a month). The phone is fast and that keyboard is straight up fantastic!
Agreed. Main reason why I just ended up getting it. I couldn't wait anymore.. I too was also considering the Bionic but the date keeps changing. In early June, I heard early July. Mid June I heard mid July. Late June and early July-mid July I'm hearing early August. And NOW people are saying late August or early September.
I asked a VZW rep and he was like, "Droid Bionic? You mean Charge? No, that's already out, sir.". So I explained to him further what I had meant, and he didn't know what I was talking about. Or acted that way anyway.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Ahhh, only three posts before the possibility of Apple being the problem. That might be a new record.

Not everything bad happening in Android has to do with Apple. Please, please understand that.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, only three posts before the possibility of Apple being the problem. That might be a new record.

Not everything bad happening in Android has to do with Apple. Please, please understand that.
Well yeah, that should obviously be true with Android as a whole. But if you're referring to my post, I mean about this phone specifically. Since.. Apple is/was suing them? I would think that is a pretty understandable reason if Apple were to win(if they didn't already)?

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
There are other factors with the slow release of phones right now beyond the Apple issue. There is still an interruption in component availability due to the issues with the nuclear and earthquake situation in Japan.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are other factors with the slow release of phones right now beyond the Apple issue. There is still an interruption in component availability due to the issues with the nuclear and earthquake situation in Japan.
And I completely agree. But still, who's to say? To me, big companies aren't going to be exactly to eager to sign something getting sued. But hey, could be wrong. I mean, there's also say in this phone not being here deliberately right away to increase sales for phone such as the Droid 3 and other newer phones so they don't lose money, considering a lot of people thing the SS2 is gonna sell so good.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
That's possible. But these types of lawsuits go on much more than people think. The Apple lawsuits are getting more press because it is the media target for the day. These go on all the time. It may have some bearing on the release, but I suspect it was more like someone above said, that the carriers are trying to pace out the releases so there isn't a glut on the market. That would be the most viable to me.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's possible. But these types of lawsuits go on much more than people think. The Apple lawsuits are getting more press because it is the media target for the day. These go on all the time. It may have some bearing on the release, but I suspect it was more like someone above said, that the carriers are trying to pace out the releases so there isn't a glut on the market. That would be the most viable to me.
Ahh. That makes perfect sense. I did not know that, my bad. I can see why it gets annoying people always bringing up Apple then.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Ahh. That makes perfect sense. I did not know that, my bad. I can see why it gets annoying people always bringing up Apple then.

Ah it's okay, you were actually decent with your post. It's the extreme posts against Apple that drive me nuts.

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
The story of the SII's delay gets more Fascinating every week. This Canadian exec is leveling quite a heinous Charge at U.S. carriers. Not sure about you all, but I'm gonna stick it out and wait for the SII; it really is a Milestone for smartphones as far as specs go. A Super AMOLED+ screen Infused with the cutting edge Exynos processor and housing 1 GB of memory Within... the phone is Incredible enough for me to wait as late as Christmas before Attaining a new phone. I'm pretty sure its sales figures will still Thrive, but by then, I X-pect it might compete with the Nexus Prime for my attention.

...Thunderbolt Photon Sensation.

OP
bigdad63

bigdad63

Reaction score
The story of the SII's delay gets more Fascinating every week. This Canadian exec is leveling quite a heinous Charge at U.S. carriers. Not sure about you all, but I'm gonna stick it out and wait for the SII; it really is a Milestone for smartphones as far as specs go. A Super AMOLED+ screen Infused with the cutting edge Exynos processor and housing 1 GB of memory Within... the phone is Incredible enough for me to wait as late as Christmas before Attaining a new phone. I'm pretty sure its sales figures will still Thrive, but by then, I X-pect it might compete with the Nexus Prime for my attention.

...Thunderbolt Photon Sensation.

Samsung seems to have just nailed it with this phone. I've never seen sweeter specs or reviews. If the Bionic isn't really special, and they can't get the GS2 here, it may be time to leave Verizon.