Why the delay from samsung?

BurtonSnol3order

Reaction score
I was just curious what the cause of delay was for froyo on the Galaxy S phones was from. I am up for a new phone at the end of the month and I like what the SF brings to the table, but the 2+ month delay from Samsung to release a working froyo rom/kernel for these phones is a bit crazy in my view. I love the ability to root and customize without locked bootloaders so this is about the only option on verizon. Is this delay typical of samsung or is this just something with the galaxy s phones.

The big question is... will samsung be more expedient with the release of Gingerbread or whatever is the next update?
Part of rooting a phone is having the ability to jump to the latest version without having to wait for verizon to screw around with it and send it out to our phones.

Any thoughts/opinions on the matter are greatly appreciated.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Touchwiz is probably holding them back, its easier to get a new version of Android running stock.

OP
B

BurtonSnol3order

Reaction score
Touchwiz is probably holding them back, its easier to get a new version of Android running stock.

Thanks, I guess I just figured that they'd find a way to get this working by now... the source was released back in June. All this waiting makes me want to just go and pick up a D1 and be done with it. The manufacturers crap with locking phones (D2, DX, G2) is getting a bit ridiculous.

And, I'm guessing that this means that for every update we'll have to be waiting 3-4 months while Samsung gets off their butts and finally figures out how to make their crappy TW work?

bomber889

Reaction score
It actually was the wrong source that was released.. lol. Also, I would not rely on OTA updates from Verizon or Samsung, but rather on the devs.

OP
B

BurtonSnol3order

Reaction score
It actually was the wrong source that was released.. lol. Also, I would not rely on OTA updates from Verizon or Samsung, but rather on the devs.

I know we dont have to wait for Verizon, but I was under the impression that we had to wait for Samsung to release the source for froyo. Can the devs reverse engineer froyo to run on the fascinate without the code from Samsung?

Sorry for all the questions, just new to the whole waiting thing. Everything I've been following with android had been D1 related and as we all know it can run stock android.

ohfire

Reaction score

I know we dont have to wait for Verizon, but I was under the impression that we had to wait for Samsung to release the source for froyo. Can the devs reverse engineer froyo to run on the fascinate without the code from Samsung?

Sorry for all the questions, just new to the whole waiting thing. Everything I've been following with android had been D1 related and as we all know it can run stock android.

Personally, I think you will be disappointed if you don't get the fascinate. I had the D1 and D2, my daughter and son-in-law have the X. The vivid colors on the Samsung outshine theirs and the battery life I get from this phone is outstanding. I was rooted and was changing roms almost daily. I would spend all night modifying my phone. This phone has me settled and I really do not miss the FROYO, I loaded Launcher pro and downloaded google maps and I am really enjoying this phone. Don't let impatience spoil things for you.

Just my thoughts

dricacho

Reaction score
Rooted my Fascinate, took me 5 minutes. Plus the Voodoo lagfix (took me another 5 minutes or so) and my phone is screaming fast, faster than before!

When 2.2 finally arrives (whenever that's gonna be), both can be undone just as quickly in order for the update to apply towards the phone w/o any issues. Then re-root and lagfix. :D

OP
B

BurtonSnol3order

Reaction score
Personally, I think you will be disappointed if you don't get the fascinate. I had the D1 and D2, my daughter and son-in-law have the X. The vivid colors on the Samsung outshine theirs and the battery life I get from this phone is outstanding. I was rooted and was changing roms almost daily. I would spend all night modifying my phone. This phone has me settled and I really do not miss the FROYO, I loaded Launcher pro and downloaded google maps and I am really enjoying this phone. Don't let impatience spoil things for you.

Just my thoughts

Well thanks. I'm 90% sure I'll end up with the fascinate. The screen and battery are the big pluses for me. It just bugs me that Verizon has no phones that run stock android (after the D1). I just have in the back of my mind that as soon as I pick up the SF, verizon will release the incredible HD or the Nexus one that have been rumored for months. Thanks for the update. Hopefully the devs figure out the ins and outs of the SF and can cook up a rom fairly quickly when gingerbread gets released.