Why such a lack in theme choices?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by BushBandit, Aug 21, 2010.

1. BushBandit

BushBandit New Member

Don't post here much, mainly just read, but I was just curious why there seem to be very few themes for 4.7 or SS in general..... I dont see why anyone would want to use any other rom when Chevy's run smooth and he makes evertthing so simple.

I like and use the blue theme, but had to put Lithium mod on the womans phone so she could have a purple theme....... And I dont much like it.

Hope I dont sound like an ass, especially since I dont contribute anything........ Maybe I will try to learn a little
  2. bayjing

bayjing New Member

Seconded...LOL
    I'm kinda the same as him! :)

more themes=yes please, SS 4.7 is the SH*T!
    mad props chevy
  3. hellboar

hellboar New Member

since this post is here, I read your Q&A on droid-life and you were asking why people use other dev's ROMs and not, SS well I hope this doesn't turn into a flame fest. As OP stated, the lack of themes here can be attributed to this somewhat. Roms with tons of themes and screenshots are kind of like self advertising.
  4. shoot2scre

shoot2scre New Member

I'm really dying for Alternative Black. I love the simplicity of the theme.
  5. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Here is a good pointer if you are wishing to learn

A theme is basically editing to some .xml files and alot of .png changes, I have noticed with SS 4.7 if you were to "Port" a theme over from another source the .xml files do not need to be changed...Chevy has made his ROM very easy to theme yourself

I have a theme (collection of .png files) I take with me from ROM to ROM, it took me one day to get my theme onto SS 4.7

Changes need to be made in

framework-res.apk
    phone.apk
    contacts.apk
    browser.apk

everything else in SS is a nice dark smoked esque look and can go with almost anything

The framework will target all icons you see in the notification bar the notification bar itself, the popup boxes, basically all of the things you see without launching an app, the lock screen, the pull down...(there are over 500 .png files in the framework)

This is not as difficult as it might seem...if you are really interested grab "Root Explorer" from the market and navigate to system/framework and long press the framework-res.apk and paste it on your SD card then get it to your computer

Rename it framework-res.zip and open it up go to res/drawable-hdpi and you will see all the images that a "Theme" consists of (you would have to pull and edit some other .apk files to complete the entire theme process as stated above)

Find a theme you would like to port and contact the creator and ask if you can port it over for personal use...it is almost as easy as opening the framework-res.apk/res/drawable-hdpi of SS4.7 and the same folder on the theme you would like to port over, clicking and dragging , and then putting everything back where it belongs.

If you are interested in digging deeper into the world of theming I would be glad to answer any questions you might have
  6. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT New Member

The only themes I've liked are the original Adamz smoked glass and the gala s theme, both of which nobody has brought to SS. I use the stock theme, it has the highest readability.
  7. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

My framework is derived directly from one of AdamZ old ROM's with the blue edgework, resulting in Smoked Glass SS 4.7

I might talk with Chevy and see if he minds if I release a SG theme for his ROM
  8. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT New Member

I don't think chevy will mind, if it is anything like Adamz original stuff I would appreciate it.
  9. sranger

sranger New Member

Sounds nice. Do you have any screen shots?
  10. Southpaw-Killa

Southpaw-Killa New Member

I know Chevy said he was partial to ADW launcher. That app has some themes available to it. I switch from Gala S to Droix X to Alternate all the time, but I do wish those that did themes would start putting them up thru something like ADW so you would easily be able to change themes no matter what rom you are partial too.
  11. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I sent a p.m. so we will see, I know I would appreciate being asked ;) most of the images are taken right out of AdamZ SG plus some modified.png's of my own
    I can post some up later tonight
  12. BushBandit

BushBandit New Member

Thanks tparker for the starter tip, I may try to dig into it next week.
  13. virtueoftheabsurd

virtueoftheabsurd New Member

I would love to see rEVOlution for SS. I love that theme.

I realize you can all tell me "well, you should theme it!" But I'm lazy. Anyone else want to take up the mantle?
  14. Asterisk

Asterisk New Member

One theme that I would love to see for SS is a Droid X theme. I don't know if it is just me or not but I really like the way it looks.
  15. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Basically either the themer themselves or an industrious user with the right knowhow has to port the theme. Post in your favorite theme asking for a SS port is probably the best way to get results.
  16. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Alright, I have talked with Chevy and he already had something up his sleeve as far as theming is concerned, I am going to do some Beta testing and hopefully the Simply Stunning theming process will be simplified and reliable, real soon.....then I will start porting over some themes dancedroid

Here is my current SS theme
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Inverted Market can be found here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/woodyman/70351-issues-theming-vending-apk.html thanks to thebowers

The http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/62702-metamorph-themes-swype.html here, thanks to sneaky_z

The http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/73103-dark-twitter-metamorph.html here, thanks to me

and http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-who-dont-care-transformer-battery-icons.html thanks to me
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  17. moorman

moorman New Member

I digg it, nicely done.
  18. TedWilliams

TedWilliams New Member

Born in Cambridge, MA but now live in Portland, OR
    Looks stellar. I'm a huge fan of the all black or all dark look. Can't wait til this is ported!
  19. Wake N Bake

Wake N Bake New Member

Nice work tparker, how long does it typically take for themes get ported to a new rom?
  20. mountaineerndixie

mountaineerndixie New Member

Hey t...what are the icons on either side of your mail and gmail icons?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk