why so much hating on the bionic lately??

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
My Bionic is so nice I'm seriously thinking about buying a new one on eBay , for when the time comes that this one eventually dies and I have a backup to carry on with for years to come! With VZW ' s new plans , paying full price for even used phones is gonna suck later on ! Ill only upgrade and loose my unlimited when some kinda StarWars sh.. comes out!!! LOL!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
the coolest things attract the most haters. Thee bionic is awesome so the amount of haters is ridiculous

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I really do have a theory about all the Bionic hate, but the RAZR owners are going to chastise me for even suggesting it might be true - still, here's my theory.

You'll notice that alot of the "hate" comes from ex-Bionic owners who gave up their Bionic for a RAZR (or GNex for that matter). I sincerely believe that alot of the haters are those who "upgraded" expecting a device that was "blow me out of the water" better. And when they got a device that was "the same basic thing" they got mad - and had to hate on the Bionic to defend their own questionable decision in their own minds. Surprisingly, buyers remorse causes people to make strange claims.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree however I'm sure the gnex has a pentile as well...right? I thought it did anyway..

Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2

It does, but it doesn't use the same screen technology. Pentile is a name for the subpixel arrangement, and Samsung actually owns the patent. It's hard to explain it, so here's the Wiki:

PenTile matrix family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Bionic uses a RGBW Pentile matrix, which is specific to LCD displays. The GNex's display is a RGBG AMOLED display, as is the RAZR's. The extra subpixel on the Bionic is white, hence RGBW (Red, Green, Blue, White) and its only function is to allow more backlight to shine through. It creates a brighter image at a given power level, or with less power can provide the same brightness as a traditional LCD. It is this extra brightness that makes it so readable outdoors. The following quote explains why Pentile displays appear more pixelated, although I recommend reading the entire entry to understand the technology.

The developers of PenTile displays use this VESA criterion for contrast of line pairs to calculate the resolutions claimed.[SUP][20][/SUP] However, for the same resolution and size the PenTile screen can appear grainy, pixelated, speckled, with blurred text on some saturated colors and backgrounds when compared to RGB stripe color.[SUP][21][/SUP] This effect is understood to be caused by the restriction of the number of subpixels that may participate in the image reconstruction when the color is fully saturated. In the RGBW case, this is caused as the W subpixel will not be available in order to maintain the saturated color. In the RGBG case, this will occur when the color is saturated red, as the fully populated (one green per pixel) will not be available. For all other cases, text and especially full color images are fully reconstructed.[SUP][22][/SUP]

In short, it is like every other display technology on the market. It has its advantages and disadvantages. It all depends on the user whether the pros outweigh the cons.

EDIT: More interesting PenTile information: PenTile Blog

Last edited:

deduct

Reaction score
Dave12308 said:
My biggest fear is that no other phone will come out using the same screen technology (due to the criticism) and i'll never again be able to use my phone outdoors effectively.

People, it's NOT pixelation you're seeing, it's simply the fact that the Pentile LCD display LOOKS different than a traditional LCD. It just takes some getting used to. It's not fair to compare a qHD screen to a 720p screen like on the GNex or Rezound, that's like comparing an "old" iPhone display to a "retina" display. Pentile is a tradeoff, you give up some sharpness for outdoor visibility. And to me, the colors look more natural, and less oversaturated.

Well said

OP
B

Bionic_Racer

Reaction score
nobreak1970 said:
What do you keep it on? 100% ?

I usually keep it around 40-50% and i can see it fine outside.

Sometimes at night ill turn it down to maybe 25% just because its a little bright for my eyes in darkness..

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
Dave12308 said:
I really do have a theory about all the Bionic hate, but the RAZR owners are going to chastise me for even suggesting it might be true - still, here's my theory.

You'll notice that alot of the "hate" comes from ex-Bionic owners who gave up their Bionic for a RAZR (or GNex for that matter). I sincerely believe that alot of the haters are those who "upgraded" expecting a device that was "blow me out of the water" better. And when they got a device that was "the same basic thing" they got mad - and had to hate on the Bionic to defend their own questionable decision in their own minds. Surprisingly, buyers remorse causes people to make strange claims.

OMG By Jove, I think you "NAILED IT" ROFL!!!

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
OMG By Jove, I think you "NAILED IT" ROFL!!!

Sort of like when you move out of an apartment to get away from lousy neighbors, and move into a new place - just to find out your new neighbors are even worse. And then you try and tell yourself "No, it's not that bad" so you don't kick yourself for moving in the first place.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I guess the black screen thing is unexplainable then, although it may be that they tweaked the proximity sensor operation with .893 and later. Glad it's not doing it anymore, but 5 times in 10 minutes is the worst i've ever heard of.

As for Gameloft, I like some of their games, others not so much. I do like Asphalt 6 (especially since I got it for $0.10 during the 10 cent sale) - I don't play the Gangstar games very much anymore though, now that the real thing (GTA III) is available for Android. They aren't my favorite developer though, much like Electronic Arts they seldom (if ever) update their games. I'm just glad they are finally on the Play Store and not their stupid mobile site.

Yeah, it would get pretty bad. It may have been an app causing it, but when 893 hit it never came back.

I would get some of their games when they were free on my OG (Dungeon, NOVA, and Sparta), but I never cared for the on screen controls. Then way too many of their games where either unusable (Hero of Sparta), or wouldn't support my device. Like I really wanted to play Eternal Legacy, but it didn't support my OG. So, I never got to play it. My final draw with them was Uno. I really wanted to use the bluetooth multiplayer, but it was reserved for "high end phones". For whatever reason the DX was high enough to download the extra data, but the Inc and Pro wasn't. Pro may have been screen resolution (HVGA), but I don't get why the Inc wouldn't be high enough.

Anyways, enough with my Gameloft rant.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
All these phones r quite similar to one another..

Yup, they are all overpowered and underutilized.

In other words, wait until ICS (with true multi core support) comes along, coupled with apps that are coded to properly support multiple threads. Once the apps catch up with the OS, we should be seeing levels of performance we hadn't prior.

kdivine981

Reaction score
Dave12308 said:
Yup, they are all overpowered and underutilized.

In other words, wait until ICS (with true multi core support) comes along, coupled with apps that are coded to properly support multiple threads. Once the apps catch up with the OS, we should be seeing levels of performance we hadn't prior.

+1!!
Couldn't have put it into perspective any better than that...

quizzard

Reaction score
I love my bionic. Two extended batteries and two regular batteries along with an external charger.

So what if verizon wants me to "upgrade" my grandfathered contract. This Bionic is gonna last forever, just like my OG.

B

bens42608

I love my bionic. Two extended batteries and two regular batteries along with an external charger.

So what if verizon wants me to "upgrade" my grandfathered contract. This Bionic is gonna last forever, just like my OG.

True but I might use my final upgrade To get the razr maxx 2mrw so when my bionic gets old I won't have to buy another 1 full retail

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

rumblee1

Reaction score
I've got to be honest, I love my bionic and I appreciate what It does for me every day. No issues. No problems. The only thing I had to do since getting this phone was buy the extended life battery so I could get thru the whole day with heavy use. I do have an upgrade but I just think moto phones are built better than samsung. That's why I'm waiting for the RAZR hd. I only hope moto keeps the 3300 battery in it. And yes, I'll keep my unlimited data plan and shovel out the full retail price of the HD.

whomhead

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet a lot of the people *****ing about the Bionic will be douching-up the threads for their new phones as well.

milski65

Reaction score
The reason I recommend upgrading is that ICS will likely be a .905-->ICS update only, you probably won't be able to upgrade direct from .902

I'm sure I will have to be on 905 when ics comes. I'll eventually take the update. It does appear people are having various results with the upgrade. Unfortunately not all of them are good.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2