why so much hating on the bionic lately??

Bionic_Racer

Reaction score
Even in our bionic forum!?!?

I love my phone.. its like the underdog of verizon's lineup.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i think its a great phone i have no problems with the 2 that are on my line

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
How much better does the razrs screen look than the bionic's? Or are they about even...?

IIRC the RAZR uses an Super AMOLED Advanced display which I believe are sharper in contrasts but not quite as good in sunlight as the Bionic. The difference may not even be noticed by some people.

Keep in mind that the Bionic was months late (see http://www.mobiledia.com/news/87568.html, http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/motorola-confirms-droid-bionic-delayed-until-q3-2011-20110420/ http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/leaked-timeline-dates-droid-charge-and-bionic-releases-20110418/ http://www.phonearena.com/news/Moto...D-BIONIC-with-the-Targa-to-replace-it_id18142 and http://www.droid-life.com/2011/04/2...lay-launching-at-same-time-as-4g-lte-on-xoom/) in coming out and there were many discussions about how much RAM it really had and whatnot. Because it came out so late some people were let down as it didn't match what they were expecting. Plus a lot of people have had problems with data dropping (I don't), which is happens to other Verizon 4G phones. It didn't help that the RAZR came out so quickly after the Bionic's release or that it has a locked bootloader. If the Bionic had come out when it was originally planned, then it would've been more popular.

I don't regret having a Bionic. It does what I want it to do.

Last edited:

kdivine981

Reaction score
I don't hate on my bionic, I only hate on the data drops! (Which, compared to yesterday are getting better...).

Actually I think this phone.. despite its sordid history...has incredible potential and is awesome for me for the next couple of years....

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I wouldn't say people hate it as much as they're fed up.

You have to remember not only was the bionic released 8 months after it was announced, but it had some horrible issues for 3 months after its release.

I could go on about what I went through with blank screens alone. Imagine having to do on average 5 battery pulls in 10 mins. All hoping that this update vzw is telling people is coming will actually fix it. We've put a lot of faith in updates. Plus what else did vzw have that was comparable to the bionic? Nothing at that time.

It was a trying 3 months till 893 came out and fixed a lot of those issues.

Then there's the data drops. Who knows if it's Verizon or Motorola or whatever. But when you've had a phone for 9 months, and having to deal with data drops. Some easily fixed and some requiring restarting the phone, or worse.

While it may not seem like a big deal. The stuff adds up over the course of 9 months. When you start wondering if the phone was really worth all the frustration.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

milski65

Reaction score
New owner of Bionic. Coming from Droid X. While the X still has great development still going on (multiple ics 4.0.4, gb ect), I can say the Bionic is really a great phone. I didn't have to deal with the growing pains most here have, but the specs are pretty freaking awesome for me. Better radio (by far), better screen (esp. in sunlight) KILLER stock battery. I'm extremely happy with it. I plan on keeping it rooted 902 for some time. Nothing to complain about.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Bionic was NOT 8 months late. Not the Bionic that was originally supposed to come out. That phone was codenamed the "Motorola Etna" and was a Tegra 2 device with 512MB of RAM. It was scrapped, allegedly due to an incompatibility with Motorola's LTE chipset.

The phone that came out as the Bionic came out right on time. The Motorola XT875 "Targa" was NOT meant to be the Bionic. Who knows what it was supposed to be called, but when the "Etna" failed to materialize, they simply recycled the name. It was an unfortunate case of people THINKING that the device was late due to its name. IMHO, they should have never recycled the Bionic name, and people wouldn't be confused about this.

The Bionic, RAZR, and Droid 4 are all a part of the same device "family" and were all supposed to complement each other. Like I said, there was no delay whatsoever.

Now onto the data drops. The Galaxy Nexus has data issues. The RAZR has data issues. The D4 has data issues. Verizon 4G LTE, in general, has data issues. It's sort of hard for Motorola to fix the issues when VZW keeps f'ing with the way the network registration works.

In other words, if the Bionic is frustrating you, you need to ask yourself "is VZW 4G LTE in general worth all the frustration?" - it's not Motorola's fault that the LTE network is a hodgepodge of different base station equipment, some with up to date firmware and others with outdated firmware. And if you had to do 5 battery pulls in 10 minutes, then your Bionic is broken. Plain and simple. There is ONE action that will consistently lock my device up (requiring a battery pull) - and that is letting the phone go to sleep while it is downloading SD card data for a Gameloft game. I don't know why it does this, but somehow I think the blame lies with Gameloft, and not Motorola.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
New owner of Bionic. Coming from Droid X. While the X still has great development still going on (multiple ics 4.0.4, gb ect), I can say the Bionic is really a great phone. I didn't have to deal with the growing pains most here have, but the specs are pretty freaking awesome for me. Better radio (by far), better screen (esp. in sunlight) KILLER stock battery. I'm extremely happy with it. I plan on keeping it rooted 902 for some time. Nothing to complain about.

.902 is outdated, though. .905 is the latest and greatest.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Lately? The Bionic has gotten grief from day one.

Sent by my new Droid Razr Maxx

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Dave12308 said:
And if you had to do 5 battery pulls in 10 minutes, then your Bionic is broken. Plain and simple. There is ONE action that will consistently lock my device up (requiring a battery pull) - and that is letting the phone go to sleep while it is downloading SD card data for a Gameloft game. I don't know why it does this, but somehow I think the blame lies with Gameloft, and not Motorola.

Well 893 fixed my blank screen battery pulling issue. Haven't had the issue since that update. So, I'm happy to say that my Bionic is not broken.

As for gameloft, I don't care for there stuff. So I don't download their stuff.

Though, I found out latter that after the first pull clearing cache would help.

milski65

Reaction score
.902 is outdated, though. .905 is the latest and greatest.

I'm so damn happy I can call from my house now without being on wireless I'm hesitant to upgrade. This phone is awesome just the way it is. May bootstrap, nandroid, and try 905 this weekend.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Guys, we all k.ow that the bionic is a solid device. But lets face it, there's garbage in all devices. Maxx's, razrs, gnex's, you name it.. :)

My bionic is awesome

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
One thing the Bionic will always have over all other smartphones is the display... no it's not the sharpest, the brightest, the most saturated colors...but DAMN is it great in sunlight (I work construction). I don't know how I'm going to ever go back to traditional display technology now.

That said, my 3.5mm jack has been screwed since 3 months after I bought it. I also broke my volume rocker, but I'm hard on phones given my profession.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Hugh Jass said:
One thing the Bionic will always have over all other smartphones is the display... no it's not the sharpest, the brightest, the most saturated colors...but DAMN is it great in sunlight (I work construction). I don't know how I'm going to ever go back to traditional display technology now.

I'm fine with display, and like you said you can't beat how well this phone is in sunlight.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Sad thing is that there was so much backlash and rhetoric about the visual sharpness before release and after initial release that there is no way Moto will ever use the same technology in another phone, so for us outdoorsy active people...back to the stone age with our super HD impossible to see screens.:icon_ nono2: