Why so many telemarketing calls!?

mitchb2

Reaction score
I never got these calls on my cell phone until I got my Droid.
I have the same phone number.

When you start a new contract does your number get thrown back into the fray?

It's really obnoxious. I have to answer calls from unknown callers because I've applied for many jobs.

I know that I've been on the national Do Not Call list since it was created.

ShowTime

Reaction score
I'm not on the Do Not Call list, never have been. I use my cell number as my contact number on everything and have for the last 6 years or so (had to since I didn't pay for land line at college or in any of my apartments since then). And I don't recall ever getting a telemarketing call to my cell. Maybe you're just unlucky? Have you signed up for anything recently and put your cell number down? On any of your job applications, did you agree to let them distribute your number? (I don't remember what company, but last year when I was applying for jobs, I remember one had something about keeping my privacy and only distributing my number and info to survey/data/etc companies... I said no... I also didn't get offered the job. hmmm)

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I have noticed an increase in telemarketing calls over the last 6 months. I have had my Droid a month or so. I have not noticed an increase just because of getting the Droid.

GerryG35

Reaction score
I got my Droid in December and I haven't noticed any increase in telemarketing calls but I never answer a call unless I recognize the number. I'd rather let the call go to voice mail and return the call. Interestingly, most of the calls I didn't answer (and we're talking about 2 or 3) did not leave a message so I guess they might have been telemarketers.

General_Lee86

Reaction score
I have not ever gotten any at all since I first got a cell phone almost 4 years ago I believe. It seems like just yesterday! LOL

lschicky

Reaction score
I had that happen when I signed up for my google voice number, I put it on the do not call list.

Pretty sure it's illegal for telemarketers to call your cell because it waste your minutes, thereby costing you money.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I never got them until some crappy scam biz hacked my friend's FB account and lured me in (thinking it was my friend). Once I signed up, talked to my friend in person, canceled my "membership", it was too late. It took about two months of doing the, "I'm sorry, what was your name? Today is blah blah blah at such-n-such time, and I'm telling you not to call again. I did not ask you to call."

They finally stopped.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I always ask for their personal phone number and address before asking them to take me off their call list.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Edit CPNI setting(s)

VZW WILL 'sell'/provide your number to it's partners and other marketers. You can disable that under your account settings ("view/edit CPNI settings" found under "My Profile" page).

OP
M

mitchb2

Reaction score
VZW WILL 'sell'/provide your number to it's partners and other marketers. You can disable that under your account settings ("view/edit CPNI settings" found under "My Profile" page).

Thanks. I would have NEVER found that.

zegolf

Reaction score
While not a direct resolution to your issue, one of the things I love about the Droid is the ability to directly route calls to voicemail. When I get a number I don't recognize, I'll search for the number and if it's a telemarketer, I'll add it to my contacts and then send it straight to voicemail. Most telemarketers won't leave messages, so this way you'll never hear from them again. I did this with Sirius and some guy at BJ's Wholesale Club that took my number from a survey I filled out for Windows and Doors and tried to sell me his personal business. Asshole.

qoncept

Reaction score
I always ask for their personal phone number and address before asking them to take me off their call list.
I did telemarketing part time for less than a month and didn't show up half the time. There's nothing original you can say to a telemarketer, but I swear, people asked for my personal phone number more often than they just hung up or said no. Don't even try to "get to them." You can't, and even if you do, you've just succeeded in making some 16 year old whose parent's made him get a job and couldn't find anything else upset.

Anyway, there's apparently 1 or 2 companies that are completely ignoring all of the telemarketing laws. Calling cell phones, calling more frequently than they're allowed, calling after hours, calling businesses, and ignoring the Do Not Call registry. The ones I was getting, I finally listened to it one day and it told me I could press 6 or something to be removed from the list. Believe it or not, it worked.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
GV is great for dealing with them. I just block them and from then on they get the "number no longer in service" message.