1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Why so many telemarketing calls!?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by mitchb2, Feb 25, 2010.

1. mitchb2

mitchb2 New Member

I never got these calls on my cell phone until I got my Droid.
    I have the same phone number.

When you start a new contract does your number get thrown back into the fray?

It's really obnoxious. I have to answer calls from unknown callers because I've applied for many jobs.

I know that I've been on the national Do Not Call list since it was created.
  2. ShowTime

ShowTime New Member

I'm not on the Do Not Call list, never have been. I use my cell number as my contact number on everything and have for the last 6 years or so (had to since I didn't pay for land line at college or in any of my apartments since then). And I don't recall ever getting a telemarketing call to my cell. Maybe you're just unlucky? Have you signed up for anything recently and put your cell number down? On any of your job applications, did you agree to let them distribute your number? (I don't remember what company, but last year when I was applying for jobs, I remember one had something about keeping my privacy and only distributing my number and info to survey/data/etc companies... I said no... I also didn't get offered the job. hmmm)
  3. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

I have noticed an increase in telemarketing calls over the last 6 months. I have had my Droid a month or so. I have not noticed an increase just because of getting the Droid.
  4. vabeach1

vabeach1 New Member

Very seldom on my cell. Maybe 4-5 a year.
  5. GerryG35

GerryG35 New Member

I got my Droid in December and I haven't noticed any increase in telemarketing calls but I never answer a call unless I recognize the number. I'd rather let the call go to voice mail and return the call. Interestingly, most of the calls I didn't answer (and we're talking about 2 or 3) did not leave a message so I guess they might have been telemarketers.
  6. General_Lee86

General_Lee86 New Member

I have not ever gotten any at all since I first got a cell phone almost 4 years ago I believe. It seems like just yesterday! LOL
  7. lschicky

lschicky New Member

I had that happen when I signed up for my google voice number, I put it on the do not call list.

Pretty sure it's illegal for telemarketers to call your cell because it waste your minutes, thereby costing you money.
  8. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

I never got them until some crappy scam biz hacked my friend's FB account and lured me in (thinking it was my friend). Once I signed up, talked to my friend in person, canceled my "membership", it was too late. It took about two months of doing the, "I'm sorry, what was your name? Today is blah blah blah at such-n-such time, and I'm telling you not to call again. I did not ask you to call."

They finally stopped.
  9. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

I always ask for their personal phone number and address before asking them to take me off their call list.
  10. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Edit CPNI setting(s)

VZW WILL 'sell'/provide your number to it's partners and other marketers. You can disable that under your account settings ("view/edit CPNI settings" found under "My Profile" page).
  11. mitchb2

mitchb2 New Member

Thanks. I would have NEVER found that.
  12. zegolf

zegolf New Member

While not a direct resolution to your issue, one of the things I love about the Droid is the ability to directly route calls to voicemail. When I get a number I don't recognize, I'll search for the number and if it's a telemarketer, I'll add it to my contacts and then send it straight to voicemail. Most telemarketers won't leave messages, so this way you'll never hear from them again. I did this with Sirius and some guy at BJ's Wholesale Club that took my number from a survey I filled out for Windows and Doors and tried to sell me his personal business. Asshole.
  13. butch350

butch350 New Member

Hey, thanks for the info - just changed my settings !
  14. qoncept

qoncept New Member

I did telemarketing part time for less than a month and didn't show up half the time. There's nothing original you can say to a telemarketer, but I swear, people asked for my personal phone number more often than they just hung up or said no. Don't even try to "get to them." You can't, and even if you do, you've just succeeded in making some 16 year old whose parent's made him get a job and couldn't find anything else upset.

Anyway, there's apparently 1 or 2 companies that are completely ignoring all of the telemarketing laws. Calling cell phones, calling more frequently than they're allowed, calling after hours, calling businesses, and ignoring the Do Not Call registry. The ones I was getting, I finally listened to it one day and it told me I could press 6 or something to be removed from the list. Believe it or not, it worked.
  15. takeshi

takeshi New Member

GV is great for dealing with them. I just block them and from then on they get the "number no longer in service" message.
  16. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo Member

Will that work if they are direct calling a number that is one of the numbers GV forwards to, or do they have to be calling the GV number directly for that to work?
  17. Technoman

Technoman New Member

I don't find an option for "CPNI Settings" anywhere on my account settings under My profile.

Can you provide more detail?
  18. tenguns

tenguns New Member

I'm getting a bunch of calls - and some very stubborn folks on the line I need to get rid of.

My vote would be for an app that will let me enter a command directly into the phone when I can't get someone to take me off their call list. This would instantly forward the call live to another number. Like a phone SPAM filter. So when I get a call from someone that just doesn't like the NO word - I can send them to my fax machine for a little tone treatment or something? The phone would automatically emit a fax screatch, chalkboard... something to make them think twice about calling again. Anything in the market like that? How about call forwarding to the Do Not Call List compaint line? :)
  19. smokiedabong

smokiedabong New Member

What is a telemarketing call ? I feel left out :laugh:
Search tags for this page

i am receiving alot of internatial calls suddenly why

i get so many calls
received many sales calls today

suddenly receiving a lot of scam telemarketing calls on cell phone

why am i getting so many 800 calls

why am i getting so many sales calls

why am i getting so many telemarketing calls

why are there so many sales jobs