Why so BLUE?

RecklessFable

Reaction score
I know reviews have been mentioned the AMOLED screen having a blue tint at an angle, but I went to the store today and it just seemed like it turns blue at VERY shallow angles. I actually hesitated and didn't buy it thing today.

I really want to want this phone, but man was it BLUE!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I know reviews have been mentioned the AMOLED screen having a blue tint at an angle, but I went to the store today and it just seemed like it turns blue at VERY shallow angles. I actually hesitated and didn't buy it thing today.

Yeah you're right, it does have a blue tint when the screen is off. But, when you turn the screen on the tint goes away and you have a bright, clear beautiful screen. From my experience you don't see the blue tint anytime the screen is active. I know the Razr doesn't have the highest rated screen (from a specification standpoint) but it is pretty darn good to my eyes...one of the best I've looked at.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
People trash all over this screen quite a bit, and I admit I was put off by the reviews before I went and checked it out. Bottom line yes there is a blue tint when the screen is off (which I kinda like actually), but when it is on this screen is great for me. I keep mine at 11% all the time and reading text and web browsing seems great. I watched a movie in HD on Netflix over 4G and it look just fine. These crazy people that want super RES screen that show no imperfections are never going to be happy with any phone, and the grass will always be greener.

For me the Razr is the best Droid I have owned, screen and everything included. But if a blue tint is something that keeps you from buying it then that is just personal preference. Might wait till the Gnex comes out you might like that one more, same screen but has higher resolution. That thing looks to be big for me and not to sure about the build quality, I will stick with Motorola for now all the others seems lacking.

OP
R

RecklessFable

Reaction score
I don't really care if it is blue when it is off, but the demo in the store was challenging to keep at an angle that wasn't tinting the colors while watching a video. Maybe the brightness was set too high?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
People trash all over this screen quite a bit, and I admit I was put off by the reviews before I went and checked it out. Bottom line yes there is a blue tint when the screen is off (which I kinda like actually), but when it is on this screen is great for me. I keep mine at 11% all the time and reading text and web browsing seems great. I watched a movie in HD on Netflix over 4G and it look just fine. These crazy people that want super RES screen that show no imperfections are never going to be happy with any phone, and the grass will always be greener.

For me the Razr is the best Droid I have owned, screen and everything included. But if a blue tint is something that keeps you from buying it then that is just personal preference. Might wait till the Gnex comes out you might like that one more, same screen but has higher resolution. That thing looks to be big for me and not to sure about the build quality, I will stick with Motorola for now all the others seems lacking.

Folks, I think the OP RecklessFablemeant when the screen is ON, it looks blue from a side angle view. S/He is right. See the images below...

2011-11-29_18-33-42_579.jpg2011-11-29_18-33-27_450.jpg

Whites turn a blue cast and the entire screen shifts to the blue end of the spectrum. I know this is a characteristic of this display, but I ask you, how often to you look at the screen from an angle anyway? :blink: I know of at least one manufacturer of screen protector which actually turns the entire screen completely black if viewed from an angle. This is a benefit for security reasons. If it really bothers you about the blue, get the security screen protector and then you'll see nothing but black from the side. :)

JP 5.56

Reaction score

I heard the GNex had a green overall tint, even when looking straight at it, it seems to show the greens more. Obviously we wont know more until the masses see it. My RAZR definitely does have a blue tint to it when the screen is turned on and at an angle, but, I'm used to that sort of stuff with LCD monitors anyway. Bothered me the first day I had it, it doesn't anymore.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't really care if it is blue when it is off, but the demo in the store was challenging to keep at an angle that wasn't tinting the colors while watching a video. Maybe the brightness was set too high?

I haven't noticed the "BLUE" that you mention at very shallow angles. Yeah, it does BEGIN to shift to "BLUE"at very slight angles, but not "BLUE".

milkshed27

Reaction score
I've noticed that all the demo Razrs at the 5 stores I've been to have a build date of Oct. 27th, although I'm not sure if that is of any significance. The screens on the demo versions seem less bright and the blueish-green tint is more obvious at slight angles to my eyes than on mine and my girlfriend's Razrs.

mzjin

Reaction score

Yup, I mentioned this already. It turns blue at any off-angle viewing. I don't know if this is the case with the new Galaxy Nexus but I'm hoping not.