Why shouldn't I use a task killer or anti-virus?

analternateego

Reaction score
I had horrible battery life when I first got my droid x. Upon suggestion from the verizon store I installed advanced task killer and since my battery life has been better like night and day. Why should I not use this?-----i don't currently use an anti-virus but I would like to know exactly why I shouldn't use it. Thanks for any and all help/advice you can give me!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Taskkillers are known to cause some problems on their own. I just got rid of mine as it was causing constant reloads of the home screen on my Evo. Also your battery life might be caused by some apps that you have downloaded and are running in the background. Always check the permissions of the the app you are going to download.
As for AntiVirus I have heard of some actually creating more harm than good, such stealing contact info and personal info. I also have not heard of any one getting a virus on their phone. Plus people only write viruses that will affect the vast majority of people. That's why Windows has so many problems and Linux has almost none. Android has many different OS versions and there are even more roms. So that creates a large population running many different variations of the operating system, thus making it a more difficult Target.
Hope this helps. Enjoy your Droid x. :)

Trying out Sprint for a month. Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk. 4G is pointless when you don't live in one of the few available network areas.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I had Antivirus for a short time. Had worse battery life with it and saw no use for it. If your downloading trusted apps from market you really have nothing to worry about. And I'm actually not worried about outside apps either.

ATK (taskiller) is good if you want to constantly be looking at your phone to see where your memory is at. Therefore using more battery because of display being on. This is just my opinion from my use of it. So no one jump my case for false info. And I do believe the Droid X maintains its memory pretty good on its own:)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Read the thread mwhartman linked for information regarding Task Killers

as for Anti-virus.... there aren't any viruses on Android that will just randomly show up... they can only gain access through some type of download... mainly an app download, in which case the permissions the apps requests will be listed before installation is approved. Just pay attention to what you download... ie a Media player does not need access to SMS... this would be a red flag...

...but running an anti-virus on your device for real time protection is only going to slow your device's performance down and the cons greatly outweigh the benefit.